Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My problem was that his light punishment was not related to his viscous cruelty.
And that is the fault of Virginia, not his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
This says it all. I do not think he is a good man.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You know, some have said it was the way he was raised. I don't buy it. Even the most impoverished starving person knows in his heart it is WRONG to hurt an innocent creature- either kid or animal. How does poverty excuse this kind of cruel behavior. he might have been raised without love or caring (I don't know) but taking it out on animals is not how most people deal with that kind of background. I think he was trying to be "Da Man" with his cousins and other relatives and dog fighting was/is accepted as a way to prove masculinity.

While working with abused dogs would be a good start, I think working with the people who accept this kind of behavior as the norm are the ones who need work as well. And why wouldn't a state government try to stop this kind of activity? What reason do they give for refusing to change the laws or deal harshly with those who break the laws already on the books? I can't wrap my mind around this issue. It bothers me on so many levels.
My reference to this had nothing to do with poverty but rather dog fighting & c*ck fighting have been going on in the deep south for decades, My thought was as a child growing up he may have been exposed to this and thought it perfectly normal....just saying.

People who attend these "events" are just as dispicable imo but rarely do we see any repercussions against them..

During the Running of the Bulls I'm always cheering for the bull

Last edited by njkate; 08-31-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
I wonder if those people who say we should forgive him because he served his sentence will sing the same tune when he commits murder.

It's only a matter of time. He's proven he has no respect for any kind of life--what makes people think he wouldn't do the same to a person?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I wonder if those people who say we should forgive him because he served his sentence will sing the same tune when he commits murder.

It's only a matter of time. He's proven he has no respect for any kind of life--what makes people think he wouldn't do the same to a person?
Who is saying you should forgive him? I've read this entire thread and haven't heard anyone say that. I guess other people only read what they want to hear.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Folks, let's contain this convo to pretty much yes or no - the OP is a speculative question anyway, none of us will ever know for sure what Michael Vick may or may not feel in his heart, or if he will ever live it down. Please don't resort to attacking another's opinion. Explanations for why you feel the way you do are fine as long as they are not personal attacks toward another poster.

Let's tread carefully here. Thank you.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And that is the fault of Virginia, not his.
It was a plea deal, and one that Vick did not have to accept. Like any other criminal, he could have simply plead guilty to his crimes and taken a much harsher punishment. He choose instead to take a plea deal that included not serving any time for the actual cruelty he committed.

If he truly felt remorse, he could have stood up in court and plead guilty on all counts. He did not do so.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Who is saying you should forgive him? I've read this entire thread and haven't heard anyone say that. I guess other people only read what they want to hear.
My exact words were "I wonder if those people who say we should forgive him..."

I did not say "I wonder if you people posting in this thread..."

I wasn't referring to people only in this thread; I was making a general statement. There are people ELSEWHERE who believe he should be forgiven.

That was the point of my post. People in general (not necessarily in this post) argue that he should be forgiven because he served his time, but when he commits a more heinous crime in the eyes of the law they'll wonder why he was allow to do so.

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 08-31-2012 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Another poster's rudeness does not excuse my own

Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
It was a plea deal, and one that Vick did not have to accept. Like any other criminal, he could have simply plead guilty to his crimes and taken a much harsher punishment. He choose instead to take a plea deal that included not serving any time for the actual cruelty he committed.

If he truly felt remorse, he could have stood up in court and plead guilty on all counts. He did not do so.
Have you ever read or seen any criminal not take a plea deal that would give them less time?
Not to make light of it but we have murderers, gang bangers etc etc etc that take plea deals every day, so why wouldn't he?

If I'm not mistaken didn't this come down to Federal charges and not the State of Virginia charges/ Been awhile so I forget

Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Will Michael Vick ever live down what he did to dogs?

Not in my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs