Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM

30,563 posts, read 16,251,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had a friend who worked at a shelter. She told me one day a man came in with a u haul loaded with all his possessions. he had lost his house and his family and all he had left was his dog who was sick. he sat in his truck and cried and sobbed and held onto that dog and talked to him for over half an hour before he came in to give the dog to the shelter. His life was in turmoil. He had to go back to his parents, they flat out refused to take in him and his dog and he felt like he had no choice. She ended up taking the dog herself and caring for him till his death instead of having him die in the shelter. She was in contact with the young man the whole time.

I'm sure there are many tales in our country of foreclosures, lost jobs, people in desperation and anguish who are trying to hold it together. These people I can understand. But the folks who grow tired of a dog, don't want to deal with the old age problems, etc---those people I have no patience with.

I like your friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,214,643 times
Excellent post, no, and my heart breaks for those who have to make that kind of decision and their pets. I pray I am never in that situation.

People like the ones who dumped Mickey because they got a younger dog can go fry themselves though. I am 59 and never will get another kitten or puppy. When Mick passes over that bridge and the time comes that I go rescue another animal, it will be an older one, that's for sure.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,254,457 times
Quote:
I had a friend who worked at a shelter. She told me one day a man came in with a u haul loaded with all his possessions. he had lost his house and his family and all he had left was his dog who was sick. he sat in his truck and cried and sobbed and held onto that dog and talked to him for over half an hour before he came in to give the dog to the shelter. His life was in turmoil. He had to go back to his parents, they flat out refused to take in him and his dog and he felt like he had no choice. She ended up taking the dog herself and caring for him till his death instead of having him die in the shelter. She was in contact with the young man the whole time.

I'm sure there are many tales in our country of foreclosures, lost jobs, people in desperation and anguish who are trying to hold it together. These people I can understand. But the folks who grow tired of a dog, don't want to deal with the old age problems, etc---those people I have no patience with.
I was just wiping tears watching Secret Life of Bees and now you've made me cry again. That was a wonderful thing your friend did for both dog and the man.

Pets add to the good quality of life and as others have noted, choosing an older dog or cat to share our senior years is a very good thing to do. It's a shame there are so many senior communities that don't allow pets.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
My sister was heartbroken when she had to put her dog down last year. He was her first dog, and he was only 11 years old--had a bad heart and he just couldn't breathe anymore despite the medication they gave him. I felt so bad for her.

But then...a few weeks later she started to look, and she came across this Alaskan Eskimo who had been brought to the shelter once before. He had a chip, and they had called the owner, who came and got him. The next year, the same dog was found on the street again and brought into the shelter. They called the owner again--and he never returned the phone call.

Anyway, he's happy as anything now, and so is my sister. He gets along wonderfully with her cat--you should see them play together. It seems as if the timing of this dog getting "lost" again was meant to work out just so that he could be my sister's dog. He has that smiley look that the Alaskan Eskimoes have and he just wriggles from head to tail when you enter the house. So cute.

I can't have a dog because my hours and commute are such that I am away from the house for too long, and it wouldn't be fair to a dog. I do have cats. But I'm hoping that someday when I either can work closer to home or can retire that I can have a dog, too, and I will get an older dog myself.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,954 times
Quote:

Amen! Now, will you please pass a tissue?! That just broke my heart...

Diesel, was relinquished to the county shelter on his third escape. (Sometimes, I think dogs run away for a reason.) Anyway, his owners did not want to pay the fine a third time and left him in county lock-up.

I found him there six months later. I was shocked they had, had him for so long. I'll be honest, he had me at hello. He has eyes the color of honey. When he looked up at me, my heart melted. I put my hand close to the kennel and he licked my hand...I knew he had chosen me and I had to bail him out. (I called hubby and said he needed to come immediately and see this dog.) Hubby, knew the translations was, "honey, we are getting a new dog." (LOL)

Although he was only four at the time (I've had him a year now.) I wasn't looking for a puppy...and I cannot imagine life without him. I would NOT change anything!

I've learned some things. If your boyfriend wants you to get rid of your pet...Get rid of the boyfriend (or husband). Your pet is MORE loyal. If someone does not accept you and your pet, they will never accept you. There will always be "something" YOU need to change for them. If they are jealous of your pet ((RED FLIPPING FLAG)) run from this person as fast as you can!!! -Just saying!

Diesel is now an inside dog. Loves being spoiled and having a playmate (Spanky.)

One last thing, we have an 8' Marlin on the wall in the basement. Diesel had been here for three months before he saw it up on the wall...but let me tell you, he was going to protect me from that monster...he barked at the Marlin and I could hardly contain my laughter. It wasn't his goofy bark. It was his, "I'm serious and I mean business bark."

Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post

I've learned some things. If your boyfriend wants you to get rid of your pet...Get rid of the boyfriend (or husband). Your pet is MORE loyal. If someone does not accept you and your pet, they will never accept you. There will always be "something" YOU need to change for them. If they are jealous of your pet ((RED FLIPPING FLAG)) run from this person as fast as you can!!! -Just saying!
That is definitely a red flag and bears repeating again and again for all ages looking/hoping for a mate or already with an animal-hating mate. I married one of them and got rid of him long ago. From that point forward, I never allow anyone in the same room with my pets unless I know beyond a doubt that the person is kind to animals.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,550 times
I decided to share the story of how I got my dog.
At the time my dog was born, I was in major transition in my life, as I was sleeping on a friend's couch.

The friend that I was staying with, owned my dog's mom. So, I got to see my dog, Cerberus, and his litter mates being born. My dog was given to a mutual friend, Sam, who I was spending time with. (He is the one who gave my dog his name of Cerberus)

Sam had to go away for some time, his return date was uncertain. I was asked to keep the dog till he returned.

Well, this little dog is getting bigger and bigger. I spent hours in school and had to leave the dog in the car, my class was in the evening. The way I justified leaving this animal in my car for an hour, short break, hour.. was we would go roller blade every day. I ran that dog till his tongue was dragging. He would pull me around on the blades. Then he would sleep for the few hours in the car.

Anyway, I could barely feed myself. Many meals were sharing a burrito. Or I would buy him food and I wouldn't eat. This dog was with me 7-24. I slept in my car many nights as I was welcome and had places to stay, but not the dog.

My son's father told me, "You need that dog like you need a hole in your head"

I started thinking about the type of life I could give this adorable little puppy and decided the best thing to do was to ask Sam's best friend to keep the dog till Sam returned.

I made the call and took the dog to the friend. The next 4 days were miserable for me. I made up some story about how Sam wanted me keep the dog and I went and got him back.

OMG, that dog was so happy to see me. He would not leave me site for days. I never thought that the dog may have gotten attached to me, I was only thinking that I couldn't provide for him.

Dog's don't care if you live under a rock or in a nice house. If they love you, all they need is you.

Reclaiming him was the best thing I could have ever done. He will be 11 years old here on the 6th.
I have slept in my car with my dog. Hopefully I never have to again, but I certainly would if it came down to it.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,147 times
your friend is an ANGEL

Quote:

Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Oh, that shelter story... my. Bless the worker who eased the sad man's anguish, both by taking the dog and by staying in touch with that man. She might well have saved his sanity and his heart.
I hope all of us would do the same kind of thing if at all possible, when faced with this kind of thing. A lot of people lose their housing because of the economy, and a lot of rentals don't allow animals. It's tragic.
But for those who "get rid" of their animals? A pox on you and yours.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,681,583 times
Quote:

This gives me hope for mankind. Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs