Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times

Advertisements

again different locations require different things while YOUR area might be lax about that stuff others might not be...

do i agree with paying a tax on my pet? not nessicarily... (and all my dogs ARE chipped, as are my cats, my goats and my macaw)
and in my town they only have to be UTD on rabies with a valid cert in hand...

but that doesnt mean its the same for every location.

the town in which my parents live animal control come out to random neighborhoods once every 3 months for "random checks" where theyll pick a neighborhood and knock on random doors of people that look like they have pets to see if they are lisenced...
the fine is up to $250 per dog if they are not (and an additional up to $500 if the rabies is not up to date)
rip off YES...but the license fee is $10 for a spay/neutered dog and $20 for an intact dog, so most would rather pay the $10-$20 than risk a $250 fine...and since its never on a set schedual (they could do neighborhood A in spring of 2011, neigbhorood F in summer, neighborhood z in fall neigborhood B in winter...then they may decide to re-do neighborhood z in spring of 2012 ect...

if your "not home" they leave a notice that you have to provide a copy of the inforation requested... ect...

so obviously every town county state ect has different mthods of using your pets against you for their monetary gain....so when i lived there id rather pay $10 for a 3 yr lisence for each of my dogs than a $250 fine per dog on the property not licensed should we end up being on their spot check list at some point...
now the town im in doesnt have requirments i simply eep the rabie sup to date because thats the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
I don't know but I have both my dogs registered. Cats need not be registered in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
register their dogs and cats with their county? Seriously.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
I like to think that when raising my children I was a good parent. Kids are grown, have their own homes, have good jobs, respectful and very bright children and don't borrow money from me. Why would I not be a good "dog parent". I undertook to take on these lovely dogs and they have their immunizations on time, heartworm and flea and tick meds on the 1st of every month, are chipped and they get groomed and bathed regularly and are fed the best I can afford. They are walked, played with and one is enrolled in agility classes. THIS is what you take on when you get a pet....warts and all. Why would you want to flaunt the system and risk losing the dog or worse....have the dog pay with its life because you were so stupid. I swear, half the world's problems are because of the "stupids"!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,927 times
Both my dogs are lic. My female has a microchip. Heaven forbid they ever got out. I would hope some person would help them get back to me. You can enter the lic number from the dog tag and it will give you the owners phone number. (on the animal control web site) So the animal control never has to be called and the dog does not have to get impounded.

Breed bans and other restrictions are one reason people do not license their dogs. Bans and restrictions force people to go "underground" and hide the pets they are no longer allowed to have. I would never give up my animals if their breed became banned. I would move or hide them.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Its basically IMHO just another tax but yes it is inexpensive and its one of those pay a little now or risk paying a lot later (if you get busted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs