Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

I am going on a brief trip (5 days). I have six dogs that live well together with little to no fighting. I have a fanced 3/4 acre area for them with enough dog shelters for all to stay out of the rain.

I have two options- I can take them to a kennel @ 10 dollars each a day or I can hire a dog sitter to come by once a day to check on them.

Which one would you choose? I believe they would be safe in the fenced yard and might enjoy it better than being locked in a cage at the kennel.

Is there any downside to this idea (dog sitter)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
We just moved from CT to MA, and I found a great dog-sitter. She stays in our house and is with Artie 24/7, just like I am. That's a near-perfect solution. (It would only be 100% perfect if I were still there.)

Artie doesn't do well in a kennel situation. But Artie aside, they say that keeping dogs in their known environment is always a better option than having two things go "wrong": (1) You're not there, like they're used to. (2) Taking them out of their home and putting them in a place that they're unfamiliar with.

Ideally, I'd love if your dogs were INSIDE the house and the dog sitter coming many more times than once per day, but given your two choices -- and as long as you honestly think that they'd be happy (and safe) outside all that time -- then I choose the dog-sitter option.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM

I will be leaving them outside (will be going away for thanksgiving) but since I am in Tennessee it shouldn't get too cold for them.

I probably won't be giving the sitter access to the house. All I really need is to have the sitter make sure none of the dogs are injured and feed them. I am leaning towards this option because 1) I know it is stressful going to the kennel. 2) The local kennels are mostly "part timers" around here and they only let the animals out once or twice a day.

This is the first time I have considered this option over a kennel so I am looking for any "downside".

Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I will be leaving them outside (will be going away for thanksgiving) but since I am in Tennessee it shouldn't get too cold for them.

I probably won't be giving the sitter access to the house. All I really need is to have the sitter make sure none of the dogs are injured and feed them. I am leaning towards this option because 1) I know it is stressful going to the kennel. 2) The local kennels are mostly "part timers" around here and they only let the animals out once or twice a day.

This is the first time I have considered this option over a kennel so I am looking for any "downside".
If the sitter has no access to the house, how will he/she make sure that they always have fresh water and feed them their meals?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
If the sitter has no access to the house, how will he/she make sure that they always have fresh water and feed them their meals?
I've got a well with a spout on it and the food can be put in a waterproof container.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
To the OP, not sure if you know, but I work at a boarding facility. I and most of our staff members are a rare gem. I have been there 10 years, the manager 15 years, one of the supervisors about 6 years and so on. Having said that I can see both sides of the coin, but might have another idea.

We have some folks around here that either have a fair amount of animals; dogs, cats horses etc and boarding would be a tad crazy. Some of our vet clinics actually have vet techs that do in home pet sitting. You would have someone that actually knows how to care for pets, can recognize signs of injury or illness better than the 12 year old neighbor kid and is also there to make sure no one disturbs your home.

In the event you do have no other option than to board them, please consider taking them in for a few day trials ahead of time to get them a little acclimated to the kennel and the staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs