Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 AM

436 posts, read 1,525,718 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago I gave me dog k9 advantage for fleas since it seems frontline stopped working around here. It seemed to work for the first few days then the fleas started coming back. I read on their website that sometimes if there are a lot of fleas the dog should be treated again in two weeks. So yesterday I treated him again with k9 advantage because we were getting upwards of 15-20 fleas off him every day for the past several days.

Last night the dog was shivering and apparently threw up a couple of times. He did not want to get up this morning and did not eat anything. I carried him outside to go pee and when I put him down and we started walking he put his tail up and walked and went pee and poop. He seemed like he was feeling a little better but he still wouldn't eat and just wants to lay around. He's usually not too active in the early morning anyway though.

I'm concerned that his symptoms might be caused by the flea meds. I took him outside and washed any residual stuff off him with dish soap. Now he's just laying in the sun on the floor shivering. He has thin skin and not a lot of fur so he shivers frequently. His sweater is currently in the dryer so I will put it on him when it gets out. Should I take him to the vet or wait to see if he gets better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,113,499 times
I'd take him to the vet. Here are my two reasons:

1. I'm a worry-wart. If I have to ask myself "Should I take him to the vet?" then I should take him. It's that "when in doubt" thing... do the safe thing.

2. It's Friday. I don't know if your vet is open on the weekend, but I'd hate to think that your poor pup is suffering today... and might have to suffer through the weekend, waiting for you to call the vet on Monday.

Better safe than sorry is always my motto in these cases.

I hope that he's fine.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,482,152 times
I would. I know sometimes it is a hard call to make ...especially when you can remember the times you drove like mad to take a limp as a dish rag dog to the vet only to have him suddenly perk up and become the clown of the waiting room. My car does the same thing to me at times.....the grinding, spitting,choking suddenly gives way to a perfectly tuned machine as soon as the mechanic sits in the driver's seat.

When it comes to safety and health, I never regret erring on the side of caution . I often ask myself if I don't take him to the vet, and it is serious , how would I feel? Toxicity is serious stuff and I would want professional guidance.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,482,152 times
Great point about it being Friday! Rather deal with my own vet and not the emergency vet if possible.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,150,704 times
Yes take him to the vet because my little dog I had , I put something on him for fleas and he got sick too and my mother said I was being overly concerned and he ended up dying he was poisoned from the flea meds . I have never felt so bad and my mother was cruel and hard about animals so after that dog died i did not get too many more until I left her house . But moral to it is please get your dog to the vet had I done so i might have had many more years with that dog . Please take your dog to the vet .Please let us know how he comes out too thanks

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Ok, he has perked up a bit and he ate his bowl of food and just had some water. He is still laying in the sun but he is no longer shivering.

I see the point about it being friday and if he was still as lethargic as he was earlier this morning I would have already taken him in. Thankfully the vet he goes to has emergency services after hours and weekends. I'm sure it will cost a bundle more but at least if I need to I know he'll see someone who has access to his file. They only have walk-ins during the week and they are mornings until 11:30 or afternoons starting at 1. I'm going to give it another hour and a half and see how he is. If he keeps improving then I'll try to ride it out for the weekend. If he stops improving then he's going in for sure.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,345,689 times
Did you call the vet to see what they think? This morning's behavior was not normal, and depending upon the age, size, etc. of your dog, it could be a problem. Just call and see what they say.

My vet is always happy to advise as best they can. Yes, they often say "we would need to see her", but they have also said, "wait and see" on multiple occasions. Good luck and I hope everything will be ok.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,571,043 times
I'm assuming you've already taken care of it. If there is a next time, first thing I would do is call your vet. Let them know what you did and the symptoms. They'll likely have you bring your pet in, but for some things they may suggest a home remedy to try first. Once, we found a bottle of Rimdyl torn open. We didn't know which dog did it, so we called the vet and they suggested giving them hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and to watch them for problems.

Also, vets do take emergencies. I'd consider poisoning (if that's what it is), an emergency. We had a GSD who had gastric torsion (didn't know it at the time). He just didn't look or act right, so I carried him to the car and ran him to the vet (wife called telling them we were coming in). That saved him because he would have gone into shock if we waited until that afternoon.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM

We just got back from the vet. We spent almost two hours there since it is walk ins.

The vet said he didn't think the flea meds caused his symptoms. They ran blood work and did a stool sample and everything came out fine. The vet thinks he might have a GI problem and gave him some antibiotics for that. We also got some anti vomiting/anti diarrhea meds in case he continues to vomit.

He has perked up a little more but he's still not 100%. I feel better having taken him in, but my wallet sure doesn't.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,113,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post

He has perked up a little more but he's still not 100%. I feel better having taken him in, but my wallet sure doesn't.
I'm glad that you took him in.

As for your wallet pain, even if you hadn't gotten meds for his potential GI issue, think of it as money well-spent for your peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs