Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We took our black lab into the vet today, and received medication for her hip. She's about 10 years old now. We got her all checked over and medicine for her, but he wants to x-ray her hips and knees. I forgot to ask him (and we went Friday at 5 pm), do they recommend surgery or other interventions if the arthritis is really bad? I'm just wondering what to expect.

Please forgive the silly question as I work in the medical field, but if a human's parts go bad, we just usually replace them. Not sure what they will do for my dog - hopefully the medicine will work, and she won't have to have injections or surgery. I will do what it takes to keep her happy and healthy, though; I love her!!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM

207 posts, read 535,626 times
If you truly trust in our vet then yes go ahead. But labs are expected to have hip problems.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
Just remember, she is also 10 years old.
She has lived a nice long life, and she is a senior in her breed.
If the medicine is working, why do anything else?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
if its arthritis theres nothign other than medication a vet will do, especially at her age...
y guess is he things its dysplaysia rather than arthritis and thus surgery could be done however i personally woudlnt risk it given her age. assuming shes getting around fine and is doing well with meds id see no point in risking surgery of any kind on a dog her age.

id be calling and asking WHY they want the xrays, what the expect them to show and of what benefit/course of action they would lead to. given 10 is "old" for a lab, not ancient by any means but shes certain no spring chicken, i cant see doing surgery and it would seam to me that xrays would be overkill...

Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
You may also ask the vet about glucosamine and fish oil supplements. Our vet suggested them for my old dogs and it seems to a lot.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
You may also ask the vet about glucosamine and fish oil supplements. Our vet suggested them for my old dogs and it seems to a lot.
It helps my two labs.

They are 13.

I think Angel would not have made it this far without it.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks, all; I appreciate the feedback so much.

I forgot to tell you that she is already on glucosamine plus another supplement. The two supplemental meds that she has been taking help but not really when it gets too cold out or she gets off the leash during our walks and wants to run around. What really helped her the most was the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory that she was on before we moved down here, so we just got more of that and more glucosamine.

I am sure if she didn't have the glucosamine it would be a lot worse, however. This vet said the other supplement (a milk protein) wouldn't hurt her but probably wouldn't help much. It was over $100 so we didn't buy more of that one.

Hopefully she will do fine on it. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,946 times
They don't do knee or hip replacements on dogs. For hip displasia they will do an FHO where they remove the top ball of the thigh bone so there is nothing to "pop out" of the hip joint. I don't know what they would do for arthritis.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
That is incorrect-hip replacements ARE done on dogs regularly. (Though FHO's are as well)

They are not likely to do a hip replacement (THR) on a 10 year old dog though if she has a cruciate injury they may do a TPLO** -- Hips most folks are able to treat with medicines but if it is the cruciate ligament (and labs are particularly prone to cruciate injuries) surgery is usually the best option. But a good vet should be able to tell if it is the cruciate by doing physical manipulation (shelf test)....I would do the x-rays if it were my dog (I did for my old guy who wound up having some back problems)

Hopefully the dog in question is very lean and kept active with low impact type activities -- walking in chest high water is particularly good. Swimming may or may not be because they tend to overextend.

**which is pretty extensive but it depends on level of tear, weight of dog ect. Big dogs are more likely to need the TPLO instead of a simple ligament repair.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the information. The dog is overweight so we are working on that also. After yesterday's dose of the anti-inflammatory, she was hopping around like a puppy on our walk. Will keep a close eye on her.

Appreciate your input so much - thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs