Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

DH and I are thinking of getting a dog. We have never had a rescue dog, and would like to give an unwanted dog a home, but I notice that the applications are so lengthy and invasive, and dependant upon the whims of the person who runs the rescue, that I do not feel like subjecting myself to it.
One of them actually said "If you hunt, or talk like Jeff Foxworthy, do not apply. Huh? I am just guessing that Jeff Foxworthy's dog would be loved and lucky.

Its no wonder that people go to puppy mills for dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
All depends on your own comfort zone.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM

32 posts, read 65,744 times
If you live in or near some small towns, most of them have a town-run animal control that will usually just let you adopt an animal with no complicated application process. A lot of the small shelters are overlooked, too, so adopting from them is a very good thing.

The downside is some of them don't spay/neuter or even give basic medical care, so you'll be stuck with paying that yourself. But they charge very little, if anything at all, for adoption fees.

This is how it is in Texas, anyway. Don't know about other places.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
People go to puppy mills because they want puppies and the majority of dogs in shelters or rescue groups are adult dogs.

It takes a big commitment to take in animals with emotional baggage or physical challenges, illnesses, or injuries and invest your time, love and money to make them adoptable. You love that dog almost like a child. But to help more dogs, you have to let it be adopted. Would you just hand it over to someone who writes a check or would you try and gather enough information to convince yourself the new owner is committed to providing a wonderful life for the animal you just poured your heart into?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
anybody know where to find the thread about the guy looking for a large breed dog and got so ticked about the adoption process? This is not a new subject here at all.
Be patient and please do not buy from a puppy mill or a backyard breeder. It's just so wrong on so many levels.

read this :http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...rse-puppy.html

Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Personally, I think many "pet rescuers", have a "hoarder" mentality. Many have hyper control issues, which is part of the OCD, that is a pathology of the "hoarder" mentality.
Animal hoarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wish that there was another classification for this pathology, aside from "Hoarding", because I believe it is on a continuum. Not all animal hoarders have animals living in filth. My Mother is a cat hoarder, her home is not filthy. She scoops her cat boxes several times a day. Again, the OCD...

Anyway, back to your issue. I agree, many animal rescues are over the top. Really, do I need a home visit and credit check to get a cat? No. I rejected all animal rescue agencies, and called a person on Craigslist, and got a cat. No fingerprinting required.

I suggest you do the same.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
DH and I are thinking of getting a dog. We have never had a rescue dog, and would like to give an unwanted dog a home, but I notice that the applications are so lengthy and invasive, and dependant upon the whims of the person who runs the rescue, that I do not feel like subjecting myself to it.
One of them actually said "If you hunt, or talk like Jeff Foxworthy, do not apply. Huh? I am just guessing that Jeff Foxworthy's dog would be loved and lucky.

Its no wonder that people go to puppy mills for dogs.
There's a dog at your local pound right now who wants to be your dog. You won't need to fill out a lengthy application, probably none at all. Each dog who's adopted means one more who's alive on Christmas morning. Just remember: white meat only and absolutely no skin.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-09-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
If you're not comfortable with a rescue groups approval process, definitely go to the shelter before going to the puppy farm.

Shop around. It's possible to find a good rescue. There's no reason to adopt through a crazy person's requirements. Our application and approval process wasn't very difficult for our hound. I don't remember the questions on the application. They were fairly normal such as ages of people in the household and number, ages and types of pets. They also required a vetrenarian reference, just a name and phone number to call to verify that we took care of our pets. We weren't even required to have a fenced in yard, but we have to guarantee that he would be on a leash and supervised when outside. There was a home visit that clearly was only to determine we are who we are and that we didn't have any ill intentions towards animals (think dog fighting, or any other sick thing people do to animals).

Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There was a home visit that clearly was only to determine we are who we are and that we didn't have any ill intentions towards animals (think dog fighting, or any other sick thing people do to animals).
Good point. If a potential adopter won't agree to a home visit, then he/she agrees to take a pass on the dog.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 PM

482 posts, read 874,756 times
This is SO true. You can usually tell within 5 minutes of talking to someone on the phone if they are the kind of people you would send an animal to. Sure, there are things they may hide but it's the same thing with seeing someone's house. They still may hide stuff. When we looked into local rescues, they wanted upfront money, had a slow response time, and basically wanted a dna test. I have nothing to hide but felt uncomfortable giving a stranger my money or letting them inside my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs