Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,200 times

Advertisements

Hello

I hope somebody can advise me.

We rescued a 6 month old collie lab cross around 6 weeks ago. He had been with a family with 2 kids from 14 weeks of age. They were going to give him to a pound who put dogs down so we decided to rescue him. They said it was because although he was affectionate and protective of the kids, he would steal biscuits and food from their hands and they were worried the younger child would get bit. They also said he didnt like any visitors to the house except themselves. This is all I know about his history (don't know really how they treated him or if he was from a puppy mill etc).

When we went to collect him, he ran to his bed in their house and buried his head immediately. When we sat down on the sofa (which was next to his bed) he dashed off to the older child, sat next to him and started growling and going crazy at us. In the car home he just kept his head buried.

My husband carried him out of the car with his lead on, and placed him in the garden to walk to the house, but he squirmed and pulled and slipped and broke his lead and collar. My other half ended up chasing him around the neighbourhood until he caught him.

He already had problems, but this incident I fear has just made things worse. It is 6 weeks later now. For the first few days he wouldnt move from his bed and just weed himself. After a few days I spent the day sitting next to his bed, talking to him and stroking him. I took him for walks, at first he just weed himself and tried to get away from me and hide under every bush. After a few days he started to come out of his bed to me and follow me around the house, enjoy his walks .etc. However, if I try to put a harness on him he often still wees himself. He is fine with just leads. I walk him 4 x a day as I worry about letting him loose in the garden after him running off on the first day. On walks, he stops dead when he sees another person. Some he lets fuss him and others he goes crazy at!

He hates my husband. My husband has tried sitting next to his bed as I did, but he gets up and runs off. He will go on walks with him (not wagging his tail, but not squirming either), but as soon as they get back he reverts back to being scared and growling. If he enters the living room and my husband is there he will go crazy, growling and barking and run back upstairs. He will very occasionally take a treat from him after 10 minutes but then runs immediately off. He was taking treats etc from after a week of having him, and no improvement at all since.

My mother lives with us and he is ok with her, growled a little at first but now will walk past her, ignores her, sometimes follows her around.

He goes crazy if adults visit (men or women), jumping around and growling / barking, to the point where he can't be loose if we have visitors as I'm not sure what will happen.

He seems to have big people problems, especially my husband. We have 2 cats, who he will follow around and sniff but gets on with. He also seems to like other dogs in the street but hasnt had that many encounters to tell.

I would like to take him to a class or something but I dont see how I can because he would be hide, growl, bark, squirm and not participate at all.

I have had conflicting advice on this. A behavioural expert has said for my husband to completely ignore him. The senior vet at our local practice said he should become his sole carer - all walks and feeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,378,038 times
It sound like the herding breed temperment is dominant and they can develop OCD behaviors in a heart beat and can be very sensitive.

First, find a very good trainer who can help you, this will be a project but in the end it will pay off.
Second, keep in mind it takes some time to trust any of you so you must be patient.
Third, get down on his level by sitting on the floor, let him come to you and explore, the dog has trust issues and needs to learn to feel everything is OK.
Fourth, take very very little steps, everything will be a breakthrough for him and reward with lots of praise.

Congrats on your rescue and lets see some pics and what did you name him? BTW, if you don't like his name you can change it, he'll learn it very quickly

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 AM

Thank you for the advice!

His name is Jake, we did change it, he never responded to his old name strangely.

I am new to this so if anybody knows how I can upload a picture that would be good!

He's extremely skittish, he goes crazy if he hears next door and runs off, when the post comes. On the other hand he's obsessed with me and follows me all day when the other half is at work. If he is upstairs and hears me downstairs moving he races down to see if he's missing out.

My husband has spent alot of time sitting on the floor but the dog just leaves. He used to stay in his bed and bury his head, but the last week or so he jumps over him and leaves, he won't be anywhere near him. Even if my usband holds out a big piece of beef he growls under his breath and runs off, and then comes back into the doorway and keeps doing that over and over.

He is making massive progress with me as he seemed completely 'wild' when we got him. He responds to 'no' now and 'in your bed'. He's not so great on his walks, he pulls alot and crosses in front nearly tripping me up alot, and if I'm just taking him around the garden to relieve himself rather than a proper walk, he will just keep going in circles back to the gate and eventually just stand still staring at me. But one thing at a time I guess.

It's just in the evening when my husband is home that everything goes mad.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,394,505 times
Time is always the great healer.

Our Rip (hound) was the same way..........now, he is a different dog!!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,046,939 times
The secret to a dog's heart is food and not kibble or dog treats, but steak, chicken, lamb, and pork. Whenever someone brings their dog to my mom's house, they are always fed nice juicy steaks and within a few days... they follow her around everywhere even when they aren't hungry. Other than that patience is key, but having your husband ignore him doesn't make any sense to me at all. That will just create further distance as your pup grows into adult hood.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,372,904 times
You are so lucky to have a young collie-lab. We had two, lost Hallie on Halloween and tragically, had to say goodbye to Jimmy two months later, to the day. They were so special, so sweet and smart. REALLY SMART. Your boy is carrying baggage that always comes with a rescue. You help him unpack and stow that baggage, which takes time, patience, and space. I have learned that there is no rushing it, and it takes longer with a dog who is being rehomed after a year or two. With our Hallie, who came to us at 18 months from a broken and alcoholic home, it took several months. She was afraid of men, too, and came around beautifully. My husband didn't approach her, but he didn't ignore her either. He just was patient, until one day, she crawled into his lap and rolled over on her back.

Now we have a 9-mo old shep-lab mix named Karma. She has issues as well. We don't take her skittish behavior personally. We are giving her time, love, great care, patience and a feeling of security. She is a great dog, and we know she will grow into a loyal and loving companion.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 AM

18,412 posts, read 19,066,459 times
it takes lots, and lots of time. thank you for rescuing this poor dog. continue to do what you are doing. I would not bother taking him to classes at this point, maybe next year. some traits may not go away, but the longer he gets love from your family he will relax a bit. when company comes over put the dog in another room. as far as the garden area is it fenced? if not can you fence it high enough so he can go out to play?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,484,641 times
We had a very shy collie/shepherd mix years ago. It just took her time to adjust...she never became an extrovert but she did turn into a very loving dog.

I don't agree with the behaviorist's suggestion of hubby ignoring the dog. Quite the opposite---I think he should be the one feeding her!

Thank you for saving this poor dog from her horrible start in life. Just give her time and keep a close eye on her. Sounds like some progress has already been made and it's only been a few weeks. Keep it up.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM

857 posts, read 2,219,848 times
Thanks for rescuing this dog.

This dog may have been owned by an owner who had NO patience with a puppy and used very severe punishments(I am thinking a male,so the association with your husband re male figure)

This pup just needs time,don't push it,you haven't had it long.It may take a good year for your pup to know no-one is going to dish out punishment,spankings,hits,etc.
Odd you say the pup doesn't respond to food given by your Husband,could it be possible since this dog took food from the other peoples children,the owner at that time,tried to teach this dog.human food was a No No and dissaplined the dog if it tried to take any.Some people are so harsh with animals.

I have to think fear plays a good part in this dogs behavior and luckily he trusts you.

Please don't give up on this dog but don't push too hard.
Time as said, is a great healer.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it.

With me, it is almost like he is attached to me, following all day.

With not ignoring him, do you think it is a good idea for husband to continue walking him? I walk him in the day twice as husband isnt here to do so, but my husband walks him before bed and first thing in the morning. He puts his tail under when my husband walks under, but he will do his business when he's out with him. I have to put his leads on him though as he cowers from my husband when he tries to.
We take it in turns to feed him, but to be honest he doesnt eat it straight away anyway. At night he waits until we are in bed to eat, and when he is fed in the morning he never eats straight away, sometimes he doesnt eat it until about 5pm! He is more interested in following me and being nosey haha. So I'm unsure if associating my husband with the food would work?
It is strange with the food, he puts his nose practically into my plate and stares at me when I have food, he definitely loves food! He wont come to me for food though if my husband is around.
Is it better to ignore growling / negative behaviour, or say 'no' ? Should my husband react to it in any way?
We are working on securing the garden, it is fenced but the gate is low and there are a few gaps so once that is sorted it will be more like 2 walks a day and then he can be let out into the garden to relieve himself in the daytime. He's so timid though at the moment I don't think he would go out on his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs