Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times

Advertisements

It's very early to tell for sure if she is pregnante.
Your vet can do a ultrasound or a x-ray her to know for sure.
or wait 30days she will be starting to show.
Gestation is 60-64days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I have a 6 yr old min dachshund who is just out of heat. She is eating more than usual,.and is very bottom heavy. Any one know if these are.signs? She has never had a litter, but I had been hoping.for at least one!

It is not dangerous for a 6yr old dog to get pregnant or is it to old for any dog to have it's first litter. This dog is in it's prime of life.
Dachshunds live to be 19yrs old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
First litter at 6 years old? The poor thing! You would risk her health like that? Please, take her to the vet and have her spayed!
The deed is done and now you want her to destroy the litter.

A c-section is not going to cost thousands of dollars, just a couple of hundred at the most.
It is common for some small dogs to have their litters by c-section, it's not a big deal.
When you see your Vet you can discuss your options and make any arrangements for the birth of your litter.

As I said the deed is done, now she asked for help.
So help.
Condemning her is doing no good at this point.

Last edited by snofarmer; 02-01-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,609,611 times
I did offer help. My advice is have her spayed now. That is the best thing, for the dog.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM

So killing the litter and subjecting the dog to surgery is the best thing for the dog

Save your propaganda, it's only the "best thing" in your mind not necessarily for the dog or the pups.

So where do you draw the line,
I bet your not for killing a litter after it's born or Culling.
Whats the diff? kill now or latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I did offer help. My advice is have her spayed now. That is the best thing, for the dog.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM

639 posts, read 1,965,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
So killing the litter and subjecting the dog to surgery is the best thing for the dog

Save your propaganda, it's only the "best thing" in your mind not necessarily for the dog or the pups.

So where do you draw the line,
I bet your not for killing a litter after it's born or Culling.
Whats the diff? kill now or latter.
Most people prefer a safe surgery that will destroy extremely early fetuses over risking the dog's life, spending a lot of money on a risky surgery, with the end result of puppies that often end up being euthanized anyway.

If she bred she is almost certainly pregnant, no need to wait to find out. Dogs aren't like humans where sex only sometimes results in pregnancy. If they bred, it was because she was ovulating.

It is NOT common for small dogs to have litters born by c-section. A responsible breeder ends a dogs breeding career after the first c-section because obviously she is not able to have puppies safely. I think there are a couple of breeds with an exception to this where c-sections are routine, but I don't think mini-dachshunds are one of them.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM

9,881 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
If she bred she is almost certainly pregnant, no need to wait to find out. Dogs aren't like humans where sex only sometimes results in pregnancy. If they bred, it was because she was ovulating.
Many, many, many live breedings do not take. While the female dog may have been ovulating, it does not mean that it resulted in pregnancy.

(Wow - didn't realize the correct term for a female dog is banned on the Dog section of the Pet forum.)

Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
dont knwo where you are sno, but an emergency c-section in ct is $2400 for a toy breed dog with it increasing from there, if you pre-scedual it starts at $1200....

and toy breed should NEVER be bred to have its first litter at 6 years old...like in humans having children in there 50's theres a much higher risk of issues, EXPEcIALLY a narrowing of the birthcanal/pelvic fusion...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM

I am a breeder and it is possible to have a suspenseful tie and not have pups.
(I was raised in a kennel and I have owned my own kennel for just over 20yrs)
There is not a 100% guarantee on any tie/breading resulting in a pregnancy that's why we tie 2 times to help ensure a successful pregnancy and even then there is no guarantee.
These are animals not machines

Why would the pup need to be "euthanized anyway."
This is just more fear mongering.
A c-section. does not effect the health of the pups.
The whelps can be "milked" out of the horns with out much trauma or risk to the whelps or mom.

But is is common for small dogs to have a c-section.
Some small breads can't have them any other way.

A c-section is less evasive than spaying is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Most people prefer a safe surgery that will destroy extremely early fetuses over risking the dog's life, spending a lot of money on a risky surgery, with the end result of puppies that often end up being euthanized anyway.

It is NOT common for small dogs to have litters born by c-section. A responsible breeder ends a dogs breeding career after the first c-section because obviously she is not able to have puppies safely. I think there are a couple of breeds with an exception to this where c-sections are routine, but I don't think mini-dachshunds are one of them.
My 9yr old dog just had a litter of healthy pups 10wk ago and I just breed my 6yr old last week. and even with big dogs a c-section is still a possibility and common.

Bottom line is, the deed is done ripping her a new one will not do anything but sooth your egos.
so why not offer up some constructive help.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
OP I'm not trying to pick a fight but you need to know the terminology. BYB-backyard breeder means anybody who lets their dog get pregnant-either once or over and over again. it means not a professional dog breeder but an amateur who wants a litter of puppies for whatever reason. It is not a favorable term I agree. In any event BYB's don't usually do the genetic testing and selection necessary to ensure a quality litter. They just want puppies and again the results are the same. We are killing hundreds of dogs a day (thousands) in shelters because of irresponsible breeding.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OP I'm not trying to pick a fight but you need to know the terminology. BYB-backyard breeder means anybody who lets their dog get pregnant-either once or over and over again. it means not a professional dog breeder but an amateur who wants a litter of puppies for whatever reason. It is not a favorable term I agree. In any event BYB's don't usually do the genetic testing and selection necessary to ensure a quality litter. They just want puppies and again the results are the same. We are killing hundreds of dogs a day (thousands) in shelters because of irresponsible breeding.
BINGO! Well said.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,609,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I am a breeder and it is possible to have a suspenseful tie and not have pups.
(I was raised in a kennel and I have owned my own kennel for just over 20yrs)
There is not a 100% guarantee on any tie/breading resulting in a pregnancy that's why we tie 2 times to help ensure a successful pregnancy and even then there is no guarantee.
These are animals not machines

Why would the pup need to be "euthanized anyway."
This is just more fear mongering.
A c-section. does not effect the health of the pups.
The whelps can be "milked" out of the horns with out much trauma or risk to the whelps or mom.

But is is common for small dogs to have a c-section.
Some small breads can't have them any other way.

A c-section is less evasive than spaying is.

<snip>

and even with big dogs a c-section is still a possibility and common
c-section or spay, both have the same risks, so that argument is out the window. LOL

Quote:
My 9yr old dog just had a litter of healthy pups 10wk ago and I just breed my 6yr old last week. .
So you are THAT type of "breeder" No wonder your posts are so defensive.

Perhaps the OP's dog has a false pregnancy. We can hope, eh?

I stand by my advice. Take her to the vet. If it's safe to do so (not pregnant, not too far along) have her spayed, so she can live the rest of her life healthy with no more risks of pregnancy, or pyometra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs