Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Don't dump them or make a planter, what if you should move?
You take the plants with you, they are not bolted to the ground or anything.
Ours have been to 4 different locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
With my first dog I was going to spread the ashes on the beach as that is where she loved to go but they came back in a beautiful wood box with her name on top so I never did that. At this point in time I have 4 such boxes of dog ashes so like a few others have said my plan is to have their ashes mixed with mine then us all spread down at the beach as the beach has always been a happy place for me and everydog I have owned. When my mom died we split her ashes some went in her flower bed as she loved gardening some went in each of our own yards flower beds and my sister left some up along the ocean on San Juan Island where she and her husband owned a cabin and one could watch the most beautiful sunsets over the water.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
It's really interesting hearing everyone's stories. There are so many good ideas you have all shared.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Be very careful no one sees you in the cemetery. You will fine that is not legal.

BTW.....I would still do it.
What I plan on doing is perfectly legal. I will be cremated, and my ashes will be mixed with those of all of my pets by the funeral director.

The funeral director will then place the combined ashes in an appropriate container, to be buried in the plot next to my Mother, which I own.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,870 times
As you can see, everyone has a totally different take on this; so, whatever you do, it's OK b/c it's what's right for you.

For me, I probably wouldn't want my dog's ashes b/c to me, that is not "her." Before she crosses the rainbow bridge, I will probably trim off a bunch of her fur and then, over time, scatter it in places where she and I would go together. Some at home, some on the hiking trails, in my parent's back yard, etc. To me, that's more representative of my dog---her smell, her feel.

When I was a child, I clipped off some of my golden retriever's fur and I still have it in a photobook. Probably weird to some but hey, to each his own!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,937,390 times
Your pup would want you to do what makes you happy! Vanessa's ashes are right next to our bed (nightstand) a place where we snuggled every night and a place that I find comforting to me!

I had once "thought" of spreading her ashes at places she loved...like the lake etc. but I, being the crazy human that I am, kept thinking that she would be cold or scared at night so I wanted her to be with me forever in a place that she found cozy and warm. She will then join me in my coffin when it is my time.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 7,104,558 times
I have my two dogs and cat in separate box/urns on my dresser. They each have their pic on the cover. I keep a vigil candle next to them and light it every so often. I uses to light it every night during the first couple of months after they passed away. I lost both dogs in 4 months of each other.

I like how I can pick up the urn and hold it close to me when I need to.

I originally was going to bury the dogs in the back yard under these trees where I used to have a hammock. The dogs would always lay underneith the hammock, but like someone previously mentioned, "what if I move" than I would feel guilty, so I had them cremated and I can take them with me anywhere.

It's a good thing too, as I lost those trees during Hurricane Sandy.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I try to remember that, in my belief system, the dog is gone, and the ashes are just... ashes. The body being the shell of the soul. (I do this with my late father, too, when I picture his body being gone, remembering that he is gone, too).
I put the ashes in a rock garden I have outside, along with a name tag. I personally have no desire to keep ashes with me. In fact, my next dog loss, I am not going to keep ashes at all, but will clip some fur and bury the fur and name tag in the rock garden with the others. Frankly, that's where I'd like to be when I'm cremated, if I can get someone to do it without town permission, etc. I don't have a name tag!

I think people should do whatever they feel best about, and try to keep some perspective on what the ashes are and what they are not. You know the dog wouldn't think "I've been replaced" if someone chose not to keep ashes or have them in the first place.

I just talked to a woman who does horse art and raises horses. She said when she has to put a horse down, she sends the body to a rendering plant, because it's just practical. She's captured the soul in her care of the horse and, in her case, in her art.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times
When my present Shepherd passes(assuming I live longer than him), his ashes will be placed on my fireplace mantle along with the ashes of my two previous Shepherds.
When I die, I have instructed the executor of my will to mix my ashes with the three Shepherds, and scatter them equally in two parks we went to every day.
Bob.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 AM

687 posts, read 1,493,712 times
Have you heard of jewelry made from or for ashes? There are mini urn pendants that you can wear on a necklace. Or there is a process where ashes can now be processed into a diamond like stone. You can Google "pet ash jewelry." I'm still trying to decide if I like the idea or not, but I think its certainly interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs