Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times

Advertisements

Don't say cur. It would put me off from the rescue group and I'm sure it would do the same to others. Mixed breed is the right term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
And for coyote lite, I know what you're saying but psychologically, just seeing the word "aggression" jump out on the page is going to make most people click to the next dog, possibly without reading another word. When you say they have to be fed separately because he's not comfortable, people should know what you mean, and certainly you spell out exactly what he does to anyone who inquires about him.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM

438 posts, read 269,771 times
Yep, subject2change, I don't disagree. The psychology is important. And especially the word aggression in the same paragraph with pibble mix, yikes! As the adopter of several dogs with "issues", I just prefer to err on the side of too much info. Then I'm pleasantly surprised when they turn out to be "best dog ever", as each of mine have!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
I agree with what coyote lite said....

nice job! The only other thing I'd add is saying what requirements you expect...certainly nothing draconian but maybe a brief sentence about "will require vet references and home visit" or something. Oh, and an adoption fee. Even if you don't ultimately charge one for a lovely forever home, mention of that will weed out some of the more casual folks who just want a free dog....

Presumably you are going to include photos, even video links? Craigslist "shoppers" are visual, many will only search for ads with images only. Same goes for petfinder. Come to think of it, have you approached any rescues asking for a courtesy listing on their petfinder page? Quite a few will do it...the organization I was with for years would happily agree as long as we could visit with and assess the dog or cat first to make sure everything was legit and true. I think you get a better "breed" of potential adopters on petfinder compared to craigslist.

PS, cur in that context is fine. Blackmouth curs are a southern breed/type and known by that name.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM

511 posts, read 838,922 times
I will keep working on these, thanks all! I really want their profiles to shine. They will be on petfinders but I have to find the right group for them - still working on it. So details of adoption fee etc I need to work out.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
How about "Harry guards food from other dogs and must be fed separately". I just think the a-word is bad news in a profile.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
How about "Harry guards food from other dogs and must be fed separately". I just think the a-word is bad news in a profile.
I get that, but I also believe in full disclosure. However, full disclosure is not necessary in an ad and MB has already taken care to state that Harry would do best as a solo dog or with a compatible dog, and requires an experienced owner, and still "needs work" and such.

So maybe it would be best to leave out all mention of food aggression, given the other info she's disclosed, and approach that on a one-to-one basis with potential adopters if it gets to the discussion phase.

Or, use the more accurate term "resource guarding." I've never known a dog to be food aggressive, but also relaxed or neutral about toys, water, sleeping spots, people etc. Also resource guarding is on a continuum. Some dogs (my sweet Fiona LOL) is very guardy and bitchy about resources with other dogs, but I keep everything controlled and I actually don't believe she would harm another dog without extreme provocation. She is just sort of, a lot, noisy and emphatic about making her point. On the other hand, some dogs can be quite dangerous and will guard with intent to retaliate with full, level five bites. At this point I don't think the OP knows where on the continuum Harry falls, based on previous posts.

So yeah. Best to leave that part out and approach it on a one-to-one basis, I think. Harry is young and still in his "honeymoon" period so really it would be hard to determine how he would be on a global basis.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
I disagree with taking out the word, "unkind". (Although I would probably use the word, "abusive" or "neglectful" if it was. Unkind is being too PC. If the people treated that dog like crap, SAY IT! I sure as hell would not try to protect their precious little feelings!) One may see that word but most people do read more than one word. If the dog went through a horrible experience, let the people know that.

Same with food aggression...call it what it is. Let's not try to sugar coat something so that an adopteder doesn't understand what to expect. "Guarding" and "aggression" mean different things to many people.

Lay it out there, you want to have the best of homes, no returns.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM

511 posts, read 838,922 times
Harry is actually fine with other resources. But he was a 2 year old 29 lb pit so in very bad shape when he was removed from his owner. Food is a hot trigger for him. Everything else...he's fine. he even ignores when Smokey humps him and doesn't do it in turn (odd that Smokey was neutered as a wee guy and is still a pup while Harry is for the moment an intact male - he's getting fixed this week). I'll be back later with a revision after kids are in bed.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I disagree with taking out the word, "unkind". (Although I would probably use the word, "abusive" or "neglectful" if it was. Unkind is being too PC. If the people treated that dog like crap, SAY IT! I sure as hell would not try to protect their precious little feelings!) One may see that word but most people do read more than one word. If the dog went through a horrible experience, let the people know that.
I'm not saying "unkind" shouldn't be used in the paragraph. I'm saying it shouldn't be used in the "tag line" because it stands out. You're giving people too much credit by thinking most will read more than one word. People scan through things before they decide which to read more in-depth. I know a thing or two about advertising and marketing. Rescue groups could learn a thing or two from the corporate world in that regard. The sob story doesn't sell as much as rescues think. Rescuers spend way so much time in their rescue world that they don't understand their target market. People don't need to be bleeding hearts to be good pet owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs