Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,663,332 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that I did not get back to posters about my biting dog. He was euthanized. He was a chow mix (maybe Akita, maybe Pit, maybe lab, but definitely chow), 60 pounds, 5 years old. He had come into our shelter where I volunteer as a stray in Oct. 06 with a bite history, but it was "off the record" and I didn't find out about it until I was practically out the door with him. He seemed fine in the shelter for 8 mos. and they were going to euthanize. I decided to "foster" him and possibly keep him if everything worked out. I have two other dogs and 4 cats. He was really good with them but after a short time, became extremely protective of my apartment and me. mail couldn't be delivered, the dogwalker couldn't come in unless he was confined and she wasn't able to walk him. He began lunging at kids, bikers, anyone on the street. But he was a good boy inside. he bit a neighbor early on. He bit me in the dog obedience class and I realized, I was not in a position to do the work with him that he needed in order to be rehabilitated. And no, I did not reprimand him in class because I was too shocked. I guess I was naive and unprepared for this type of issue. I work full-time and part-time and felt what I was doing for him was probably not enough and was afraid that if he bit me he'd bite someone else. I do not have the money for specialized trainers since my other animals have their own medical issues. So this is what happened, and I feel absolutely horrible about it. Not looking for sympathy, nor things I could have done. I just wanted to let posters know what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
I know you said you aren't looking for sympathy, but I'm sorry! It sounds like you tried your best, you did all you could do and that's all you can do. With how the dog was towards everyone he will definitely be happier where he is now than on earth. Again, I'm sorry that things didn't work out differently.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanks PitBullMommie. I never want to be in a position like this again, to have to pts an otherwise healthy animal for behavior issues. i don't know how people work in kill shelters and have to make those decisions and witness it. I stayed with him throughout the time he was at the vet and it was absolutely devastating for me. I hope he didn't know. Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 AM

768 posts, read 2,101,088 times
(((hugs))) You did what could be done to help him. It is gut-wrenching, I know-- I have been there once and hope never to have to go there again. You stayed with him to the end and that counts for a lot. (((hugs)))

Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks AnyDayNow. I did stay with him and spent a lot of time with him before it actually happened. At least he did not have to go back to the shelter. I really hope he didn't know....I am repeating myself! Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 AM

216 posts, read 829,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Thanks AnyDayNow. I did stay with him and spent a lot of time with him before it actually happened. At least he did not have to go back to the shelter. I really hope he didn't know....I am repeating myself! Thanks.
I think what he knew was probably the most love and care he's ever had. You gave him that.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,543 times
I am sorry it didnt work out, but you made the right Choice. And he knew you loved him and thats probly the most he ever had

Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
You made a wise, mature decision. You could not have had that dog bite one of your children or anyone else for that matter.

Sometimes it's something genetic that we has humans have no tools or miracles for and we have to do the best for the situation and that you did indeed do.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
doghead - Sorry that you had to go through all of that. My aged mini poodle after two years still snaps at my boyfriend on occasion, but he is kept mostly indoors with me and we don't have anyone over to our house. There are also no children near us. Should he be put to sleep? Maybe, but right now he is under my close watch and he is very devoted to me. Obviously, my house is the last home he will ever know.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM

Miu, there are so many things to consider. Naturally, a larger dog can do more damage (I think) than a mini-poodle. I have a chihuahua who is about 10 with hardly any teeth but she is snappy but can't hurt anyone. Also, your schedule. You might be home more with your dog and can work with her. In my situation, I work 1 full-time and 1 part-time job so did not have the resources (time and money) to commit to rehabbing him. I'm not making excuses, but just saying every case is different and from what little I know about your situation, I would definitely not even consider euth. of your dog. With my foster, I think it was too late for him. Unnuetered most of his life until I took him, in a shelter for 8 mos. with no one working with him seriously, and who knows what prior to that, plus maybe genetics (breed?). Thanks for your thoughts, Miu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs