Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It is the same dog!

The AKC calls them American Staffordshire. The UKC calls them American Pitt Bull Terriers.

The only difference is which kennel club you register the dog.
Yes and no. There are pit bulls that will not be acknowledged and accepted by the AKC as AmStaffs. Pit bull is a very broad term while AmStaff is narrower. Besides, these 120 pound, 23" tall "bully" dogs, still considered "pit bulls" by many, can't pass as AmStaffs (which are max 65 pound).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM

29 posts, read 31,065 times
She was doing so good! When she was "empty" I was letting her have (supervised) roam in the living room with the rest of the house blocked off. She is let out & fed the same time everyday so her schedule is pretty strict. If I'm going to be out of the room for an extended period of time to shower or whatever I put her in the crate. I was literally gone for 5 minutes and I came back in the living room to pee on the floor when she isn't due to be let out for at least another hour. It was also in her usual spot which I cleaned with white vinegar- which I thought was to get rid of the smell so she wouldnt go there anymore?

Do I literally have to keep her in the crate every second she's not being watched? How is the crate teaching her to go outside? Isn't it just teaching her to hold it until I let her out? Is there going to be a point where she doesn't need to be babysat and can be trusted in the house? Just when I think we're making progress we take a few steps back! What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennacolleen View Post
She was doing so good! When she was "empty" I was letting her have (supervised) roam in the living room with the rest of the house blocked off. She is let out & fed the same time everyday so her schedule is pretty strict. If I'm going to be out of the room for an extended period of time to shower or whatever I put her in the crate. I was literally gone for 5 minutes and I came back in the living room to pee on the floor when she isn't due to be let out for at least another hour. It was also in her usual spot which I cleaned with white vinegar- which I thought was to get rid of the smell so she wouldnt go there anymore?

Do I literally have to keep her in the crate every second she's not being watched? How is the crate teaching her to go outside? Isn't it just teaching her to hold it until I let her out? Is there going to be a point where she doesn't need to be babysat and can be trusted in the house? Just when I think we're making progress we take a few steps back! What am I doing wrong?
No, she doesn't need to be in the crate every second. You need to take her out more often instead of having her on a strict schedule until she is housebroken. You need to reward her with treats when she is outside immediately after she pees out there. You need to put a piece of furniture over that spot on the rug to discourage repeated peeing in that spot.

Since she does spend soooooooooooooo much time in the crate, it is very possible you are teaching her to pee everywhere but the crate. You have to watch them and learn their body language. Dogs need to go outside to pee immediately after waking up, eating, playing, chewing and any other time they indicate that they need to pee. It's all on you to see the signs.

Did you have her urine tested for a UTI yet?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Since she does spend soooooooooooooo much time in the crate, it is very possible you are teaching her to pee everywhere but the crate. You have to watch them and learn their body language. Dogs need to go outside to pee immediately after waking up, eating, playing, chewing and any other time they indicate that they need to pee. It's all on you to see the signs.
She's honestly not in the crate that much. Well actually I don't know what defines "so much". I'll put her in there for times I can't be watching her or leaving her alone like I said if I have to shower. Then between the time I leave for work and when my roommate gets home which is a span of 1.5 hours max. Then she gets put back in the crate between the time my roommate goes to bed and when I get home from work which is a span of maybe 3.5-4 hours. In between that time she is let out, fed, exercised etc. So shes really not crated or left alone too often. Maybe I am just missing her signs. I've had her over 2 weeks now and she has barely made a sound. No growls, barks, nothing. She whined a little bit but thats stopped. She doesnt sniff at the door or go stand near it nothing. So I don't know...

Quote:
Did you have her urine tested for a UTI yet?
She has not been tested yet. Her next appointment is in a little under a week. Should I make the appointment earlier?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:

Yes, to the bolded part, although keeping her in the crate too much really isn't that fair to her...

There certainly will be a point where she'll become reliable. If she was truly never housetrained, or was allowed to potty inside wherever she was before, it won't be an overnight process and you can expect setbacks. Just be as consistent as you can, and HUGE praise whenever she goes outside. (I call it the Peelitzer or Poolitzer prize, LOL.)

But if you haven't ruled out a UTI and she has one, she'll be in pain and will keep having accidents. It could also be hormonal, ie "spay incontinence." That is really common, and easy to treat. I had a dog with that and she took Proin for a while, completely fixed the problem.

What You Need to Know About Spay Incontinence in Female Dogs

Ah we posted at the same time. I'd make the appointment earlier, if you can.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Maybe I am just missing her signs. I've had her over 2 weeks now and she has barely made a sound. No growls, barks, nothing. She whined a little bit but thats stopped. She doesnt sniff at the door or go stand near it nothing. So I don't know...
Sometimes the signs are elusive. My basset will go sit on the doormat at the front door without making a sound. It boggles our mind because we take him out the back door on the other side of the house. We just happen upon finding him there sometimes and ask him if he wants to go outside.

Quote:
She has not been tested yet. Her next appointment is in a little under a week. Should I make the appointment earlier?
I would have taken her immediately after people mentioned it when you first started this thread. If she has a UTI how do you think she can hold it in? How comfortable do you think she is? Maybe you've never had a UTI. If you ever had one, you would have some sympathy and want to end her suffering as quick as possible. Also her bladder could have also been injured during the surgery.

After you've resolved a medical problem, move a piece of furniture over that spot on the rug.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Sometimes the signs are elusive. My basset will go sit on the doormat at the front door without making a sound. It boggles our mind because we take him out the back door on the other side of the house. We just happen upon finding him there sometimes and ask him if he wants to go outside.

I would have taken her immediately after people mentioned it when you first started this thread. If she has a UTI how do you think she can hold it in? How comfortable do you think she is? Maybe you've never had a UTI. If you ever had one, you would have some sympathy and want to end her suffering as quick as possible. Also her bladder could have also been injured during the surgery.

After you've resolved a medical problem, move a piece of furniture over that spot on the rug.
She's already on Doxycycline...it's my understanding that is also prescribed for a uti so wouldn't that rule out a uti? She's also showing no signs of pain or discomfort-just peeing in the house

When I had originally went to my vet I had told them she was going in the house and they never even mentioned uti or urine testing.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,324 times
she made a mistake... don't go overboard. Just keep on your routine and these mistakes should quit.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
She's already on Doxycycline...it's my understanding that is also prescribed for a uti so wouldn't that rule out a uti? She's also showing no signs of pain or discomfort-just peeing in the house

When I had originally went to my vet I had told them she was going in the house and they never even mentioned uti or urine testing.
You're correct, Doxy would probably knock out a UTI (although not guaranteed, a culture would be necessary to show what bacteria are involved; not all antibiotics work on all infections.) Could still be hormonal, though. I'd call the vet. Or, two vets. They do make mistakes and miss things. I am actually sort of surprised a vet would not suggest checking urine in a spayed female dog that is peeing a lot...

Some dogs - bully breeds are known for this - are pretty stoic about pain, like cats, so just because she doesn't show signs doesn't mean she's not feeling it.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
Quote:
My question is how is the crate training actually teaching her to go outside? Or to let us know she has to go? She doesn't let anyone know she has to go she just goes where she pleases.

I have an apt so it's not like I can leave her outside or anything to minimize the accidents. I'm just at a loss for what to do. Also in the incidents where she does have an accident in the house and I haven't witnessed it how do you discipline them? I know you aren't supposed to rub their nose in it or anything but how are you supposed to let them know it's not ok to go there? I work full time so it's not possible to watch her 24/7 or take her out every hour "until she gets it".
Always, medical causation should be ruled out first before taking a behavioral approach to potty training issues.

The crate does not teach her where to potty. It just prevents accidents in the house. Preventing accidents is crucial because it prevents the habit of indoor pottying from becoming ingrained. What teaches her to go outside is: praise and rewards every single time she's successful. What teaches her not to go inside is catching her in the act every single time, interrupting in an urgent but non-threatening way, and rushing her right outside to finish (then rewarding!)

Accidents not witnessed can not be addressed other than to clean them thoroughly with specially formulated enzymatic cleaners.

The fact that your dog has made some progress since you've adopted her is a very good sign! Now you just have to concentrate on 1) preventing all accidents, 2) catching any accidents in the house the instant she starts to squat and bringing her straight outside, and 3) continuing to liberally reward all successful outdoor potties. Your dog likely developed what is called a "substrate preference" for peeing indoors at some point. That just means in the past she became accustomed to peeing on indoor surfaces. Overcoming that habit does take time, but like I said the fact that she's made progress in the right direction is a really good sign that she is gradually "getting it". Figure out when most accidents are occurring and aggressively address that issue with a solid plan. If your work schedule seems to be part of the problem, let's get creative and try to come up with some short term solutions, just to get her reliably trained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs