Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Thanks, steelstress! I'm glad to know I'm not crazy!

I might try the dryer first for dog bedding. It crossed my mind earlier. Glad to know it helps.

The clean drum cycle made it spotless. I just tossed in another normal load of clothes.

Fingers crossed it's not covered in hair afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I bought my first front loader a few months ago. I love it. It cleans well. I can do huge loads. I can throw heavy and lightweight clothing in together.

What I'm not loving is the hair that accumulates on the seal and the glass door!

It was just a little hair when we did the first load. I've been wiping the seal and the glass door after every load. But now it's a ton of hair every time. It's getting worse and worst. This doesn't make sense.

It can't be due to the front loader getting more hair off of the clothes because I still have the same amount of hair in my dryer lint screen as I did when I had the top loader.

Is all of this hair accumulating inside the drum? Should I be wiping that out every time too?

I guess top loaders washed most of that hair down the drain with the water.

This is a disappointment. Does everyone have this problem? What do you do?
Hmmm... I'm not real happy about the amount of hair still on the clothes after washing and drying. I made a post about this in the general pets section: http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...-pet-hair.html

I ~do~ get hair in the seal and on the door. I just wipe it down each time. But even after I dry my clothes, I still have a crazy amount of hair still on the clothes.

Sorry I can't help you figure out where it's accumulating, and why you're getting more and more each time. Just wanted to share in your frustration, though. {{hugs}}... OOPS! You've got a hair on your shirt there.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Please be sure to take your dog out of there before running the washer.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just checked the drum and there was hair there. Maybe I washed dog blankets a while ago and it's remaining from that. I don't know. I cleaned out what I could. I put it on the "drum clean" cycle. Fingers crossed.

There's a little catch basin behind a little door at the bottom that is supposed to be cleaned out once a month. There's no hair there though. It has never had anything in it.

I'm worry about wearing out the rubber seal by constantly rubbing it with paper towels. I can't use cloth rags because the hair would end up back in the washing machine when I wash the rags.
Yours has a "drum clean" cycle? Wow -- what brand do you have? I've never heard of that!

Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,348,265 times
Default Bath water temperature

I never bathe our dogs. We opt to get them groomed to keep our sanity. But lately, little Teddy has taken a keen interest in our bathtub. It fascinates him. He stands up on the side looking in whenever I take a bath. I know, creepy. It's a big tub with spa jets, and he wants IN. But I like a hot bath and I have no idea what water temp people use for dogs! If I ever do let him in the tub, it won't be while I'm in it. He can go for a swim when I'm done. Is lukewarm about right?

Or should I just get him a kiddie pool?

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
I have a collie so you can imagine how much dog hair I have. Let me tell you about my experience. Bought The front loader set a couple of years ago. The coolness wore off in 2 months for me. Sure they wash the clothes better but what I found is ours leaked on and off. I found the machine to be unpredictable in this regard. Now I am the type of person that actually reads manuals. I maintain my machine like clockwork. I do the tub clean once a month, wipe the seal, leave the door open...etc etc. LG said it was user error when I complained about the leaking. So anyway this has been going on for sometime. I go a couple of months no problem, then bam another puddle.

Two weeks ago I go to throw the clothes in the dryer and what do I find? Yep, another puddle in front of the washing machine. So I told my husband I was ready to call a repair guy. Im sick of it. That was enough for my husband to investigate. He took the back of the machine off and looked around inside. No problem. We then took a high powered flashlight and looked all around the seal and drum. What do we find? Dog hair had plugged up one of the very small holes within the seal that drains water. I was disgusted that how much hair we pulled out (we had to use needle nose pliers). Again, I am anal about maintaining this machine. I personally think wiping the seal shoves dog hair into those small drain holes.

So we picked out all the hair, ran tub clean again. Guess what starts leaking? Yep the door again. Now Im really fed up. So my husband and I are staring into the machine window watching the water and how it was coming out through the door. Stop the machine look over the door and what we do we find? A very small ball of dog hair on the bottom of the door that pushed the seal ever so slightly back allowing water to slip through. MYSTERY SOLVED!

After two years I couldnt believe how much dog hair caused us so much grief with this machine. So apparently, the times it leaked there was a speck of dog hair causing the problem. So I recommend taking a flash light and really looking at your seal and looking over the inside of the door. I have a set of tweezers by the machine now. Way too much maintenance IMO and if I could do it over I would have gone with the top loader style that works like a front loader.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times
Hope, thank you for starting this topic. I am no longer interested in getting a front load washer now. I am keeping my top load for now until I learn more about this issue.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Yours has a "drum clean" cycle? Wow -- what brand do you have? I've never heard of that!
It's an LG steam model, not sure of what series, etc. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I never bathe our dogs. We opt to get them groomed to keep our sanity. But lately, little Teddy has taken a keen interest in our bathtub. It fascinates him. He stands up on the side looking in whenever I take a bath. I know, creepy. It's a big tub with spa jets, and he wants IN. But I like a hot bath and I have no idea what water temp people use for dogs! If I ever do let him in the tub, it won't be while I'm in it. He can go for a swim when I'm done. Is lukewarm about right?

Or should I just get him a kiddie pool?
My peakapoo loved getting into the bathtub and shower. She'd jump right in while I was taking a bath. When my mother was in the shower, she'd pop in around the shower curtain. Granted, peekapoos don't shed. Your dog might only want in while you're in it. If he wants in it to swim around when you're done, that's fine. Lukewarm will work. I always took hot baths and my dog never minded. Once it cools off a bit, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
So I recommend taking a flash light and really looking at your seal and looking over the inside of the door. I have a set of tweezers by the machine now. Way too much maintenance IMO and if I could do it over I would have gone with the top loader style that works like a front loader.
I have been warned! Thank you so much for telling me this! It seems there isn't any hair when the load is smaller. When I'm cramming stuff in there, I guess there isn't enough room for the hair to wash down the little holes. Bummer. It was nice getting so many clothes washed at once. They're clean. But the washer is full of hair. For anyone who doesn't have a shedding pet, they are nice machines. I guess we'll have to get used to the weird maintenance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Hope, thank you for starting this topic. I am no longer interested in getting a front load washer now. I am keeping my top load for now until I learn more about this issue.
Keep it until it breaks. I didn't run out and get a front loader because they're all the rage now. I was forced because my top loader breaks. Once yours breaks, you won't have options. The top loaders aren't available with agitators anymore, except for very small models. You can luck out and find one now, but you won't be able to find one in a few years. The one big top loader with an agitator had terrible reviews about tearing up clothes. The top loaders that don't have agitators have terrible reviews of the clothes not getting clean. The government has decided how we are going to do clothes.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,168 times
I don't clean it out every time, but it is only bad during the times we wash their bedding or blankets. Oddly enough, I would expect that the little filter on the front would have its share of pet hair stuck in it, although every time I empty it (the guy at the appliance store recommended once a month), it hasn't had any in it or just a little. So, it must get caught up front. I take a used dryer sheet and grab the pet hair that has accumulated at the front seal like you describe every once in a while.

Do your dogs sleep in the laundry baskets? Are your lint traps always full? I wouldn't want to put dirty laundry in the dryer to eliminate the problem in the washer. That is just my preference because I don't want that odor or any odor to be in the dryer. As much as I want to say that my dog doesn't smell, I know that I may be in denial about that sometimes. It is just the beginning of summer so hopefully the problem goes away soon. Although that hair is clean at the front of the washer, it isn't the most pleasant thing to clean out.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Oddly enough, I would expect that the little filter on the front would have its share of pet hair stuck in it, although every time I empty it (the guy at the appliance store recommended once a month), it hasn't had any in it or just a little.
I haven't found anything there either. One time, there was a small piece of paper. That's it.

Quote:
Do your dogs sleep in the laundry baskets? Are your lint traps always full?
My dog is too big to get into the laundry basket. I empty my dryer lint screen after every load.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to put dirty laundry in the dryer to eliminate the problem in the washer. That is just my preference because I don't want that odor or any odor to be in the dryer.
If this continues and I determine it's the dog blankets, I'll start taking them to the Laundromat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs