Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
For some reason a lot of "water loving" dogs seem to hate being bathed. Go figure.

We bring our dogs into the bathroom frequently when we shower, even if we have no intention of bathing them. That way they do not automatically associate the sound of the water with a bath. Sometimes we have them jump in and out of the empty bathtub. Neither one is a fan of baths, but we don't have a problem getting them bathed.
I used this practice with my dog at a young age...he is now eight...i just say bath and he goes to the bathroom and gets in the tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM

74 posts, read 136,407 times
I use the hose and a bucket of shampoo.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
We built a walk-in shower just so we could give the dogs a bath. Actually, it was more for the boys.

We once rescued a German Shepherd, where the shelter recommended using one of those dry powder baths or towelettes as they had problems giving her a bath (I think they failed). Well, one day she had a problem where washing her rear in the bathtub was the only solution. I dreaded it and she did put up a fight, but I got her rear in the tub and was able to clean her up. That success encouraged me to give her a full bath that spring. With a little assertive talking, I was able to get her in the tub with only minor grumbling on her part.

None of our dogs have ever liked a bath. What I do is prepare the bathroom with towels, dog soap readily at hand and any human towels and mats picked up and put out of the way. Once I'm ready, I go to get the dogs, who usually know something is up, but aren't fully certain. I grab their collar and lead them to the bathroom. Once the door closes, they know what's coming, but are resigned to it. I can command them to get into the tub (now walk-in shower), but have to hold them in once the bath is started. I keep their collars on, washing it too, only removing it near the end.

The walk-in is nice because I can wear shorts and flip-flops or just bare feet and be in with them. The walk-in is big enough that I can give both dogs a bath at the same time, but I've only done it once. They always try to "sneak" out, first with their head, which requires a pull on the collar to get them back in. Drying is done in the shower, so the first shake out isn't too bad.

My recommendation is to just grab their collar and lead them into the bathroom. Initially, I'll lead them in them into the bathroom on occasion where they don't get a bath, just so it becomes normal. Our Golden Retriever gets about twice the baths as our current German Shepherd. The GSD will still have a hint of the shampoo smell two months after his bath. The GR will start to smell about a month later, but she likes to dunk herself in the kiddie pool we have for them and then roll in the grass, so go figure.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Thank you all for your suggestions! Runswithscissors in right--in this situation, Hobbs is being stubborn, not fearful. He just doesn't want to take a bath--he's a 7 year old boy!! ha ha. Have always used a nice, hand held shower attachment and rubber mat.
A friend recently told me how she gets her Great Dane into the shower (a single sized shower!!). She gets him into the bathroom, has him stand on hind legs with her grasping his forepaws (she is tall), and walks him into the shower. Might try it.
There is merit to training a dog to accept a new experience using positive reinforcement--Hobbs was afraid of riding in the car. Without turning the engine on, I'd get into the rear seat of the car with doors open and encourage him to join me, feeding him little pieces of wieners. Over a few weeks, he'd sit in the seat next to me, worked up to closing doors, and hubby starting the engine (that was nerve wracking for Hobbs) and did a short drive down the driveway. Taking one step at a time and going very slowly, now Hobbs *loves* to go for a ride and is very calm although if in heavy traffic, trucks next to the car do bother him a bit.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I gave mind a sort of outside shower after taking her to the tub, all 80 plus pounds of Yellow Lab and having her not budge an inch. She is extremely obedient and getting in the tub is the only thing that she will not do for me. Yeah, I thought giving a Yellow Lab a bath would be a piece of cake. We have solar shower bags so the next time I'll fill a couple of those and just wash her on the sidewalk. The dog is like a brick wall!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
sometimes its just brute force, carry them lol. my dog doesn't like going in but once in he actually enjoys it. i use one of those rubber kong toys to brush him in the bath/shower and he really likes it

Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
It's cold outside but my German shepherd diesel desperately needs a bath, he likes to sleep in my room but my mother won't let him because of fleas, so I try to bathe him once a week, and it's easy when I do it outside but when I have to put him in the tub it is literally a fight, he won't fall for treats, he knows what's happening and literally puts up a fight. And as soon as I get him in the actual tub and he's calmed down a bit and slightly wet he slips out of his collar and runs. usually leaving the bathroom and me soaked. I need new methods

Old 02-16-2015, 01:59 PM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
I pick mine up and put them in there. Easy with the 30lb beagle mix, much harder with the 65lb hound mix. My husband helps me with that one lol
They get loads of special treats for bath day, but they still don't love bathes. Well the beagle hates anything wet; puddles, mud, other wet dogs, rain, pools. The hound is fairly content once he's IN the tub, he just doesn't like to get into it.

They love it when they get out though, they zoom around the bedroom and roll all over their dirty dog beds, gotta get that clean smell off I guess.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Never bathed my dogs indoors. I only do it about twice a year and have always bathed my Dobermans outside using a garden hose.
Yeah, this is my dog too. I have a BIG dog, and he only gets baths on hot summer days when I can use the hose on him. In the winter, he gets a brushing when it's warm enough out to stand outside for 20 minutes or if he gets super dirty on walks when melting snow makes him messy. Today it was pretty cold, and he's shedding, so I vacuumed him with the hose and stair attachment for about 15 minutes. He looked positively mortified, but he stood there tolerating the vacuuming like such a good boy!!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisivekidd View Post
It's cold outside but my German shepherd diesel desperately needs a bath, he likes to sleep in my room but my mother won't let him because of fleas, so I try to bathe him once a week, and it's easy when I do it outside but when I have to put him in the tub it is literally a fight, he won't fall for treats, he knows what's happening and literally puts up a fight. And as soon as I get him in the actual tub and he's calmed down a bit and slightly wet he slips out of his collar and runs. usually leaving the bathroom and me soaked. I need new methods
Use a harness. He can't slip out and you can hold it. CALMLY not with emotion and stress or power. Go SLOWLY. Don't rush the process which only makes him meet your energy.

Put him on a leash, walk him around the house and then directly into the bathroom, shut the door.

Direct him to get in the tub.

He is an intelligent breed and will understand so it simply becomes a test of who is more determined.

CALMLY. NO DRAMA.

Also once a week is TOO MUCH. And if you keep him OUTSIDE, please don't tell me because I hate hearing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs