Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,150 times

Advertisements

Everytime I get ready to go on a walk with my dog, she goes CRAZY. It's not like going on a walk is a rare occurrence, we got on a walk at least 6 times a week for at least an hour per walk.

I try ignoring her till she calms down, but the second she sees her leash again she gets all crazy again.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
LOL she wants MOAR! Yeah keep ignoring excitement or maybe just "disagreeing" with it calmly not loudly...("shhht")...but give her rules. Since she doesn't exactly speak English you need to explain what you want in dog terms.

NUMBER one rule is we don't move forward in an excited mode. And that doesn't mean simply interrupting her cray for long enough to leash her...but actually getting her brain to calm down. Of course if she hasn't had ANY exercise and been cooped up all day or something it's asking alot so try and be fair.

OK first don't talk too much to her and NEVER make a big announcement all happy. Don't encourage excitement and definitely don't use a high voice.

Stand around three feet from the door holding the leash and don't move. Just wait. You can signal or say "hey" or "shht" calmly something but not alot of words. You could snap your finger and point for a sec or whatever to get her attention or NOT, just wait. Eventually she'll be like "WTH" lol. NO CHARGING past you. Take her collar and walk in a circle back to where you want her - a foot or so from your leg facing you waiting. Or put the leash on to do that then drop it while you wait.

You're waiting to see: All four feet have to be firmly planted on the ground or her sitting. THEN when she does that and looks UP at you eye contact, she's asking "Ok now what". She WILL look up at you when you don't move. Once her brain tells her the charging excitement isn't working because she's still in the house LOL.

ONE foot up means her brain is still in gear to get the jump on you and move FORWARD. NO. All four feet down. And no faking the one almost down haha.

Put the leash on then. If she goes ape just repeat the first step. It's going to take a couple of times for her to understand what you want from her. If you think you're ready WAIT another minute still.

THEN, open the door blocking it with your body or leg. DO NOT let her advance and push by.

REpeat step one. With the door open. She'll be like this:

WAIT. This is all about calm patience. And ending up on the right successful note so it sticks with her and she can be proud. You don't have to use words you'll be talking to yourself. OR some people like saying "wait" because it conveys "be patient this is temporary". I'm not big on words. I want them in tune with me. (I'm a dog walker)

When she looks up you can move and THEN if she tries to charge you repeat step one. LOL IF she gets almost out or out, take her by the leash lead her back in and circle around the foyer to the beginning position. Start over step one.

When she sits or plants all feet firmly on the ground YOU (GOING OUT FIRST) step calmly towards the open door and then you can point to the floor towards outside like "ok come on" or say it. By this point she should be a bit lower key.

All the above is an exercise. It's teaching her boundaries and limitations and the PAYOFF of the great walk. It also drains energy by her focusing so much.

If necessary you can lay a broom down in the foyer like a visual image of where she has to be before moving forward. You're on the ONE side of the broom and she's not LOL. But I wouldn't bother unless you want to use that for all over the house. LIke to demark where she's not supposed to come bounding into the kitchen when you're pouring off the boiling spaghetti water!

This is also an exercise for humans in leadership and communication. It will spill over to all other areas not just dog walking so there's big benefits to it for everyone.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-21-2013 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Agree with this. Since she's used to going crazy before going out for a walk, it may take a ridiculously long time to get out the door at first. It will be worth it in the end. Learning self control is an excellent lesson for her, in more aspects of her life than just getting ready for the walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs