Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

We don't normally name the wildlife around here, but we've got a little half grown cottontail who lives in the shade under the car in the driveway. He doesn't move when anyone walks by and the joke around here is that you have to kick him out of your way. Thus, he got the handle "Soccer Ball".

Wyatt McRiot had been out all day irrigating with me. The irrigated field is complete dog fenced so that Wyatt did not need to wear his beeping collar.

When we got home, I opened the car door and let Wyatt out. He immediately dived for Soccer Ball.

Soccer Ball sat tight until the last second. Wyatt, who has no idea what to do if he ever does catch a rabbit, hesitated because he could not figure out what to do when Soccer Ball didn't run. That gave Soccer Ball a split second for his instincts to finally fire up and he took off at high speed with Wyatt hot on his heels.

I allowed Wyatt to chase as far out as I allow him to go and then called him. He immediately flipped directions in mid air and ran back to me as fast as he can motor. Brilliant dog. Tons of praise, all done without the beeping collar.

No Soccer Balls were harmed in the making of this scenario.

I was hoping that Soccer Ball would learn to get out of the way of potential danger, but he is still sitting tight as people nearly step on him. I just hope he takes off sooner when the local coyote cruises through. I'm becoming a bit fond of him and would hate to lose him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
You need a dog like our GR Annie. She's a soft mouthed dog and over the years, she's brought in a moth and mouse into the house, both dazed, but still alive. I had to come home at lunch to put the mouse outside. Annie wouldn't have hesitated and hopefully once Soccer Ball was grabbed and released, he'd know better next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs