Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

It's no different than getting hit by a car, which would be another way that kitten could have died. Any number of aniumals could have gotten it too. They are not pets, and they live a frightening existence. It was a mercy, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 PM

259 posts, read 670,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of training her not to chase. I live in the city, not out on a farm. My dog is leashed when we are in public and this kitten incident was a fluke and unlikely to happen again. My previous dog, an 11 y.o. shepherd mix never got a hold of any wild animal.

I don't want to un-canine my dog (just like I would never declaw a cat). Right now, she's barking at squirrels running along the top of a block wall. If I was to train that out of her, what is she to do during her occasional stints outside?

I understand why such training might be necessary for some dogs in some environments but for my normally docile dog, her prey drive gives her an adrenalin rush. Who am I to squash that?

My old dog had killed a few squirrels and a possum and the racoons he fought likely died not soon after. He wasn't a cat killer; he loved cats dearly. He was as canine as they came. teaching dogs social structure does not un-canine them. Social structure is what makes them pets.

The cat incident will happen again and it is quite clear you have already recovered from the tragedy. Tell your son the truth, so it will be easier for him next time, too.

Teach your dog how to cope with 'high drive' situations before it gets run over by a car or put to sleep by the Animal Control for biting someone.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM

259 posts, read 670,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's no different than getting hit by a car, which would be another way that kitten could have died. Any number of aniumals could have gotten it too. They are not pets, and they live a frightening existence. It was a mercy, in my opinion.

I've seen cats get run over before and have a hard time believing what you say. Kitten could have been run over by a lawn mower too. Not a pretty image, is it?

We have feral cats where I work. They eat pigeons.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
If you follow the process in the book and it doesn't work, I will personally refund the cost of the book.
Don't see how any method could work if you aren't there to witness it.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:02 PM

159 posts, read 169,155 times
My dogs killed a cat once, we were walking through the cornfield and my dogs saw the cat before I did. I wasn't happy, but it just happened too fast. There was no time to call them off.

atina33, I'm glad you don't hold it against your dog, I've been on forums where people have gotten rid of a dog for killing rabbits.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
My old dog had killed a few squirrels and a possum and the racoons he fought likely died not soon after. He wasn't a cat killer; he loved cats dearly. He was as canine as they came. teaching dogs social structure does not un-canine them. Social structure is what makes them pets.

The cat incident will happen again and it is quite clear you have already recovered from the tragedy. Tell your son the truth, so it will be easier for him next time, too.

Teach your dog how to cope with 'high drive' situations before it gets run over by a car or put to sleep by the Animal Control for biting someone.
How the heck does high prey drive= aggressive towards humans?

Why are you assuming that the OP is letting their dog run round without a leash where there's traffic?

And up is up with the eye rolling? The OP didn't seem particularly giddy about this event.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
As a newer kitten owner, this saddens me.
Good thing my dog is scared of the kittens and cries when they play with him

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM

159 posts, read 169,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of training her not to chase. I live in the city, not out on a farm. My dog is leashed when we are in public and this kitten incident was a fluke and unlikely to happen again. My previous dog, an 11 y.o. shepherd mix never got a hold of any wild animal.

I don't want to un-canine my dog (just like I would never declaw a cat). Right now, she's barking at squirrels running along the top of a block wall. If I was to train that out of her, what is she to do during her occasional stints outside?

I understand why such training might be necessary for some dogs in some environments but for my normally docile dog, her prey drive gives her an adrenalin rush. Who am I to squash that?

Squirrels are my dogs favorite things. We have a few places in our woods where the pine squirrels live, I know they cant catch them, but they sure have fun trying!

I actually use this (lets go find squirrels) as a reward for things, including not chasing animals that I don't want them to.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Same way you teach the dog anything; positive reinforcement of good habits.

This book has been a boon for my dog's behavior. Official Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT) site: humane help for aggression, frustration, and fear in dogs, horses, and other animals.
Thanks for that. How did you teach your dog to read it?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My Basset swallowed one of my parakeets. He didn't mean it. He overturned the cage and caught one. He was carrying it around gently in his mouth when my husband got home. But my husband's overexcitement rushing towards him to take it away caused my Basset to swallow the parakeet whole like he would if you were trying to take a chicken thigh away from him.

I couldn't look at my Basset the same for a while. Eventually I started to adore and love him again. They are dogs. This is what they do when they have the opportunity. It's hard for us to accept when they do something like this, but it's really up to us to limit their opportunities.
RIP parakeet but this made me LOL!

Sorry about your dog. No one even asked what kind of dog you have. That does factor in. Dogs will be dogs. Glad you forgave him.

I hate the kitten got killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs