Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Dogs Loverz | Schwarzenegger Dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Well this is the 10th time that poor dog been posted on here. OLD NEWS!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
I saw a documentary on that dog... I think it was PBS that did it. It wasn't just about this dog, but other dogs with some kind of abnormal weight/build. If I recall correctly, I think this dog has some kind of genetic condition.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Well, it's the first time I've seen, so it isn't old news to everyone.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Thank you Tina. It was the first time I've seen it too. if anybody else is offended because it is OLD NEWS I suggest you just move on and keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thank you Tina. It was the first time I've seen it too. if anybody else is offended because it is OLD NEWS I suggest you just move on and keep your snarky comments to yourself.
Worth repeating!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Awe. That can't be normal. I feel badly for the dog. It can't be healthy.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
hes whats commonly named "double muscled" (actual issue is GDF-8)

in animals it happens because an animal is lacking (or has been treated with drugs in the case of some beef cattle) the myostatin that regulates muscle growth, the muscles literally grow twice as big as normal...
nd yes they are abnormally strong too, it not just a "visual" increase...
its not very common in dogs, but for some reason the mutation gene does show up with suprising frequency in whippets (the dog pictured) and they've been nicknamed "bully whippets"
there not cross bred..they just have a mutated gene...

honeslty it doesn't effect health overall...
however it does tend to cause problems with reproduction (due to bulk and weight they typically cannot breed naturally and natural birth is dangerous...for obvious reasons)
but since this isnst a gene that realy should be bred though, spay/neuter = an otherwise normal healthy happy dog...who ha to eat about twice as much as another dog of his same breed LOL.

in cattle because they've purposely bred the gene into some brees those breeds ho have been purposely "effected" tend to be repsoduced via AI only.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
Wow news to me too! I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds, kind of scary actually. I was glad to read Foxy's comments it looks so bizarre I couldn't help think the dog wouldn't feel well and be healthy like someone with Marfan's, although they usually feel ok. Thanks for the education.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 AM

218 posts, read 544,525 times
First time I've seen this as well, so thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
hes whats commonly named "double muscled" (actual issue is GDF-8)

in animals it happens because an animal is lacking (or has been treated with drugs in the case of some beef cattle) the myostatin that regulates muscle growth, the muscles literally grow twice as big as normal...
nd yes they are abnormally strong too, it not just a "visual" increase...
its not very common in dogs, but for some reason the mutation gene does show up with suprising frequency in whippets (the dog pictured) and they've been nicknamed "bully whippets"
there not cross bred..they just have a mutated gene...

honeslty it doesn't effect health overall...
however it does tend to cause problems with reproduction (due to bulk and weight they typically cannot breed naturally and natural birth is dangerous...for obvious reasons)
but since this isnst a gene that realy should be bred though, spay/neuter = an otherwise normal healthy happy dog...who ha to eat about twice as much as another dog of his same breed LOL.

in cattle because they've purposely bred the gene into some brees those breeds ho have been purposely "effected" tend to be repsoduced via AI only.
I did just hear this about cattle and AI.

bizarre indeed.
Hopefully the dog will be healthy and experiences no ill effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs