Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 AM

267 posts, read 511,680 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a radical change in my dog's behavior over the last 6 months or so.

She's an 8 year old Siberian Husky who has become completely obsessed with food and eating. She inhales her food in the morning and evening like she's starving to death. And then proceeds to lick the bowl for about 5 minutes. The previous 7 years we had her she only had moderate interest in her food and frequently skipped meals. Sometimes it would take her all day to finish a bowl of kibble. Our vet suggested adding a can of green beans to her food to make her feel full without adding extra calories to her diet. And while the dog loves the beans, it had no affect on her appetite.

This new behavior is a problem because for about 2-3 hours leading up to her usual meal times she becomes almost impossible to deal with. She will frantically follow you around the house singing (its a husky thing) and generally annoy the crap out of you until she gets fed. She will eat anything small that she finds on the floor or on the edges of tables/counters, even things that don't even remotely resemble food.

Also, and I don't know if these problems are related, she has become very standoffish and will shy away from any kind of physical contact or affection.

According to the vet she is completely healthy (no parasites) and her weight is in the normal range. Any theories or ideas would be appreciated. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
I've noticed a radical change in my dog's behavior over the last 6 months or so.

She's an 8 year old Siberian Husky who has become completely obsessed with food and eating. She inhales her food in the morning and evening like she's starving to death. And then proceeds to lick the bowl for about 5 minutes. The previous 7 years we had her she only had moderate interest in her food and frequently skipped meals. Sometimes it would take her all day to finish a bowl of kibble. Our vet suggested adding a can of green beans to her food to make her feel full without adding extra calories to her diet. And while the dog loves the beans, it had no affect on her appetite.

This new behavior is a problem because for about 2-3 hours leading up to her usual meal times she becomes almost impossible to deal with. She will frantically follow you around the house singing (its a husky thing) and generally annoy the crap out of you until she gets fed. She will eat anything small that she finds on the floor or on the edges of tables/counters, even things that don't even remotely resemble food.

Also, and I don't know if these problems are related, she has become very standoffish and will shy away from any kind of physical contact or affection.

According to the vet she is completely healthy (no parasites) and her weight is in the normal range. Any theories or ideas would be appreciated. TIA.
You are RIGHT, it's not about food.

Her symptoms say thyroid to me. I'd have a FULL PANEL thyroid test , NOT the routine screening. Google Dr Dodds, a national expert for information.

Dr. Jean Dodds on Dog Hypothyroidism

What about water? I'd screen for Cushings , Addisons...adrenal stuff too. Not always clear cut.

Also, on our megaesophagus board we get alot of dogs with hard to diagnose GI issues and many of them hide and get isolated when they are sick. So the owners always tie behaviors into assessing their condition. (just an example)

IMO she HAS SOMETHING MEDICAL. It's often a long slog to figure out since they can't talk.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM

429 posts, read 971,247 times
I agree thyroid sounds like a very possible culprit to your dogs new behaviors

Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
Have you been giving steroids for any reason? My Pom was never the same after steroid type meds until he died from them. Became food obsessed suddenly.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM

267 posts, read 511,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Have you been giving steroids for any reason? My Pom was never the same after steroid type meds until he died from them. Became food obsessed suddenly.
No, the only medication she's gotten is for heart worm and fleas/ticks.

I'll look into getting the thyroid test, thanks everyone

Old 10-31-2013, 05:43 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
There is something else going on with this dog.... find a different vet if you need to.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Since you said the vet said she is healthy I am assuming she had a complete blood panel done? My mom had a dog that suddenly became food obsessed at about age 8 to the point she was stealing food and she had never done that before. Turned out she had become a diabetic and once her blood sugars were regulated the obsession passed.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 12,292 times
Help, I am at my wits end with my 5years old *****, she also eats as if she was starved does not even chew it we feed her with dry food once a day and she wolves it down and sometimes chocks herself as she eats so fast, I have had to separate her and the 2 year old ***** while they eat as she would eat hers as well, but what I have noticed is she has started not only scoffing her food but eating her poos and I think she has started to eat the other ******* as well, has anyone came across this behaviour ??? and what can I do.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Murdoch View Post
Help, I am at my wits end with my 5years old *****, she also eats as if she was starved does not even chew it we feed her with dry food once a day and she wolves it down and sometimes chocks herself as she eats so fast, I have had to separate her and the 2 year old ***** while they eat as she would eat hers as well, but what I have noticed is she has started not only scoffing her food but eating her poos and I think she has started to eat the other ******* as well, has anyone came across this behaviour ??? and what can I do.
When was the last time she was at the vet? If she hasn't been recently she needs to go. Even if she has been recently, there could be a medical reason for it.

Have you had the 2 year old since she was a puppy? If the dog is a new addition that could be causing it.

Also it's much better to feed twice a day that way they're not so hungry for the next meal.

How is her weight? Is she fat? Too thin? Did you change her food recently?

Any number of things could be going on here but I'd start at the vets and feed her and your other dog twice a day. Just cut what you're feeding them now (assuming it's the right amount) in half.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:14 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I would look for a different vet. There is something going on. Could even be diabetes. Maybe her body cannot hold the nutrition anymore for whatever reason. Does she drink a lot, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs