Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times

Advertisements

.......the groomer of your dog when they are a mobile groomer who comes to your house? Not the owner, but a hired mobile groomer. If so, how much? The grooming itself with puppy cut will cost us $60-$75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
I am my own groomer.

I did take my dogs to a groomer occasionally up north. They'd give me a good price since I brought two at once. I'd always tip. It would be between 10-20%.

It guess it really depends on how big of a job it is... Small dog vs. big dog, etc. If it's a big dog with a really shaggy coat that will take a long time, maybe the tip should be bigger. I used to pay about $140 ($70 per dog) but both dogs were over 100 pounds, and I'd tip another $20.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,993,691 times
Another reason I don't want animals/pets.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I am my own groomer.

I did take my dogs to a groomer occasionally up north. They'd give me a good price since I brought two at once. I'd always tip. It would be between 10-20%.

It guess it really depends on how big of a job it is... Small dog vs. big dog, etc. If it's a big dog with a really shaggy coat that will take a long time, maybe the tip should be bigger. I used to pay about $140 ($70 per dog) but both dogs were over 100 pounds, and I'd tip another $20.
She is a 7lb Havanvese. She should top out at around 11lbs. Her hair is only about two inches long, not knotted and she will be getting a puppy cut, sanitary trim, nail trim, ear hair plucked (whatever that means) and a shampoo and dry.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
How much to tip dog groomer

Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM

323 posts, read 685,312 times
I had no idea it was that expensive to get a haircut for an itty bitty dog like that. Heck, I don't even pay that much to get my own hair cut lol. I would tip, but I think 10% is fine for this type of thing.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Another way to waste money.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:37 AM

325 posts, read 442,141 times
A real Salt-Life guy would probably just take his dog to the Dog Beach and let him swim himself clean!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Another way to waste money.
It's not a waste of money if the owner is incapable of grooming themselves.

Not grooming a dog is irresponsible and neglectful. Some breeds require DAILY brushing and combing. You also MUST use DOG products for the PH to prevent yeast overgrowth AND to prevent matting if you're bathing/washing.

Nails must be cut or they will grow and curl under and puncture the skin. Ears grow long and dip into food and water, then smell or get matted. Ear hair grows in the canals. Hair grows directly INTO the EYEBALL causing damage. PLUS not being able to SEE. Long Hair growth over paw pads, in between toes that gets knotted and they can't walk. Knots are painful. Matting grows into huge matted furballs. Sand and dirt gets stuck in the hairmats, paws, in between the toes. Mats first show up in the sensitive areas like behind ears and leg joints and UNDERARMS and rub the dog and cause skin irritation and can grow into infections. Urine and feces stick to their rectums/penis/vulva and cause infections. Stool get stuck on the hair and not only causes odor but can actually cause IMPACTION if you neglected that area and let a big mat grow there. Dogs with certain coats need a HYGIENE cut down there just for that.

If a person has a breed that needs daily maintenance to grow their coat out long and natural, their only OPTION is to have them CUT and groomed regularly to keep the dog from becoming a big mess. And even THEN, the SHORT coat needs to be cared for with the RIGHT TOOLS and knowledge. You just can't buzz cut a dog, you'll burn their skin if you're clueless just for starters.

Not every tool even gets to the skin where the mats occur. So people think they're doing fine brushing until they try a different tool and find tons of mats in the undercoat.

A dog needs to have no hair rubbing the eyeballs, no nails clacking on the floor or curling under, no hair growing over their paw pads, a clear private part region, and a comb able to go through every inch of hair.

WARNING, HEARTBREAKING VIDEO:

3 Shih-Tzu Dogs Rescued And Get New Life For Christmas - YouTube

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-05-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
.......the groomer of your dog when they are a mobile groomer who comes to your house? Not the owner, but a hired mobile groomer. If so, how much? The grooming itself with puppy cut will cost us $60-$75.
I work for a Shih Tzu who is 17 with special needs. She has tons of lipomas, some skin tags and can't stand for two hours for grooming. She's on heart meds and has KCS. Although she can walk a LONG time around the grounds, that's different than the stress of standing on a table in a noose in a hot vehicle with strangers. And she's good for grooming, anyway, but still....

The first time I had a new mobile groomer, I tipped her (the owner) $20.00. She charged 60.00.

I wanted to reward her patience and care. Her husband comes with her and held the dog's butt to support her while the groomer groomed.

This was just last month. I'll probably continue that because I am not having her done monthly which makes it a bit more challenging for the groomer since it's not so "cut and dry". The owner is not concerned with the extra 10-20 dollars it costs.

I have her nails and feet done by the vet because she has skin tags and the groomer did not take the feet as close as I would like her to, understandable since even though the dog is good for grooming, she is not good about the feet. I wasn't happy with the few groomers who sent her back with hair around her feet. Her clip is for a person in an assisted living facility not for a textbook breed "style".

I groom her everyday as part of our relaxation before I leave but that just means making sure she's free from mats, clean, and her eyes are kept short and spotless. I also trim where necessary. The ears to keep them from going into her canned food, and around her eyes/bangs.

I wish the owner had let her face/eyes grow out to a top knot so ALL the LONG hair could be pulled away from her eyes and up out of the way but I don't think I can have her go through the growing out process. But I am considering that if I can make it happen.

FYI I use a pin brush, a wire brush and a dog comb with half wider and half more narrow tines. I wash her with Coat Handler Maintenance Shampoo (NOT CLARIFYING), Coat Handler Conditioner, and Coat Handler Detangler. They seem to work the best in terms of end result and doing what they're supposed to do.

I'm fairly sure your dog's coat is like this one's. (I'm not a groomer) So the daily routine and same challenges apply. Except your dog has a better snout not like mine with the pushed in nose that get hair stuck in that crevice.

You may want to think about the benefit of letting that face/eye grow out to a top knot to keep her eyes clear and be able to clean that area easier and long term. Just a thought to discuss with the groomer.

Also over the years, my clients with white or beige hair dogs have told me drinking purified/bottled water prevents the staining. Versus tap water with the minerals in it. Dog PH is something that relates to the fur, too, not just GI tract.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-05-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs