Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,747 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, My dog Viko and I got hit with some harsh news, he has 2 torn acl's and in one of them he has a luxating patella (Loose Knee cap) Grade 2/3 This poor guy is only 5 years old and 55 pounds. I am doing research everywhere trying to find him the best care i can afford. The problem is im getting quoted numbers that I can't afford like 3 Thousand each knee. I am willing to travel to anywhere in the USA/ Mexico to find a solution for my baby. If you know of any orthopedic vets who might be a more affordable rate. I would appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
No advice on surgeons, but can tell you that you are in for a long haul. You will need to keep your dog on low activity well before the surgery, and long, long after the surgery. Some vets will tell you to rest the dog for 6-8 weeks before you even consider surgery.

Sorry to hear, it's not an easy fix by any stretch of the word.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Can your vet refer you to someone? Maybe a vet college would be affordable although they can be pricey - I dont think you'll know til they examine your dog - prob. cheaper in the south but cheaper isnt always better - go w/ one who has experience. In the meantime, would keep your dog on the lean side and restrain him from jumping etc. Am assuming both knees won't be done at the same time - ? Honestly I would think closer to home w/b better bc he'll need follow-up visits and maybe therapy for a while. Hopefully you'll get some helpful posts, best of luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking View Post
Hey guys, My dog Viko and I got hit with some harsh news, he has 2 torn acl's and in one of them he has a luxating patella (Loose Knee cap) Grade 2/3 This poor guy is only 5 years old and 55 pounds. I am doing research everywhere trying to find him the best care i can afford. The problem is im getting quoted numbers that I can't afford like 3 Thousand each knee. I am willing to travel to anywhere in the USA/ Mexico to find a solution for my baby. If you know of any orthopedic vets who might be a more affordable rate. I would appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks for your help!
Okay, that's a lot of money...

My Tara (see her pics in my album) had each knee done for about $500 each ACL. However, hers happened at different times. Once around 5 or 6 and the other about age 8ish.

My vet who I had, had for many, many years did the surgeries. If they are 70-75lbs and under, it's $500 per knee. If she had been over 75lbs, it would have cost much, much more.

If you are interested in the clinic's name, send me a DM (direct message) and I will give you the details. There is another clinic in town (Denver) that works on animals for the love of animals and their prices are very reasonable.

What I will say is DO NOT let them put him on Rimadyl or Carprofen (the generic) it is usually the first drug they go to for soft tissue injury but it "can" cause liver and or kidney failure. It is horrible way to watch your fur-kid die. You can look up the effects on Pfizer's webpage in the small print..."can cause death."

There is other medicine without the horrible side effects. You are your dogs best advocate, you are their voice.

I wish you the best. Hope this helps!
~LuvABull

Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking View Post
Please read the link below with an open mind. There is no rush to perform a surgical procedure on your dog's knee. Dog's with knee ligament injuries were treated non-surgically for a very long time and the results of non-surgical treatment are actually well understood, but you can't bill $3,000 for each knee for non-surgical treatment.

It's actually well understood what happens in humans when knee ligaments are not surgically repaired as well: In about 1/3 of people, the knee will stabilize over time and that person will be able to tolerate a normal activity load - albeit with reduced "athleticism". In another 1/3 of people, the knee will stabilize but will become arthritic and degenerate over time. In the last 1/3 of people, the knee never improves, rapidly degenerates and is crippled. The results with surgical repair are far, far better and justify the proliferation of the procedure.

That's not necessarily the case with dogs.

Dog ACL Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
Check with vet schools or rescue groups. Vet school at OSU wants 1/2 down. Read the story here about Mac the pittbull. Maybe you could do the same to raise money for your dog's surgery.

My daughter paid $1000 for a stray cat (neighbors) to have surgery when both of his knee ligaments were torn through. Since he wasn't our cat at the time, the vet didn't charge the full $1500. She also found out before the surgery that he is FIV positive so must be isolated from our other cats. He is such a sweet boy, but I don't know if I would have gone through all the expense. He has had to have his teeth pulled because of chronic gum infections.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Please read the link below with an open mind. There is no rush to perform a surgical procedure on your dog's knee. Dog's with knee ligament injuries were treated non-surgically for a very long time and the results of non-surgical treatment are actually well understood, but you can't bill $3,000 for each knee for non-surgical treatment.

It's actually well understood what happens in humans when knee ligaments are not surgically repaired as well: In about 1/3 of people, the knee will stabilize over time and that person will be able to tolerate a normal activity load - albeit with reduced "athleticism". In another 1/3 of people, the knee will stabilize but will become arthritic and degenerate over time. In the last 1/3 of people, the knee never improves, rapidly degenerates and is crippled. The results with surgical repair are far, far better and justify the proliferation of the procedure.

That's not necessarily the case with dogs.

Dog ACL Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?
This is exactly why I pointed out that some vets will tell the owner to rest their dog for a period of time BEFORE the surgery...because it is not necessary in all cases.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Our 14 year old dog had a partial tear in 2012, which with long crate-rest, healed to the point that she was able to regain activity.

Then in 2013 she basically destroyed it completely.

We did crate rest again (for about 4 weeks before, then surgery, then 8 weeks after).

The surgery used a thread (like fishing line, but "medical") to basically mimic the torn ligmaent. Her recovery went well, but we were very strict about crate rest, limited exercise, and carried her up and down all stairs. (She's only 25 lbs, so that wasn't too hard).

Its about 6 months later and she runs through the snow/ice outside with nearly as much enthusiasm as her much younger canine companions (younger dogs are less tha half her age).

Procedure cost about $500, if I recall.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 PM

60 posts, read 236,103 times
Last ACL I remember at the clinic I work at was a big Dane and it came in at $1000 (total with meds). A dog the size of yours would be much less. I can't remember what the cost of a luxating patella surgery is at our clinic but I'm thinking it's $600ish. Shoot me a message if you want the clinic details! (We are in Kentucky)

Old 10-24-2016, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 8,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleybug528 View Post
Last ACL I remember at the clinic I work at was a big Dane and it came in at $1000 (total with meds). A dog the size of yours would be much less. I can't remember what the cost of a luxating patella surgery is at our clinic but I'm thinking it's $600ish. Shoot me a message if you want the clinic details! (We are in Kentucky)

My German shepherd mix tore his acl back in March. I have been keeping him in pain meds and anti inflammatory meds, I have called every state college to find something less than $4000. He can not do the ligament stitch surgery due to his size and he's too active. Also cause as a pup he had dual hip dysplasia as well. He has had a rough time. 😢 Could you send me the name of your vet , if it is truly that price I would be forever thankful to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs