Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 45,543 times

Advertisements

My 90 lb pitt/american bulldog mix had the surgery 2 weeks ago. We are documenting the recovery here on our blog. I was and am constantly searching the internet for stories and info. As the recovery goes, so far so good, but it also depends on several factors (what type of surgery, TTA, TPLO, Tightrope, etc and meniscus damage) Hope this helps any of you considering surgery or looking for similar recovery information.
tightropecclsurgeryfordogs.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,246 times
Where can I get free service for my dog torn acl

Old 08-20-2010, 02:33 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,545,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftoflife View Post
No where that I know of.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giftoflife View Post
Where do you live? Only need the City and State. What weight is your four legged fury friend? What breed or mix?

The surgery can be expensive but I have heard of some surgeons that do free or very low cost surgery. The problem with TPLO is that the surgery procedure and plates are actually patented. The surgeons performing this surgery still have to pay hefty fees for the right to perform it. Pretty sad that one concern is making so much money off of the pain of our little loved ones.

Here is some information, if you are not already aware of it:

What If I Can Not Afford CCL Surgery? | Dog Knee and Leg Injuries, Cruciate Ligament Surgery, CCL Injury Diagnosis
CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures
Torn ligament in dogs - ACL - dog - cat - pet encyclopedia
Dog Ligament Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?
Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in Dogs
http://www.thespaw.ca/pdfs/CCCL_Slide_Show.pdf
http://www.thespaw.ca/pdfs/cruciate-tplo.pdf

This is a good BB where you might also obtain more financing or financial help options Index page • For Caretakers of Elderly, Disabled, & Handicapped Pets. Dog Wheelschairs Products | Support.

These are the people that patented the TPLO surgery procedure. Slocum Industries, Cranial Cruciate Ligament. I just noted something interesting while checking this link. It appears that Slocum Industries have closed their doors as of 30 June 2010. I wonder if they relinquished the patent to the public domain or not. If so then TPLO surgery could become less expensive.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM

14 posts, read 29,927 times
Default Dog's ACL CCL Alternative Posh Dog Knee Brace to Surgery

There are safer alternatives for acl ccl injuries in dogs that are safer, cheaper and really work.

Your vet will not tell you because dog knee joint surgeries are very profitable.

If a vet is referring the patient to an orthopedic surgeon then the vet receives a referral fee or reward of some 10-15% of the cost of the surgery so every vet has a big incentive to push surgery over any safer alternative. Say a referred surgery is $4500 then the referring vet would receive payment of $450. Not shabby, as many vets have a strong incentive to refer surgery then to mention a safer cheaper alternative.

Sorry to hear that your Dog has a torn ccl acl joint. You may want to consider a custom Dog Knee Brace for your dog very soon to start supporting the injured leg to take the pressure off the good leg.

If both legs have a torn ccl acl then you can get two Dog Knee Braces to support both legs, as many others are now doing.

We went to PoshDogKneeBrace.com - Home or search with words Posh Dog Knee Brace for lots of informative info RE Dog Knee Brace VS Surgery and read the NEWS page with informative articles at the site.

Our own elderly large dog had a torn ACL CCL full rupture and torn meniscus. Vet estimated $4625+ for ccl acl tplo surgery and another $1200 for aftercare or another $3000 for any complications. The very painful surgery with very high risks and failure were unacceptable to us. Instead, we got a fully functioning global stabilizing posh dog knee brace that really works better and safer than any ccl acl tplo tta type surgeries without the long list of complications caused by dog acl ccl cruciate joint knee surgeries.

Our dog healed without surgery wearing the Posh Dog Knee Brace for 10+ months and was able to walk longer and longer each day wearing the dog knee brace and many others dogs are now wearing the Posh Dog Knee Brace and NOT getting surgery because their dogs can heal without surgery wearing a Dog knee brace that globally supports the knee so the knee can heal. A Dog Knee Brace is the safer cheaper alternative instead of surgery.

Please don't put your poor dog thru this very painful unnecessary joint surgery with a very low success rate and high dangerous side effects when there is a safer alternative that is cheaper too.

We had pet insurance that would pay for either the excruciating painful joint surgery or the safer painless Posh Dog Knee Brace. We had a choice since pet insurance pays for dog knee braces because they do work better than surgery without the many complications that surgery offers.

Many Veterinarians lie (or fail to mention dog knee braces- same as lying) to force patients to buy knee joint surgery that their dog really does NOT need and will not tell patients about safer cheaper alternatives. They think by telling patients to kill their dog or get painful joint surgery, the patients will find the money for the vet to profit from the surgery.

There are a few honest vets, usually holistic vets that do tell their patients that dog knee braces are a safer option to start with, and if it works, avoid surgery at all costs.

Well known Fido Friendly Magazine recommends dog knee braces, see link be low...
or search with words
Fido Friendly Magazine Dog Knee Brace to find it
Posh Dog Knee Brace Provides Non-Surgical Recovery From Dog Knee Ligament Injuries | FIDO Friendly

Let us know how it goes?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:06 AM

15 posts, read 18,336 times
I'm not here to say that people shouldn't operate on their dogs when they tear their ACLs, just that it's possible to treat the ACL tear without operating. In my situation my dog was already 10 years old and it didn't make sense to subject her to that amount of stress. I did some research online and asked my vet about people's experiences of treating this injury naturally with rest and more and more rest. We ended up going down that route, and also got her an Ortocanis dog knee brace to wear during the entire recovery process. Whether or not this is a viable option for everyone I can't say, but for us it worked.

My dog isn't back to how she was before the injury, but she's as good as I could have ever hoped for given her age.. weight.. and the injury that she sustained. Anyone in a similar situation should just do their proper research and really weigh out the pros and cons of all the different treatment options for this type of injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs