Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times

Advertisements

Booking non-stop flight cross country w/ Delta, Los Angeles to East Coast. Dog in cargo. Does delta have a good reputation?

It's the only one-way flight to Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Just a note: I've always been happy with American Airlines, however they don't offer nonstop to Hartford.

I should call Delta and check what type of plane is flying on the day I want to travel.

greenie

Old 11-09-2007, 02:25 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
I would be deathly affraid to take my dog on the plane. I don't know why, i guess i'm paranoid. If there is a way to drive where i'm going, then i'll drive. I'd rather leave my dog with a friend, then take them on the plane.
Check out statistics on Pet transportation by different Airlines. I think you can google it under "Pet airline safety" or something like that.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I would be deathly affraid to take my dog on the plane. I don't know why, i guess i'm paranoid. If there is a way to drive where i'm going, then i'll drive. I'd rather leave my dog with a friend, then take them on the plane.
Check out statistics on Pet transportation by different Airlines. I think you can google it under "Pet airline safety" or something like that.

Good luck!
No reason to be deathly afraid. Airlines transport thousands of pets each month. I've transported my animals around the world.

My question is, does anyone have specific experience transporting with Delta? Normally I use American and they've always been really good.

Greenie

Old 11-09-2007, 04:55 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
No reason to be deathly afraid. Airlines transport thousands of pets each month. I've transported my animals around the world.

My question is, does anyone have specific experience transporting with Delta? Normally I use American and they've always been really good.

Greenie

how does this work? They are literally put in the dark compartment with the luggages in the bottom of the plane? Is there a size limit to the dog you can bring? Is there a charge for this? What kind of crate or cage requirements are there? Last time I went to CT from NC I drove but I really wish I had went on a plane instead.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Ask Delta about Delta Dash. The lady I got my pure bred Cavaliers from uses them faithfully. When she has to transport dogs to owners or to shows too far too drive.

They take your dog and keep it in the Dash office, make sure its at the right temp, its the LAST thing on the plane before the plane leaves and the FIRST thing off the plane when the plane arrives.

I had a dog sent too me like that. She was absolutely fine.

Be aware that you normally have to have a health certificate signed by your vet before they can fly, posibly even proof of rabies if memory serves. They also will not load your animal if the temperature in the departure city or the arrival city is not within a certain range.

If your dog is the excitable kind, ask your vet what the best option is. AND don't forget to take your dogs medical records with you when you move.

I have also flown cats with me from Boston to Denver, they did just fine. I would think its alot less stress to be in a plane for a few hours then the MANY hours in a car it would take to drive across country.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Ask Delta about Delta Dash. The lady I got my pure bred Cavaliers from uses them faithfully. When she has to transport dogs to owners or to shows too far too drive.

They take your dog and keep it in the Dash office, make sure its at the right temp, its the LAST thing on the plane before the plane leaves and the FIRST thing off the plane when the plane arrives.

I had a dog sent too me like that. She was absolutely fine.

Be aware that you normally have to have a health certificate signed by your vet before they can fly, posibly even proof of rabies if memory serves. They also will not load your animal if the temperature in the departure city or the arrival city is not within a certain range.

If your dog is the excitable kind, ask your vet what the best option is. AND don't forget to take your dogs medical records with you when you move.

I have also flown cats with me from Boston to Denver, they did just fine. I would think its alot less stress to be in a plane for a few hours then the MANY hours in a car it would take to drive across country.
Just want to make sure Delta is good with animals. I usually use American Airlines and this is my first time transporting my dog on delta. My cat is going carry on so he gets to sit next to me and have his tummy rubbed. Flying at night and plan to give the dog Benydril to relax. Although sometimes I do go and get some valium. I'm all out now.

Does anyone have a copy of a Health Certificate so I can see what it looks like? Is it just a note from the vet?

Thanks,

greenie

Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Can't help you on Delta, we used AA - but I responded in your other thread about the certificate. It's a preprinted form your vet should have indicating shots, wellness check, etc.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Can't help you on Delta, we used AA - but I responded in your other thread about the certificate. It's a preprinted form your vet should have indicating shots, wellness check, etc.
Last time I flew AA, I did not need the health certificate. Bit of a pain, really, as the vet charges $48 for office visit + $10 for certificate.

Last time I got these, the airlines people didn't even look at them!

greenie

Old 11-10-2007, 12:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Last time I flew AA, I did not need the health certificate. Bit of a pain, really, as the vet charges $48 for office visit + $10 for certificate.

Last time I got these, the airlines people didn't even look at them!

greenie
They didn't look at 4/6 of ours...the other two that we sent, it was the first thing they asked for. Better to be safe than be left behind when the bird takes off...at the worst, it's a damn nuisance, but not nearly as big of a pain as rescheduling your trip and paying all the penalties because you hoped you could skate...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs