Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

Im glad I found this forum, there doesn't seem to be many out there that talk about dogs!

Me and my family adopted a German Shepherd/ Golden Lab mix 9 years ago come this April. My father tasked me with training her, which I did a superb job, not to toot my own horn or anything, and I was only 12. She knows everything from sit to "Go get um", I just used different words for "Sickum" (Not on people, but for the rabbits she used to love to chase out of the yard, she wouldn't leave my side until I let her). Most commands have to even be said in certain expressions, with some commands I used hand signals with the words, she knows sit, stay, lay down, come, roll over and shake in both verbal commands and hand gestures. When she is feeling sassy and annoyed you might have to do both to let her know your serious haha.

Anyways I raise this friendly, obedient, loyal and super intelligent dog. I worked her out on my runs and walks as she was younger, but about 2-3 years ago she started showing major signs of hip dysplasia, which I know is common in shepherds and labs, which was followed by arthritis a few years after. Then to top it off my aunt brings her vicious untrained retriever over, and my dog being 7 years old didn't want anything to do with the jumping and the craziness. Well my aunts dog got playfully rough and was jumping and tackling and ended up hurting her hips very badly, a couple weeks after this I couldn't even walk her anymore. She has gained weight but not too much only due to a very healthy diet and vitamins/nutrients, she can even walk up and down stairs still! Not the prettiest sight however.

But about 2 months ago she started acting very lethargic, only showing energy for a minute or 2 when she is let outside to do her business, she cannot be left out in the cold and 3 feet of snow because of her hips and arthritis. So she shows her little burst of energy and happiness and then strolls back inside, to where she just lays down and stairs into the distance or sleeps, maybe moving slightly if you give her attention. Then last month we had a death in the family and she was laying at the diseased family members feet, who my dog was also very close too. The lethargy hasn't gone away, I would have chocked the lethargy up to depression but she was acting that way at least a full month before, and now she is just as sad as we are, if not more so. When I pet her and look at her face to face you can just tell she's depressed.

So I start looking into it, finding nothing helpful on the internet, except the scary fact that her life expectancy is 9-12 years. Anyway Im just wondering if the fatigue shes showing is a form of sickness or just old age? And will the sadness she is showing eventually go away? I was under the assumption that I had at least 4-6 years left with my buddy. Something is definitely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Jonny, your old girl may be in pain. She could also have some medical issues, such as a thyroid problem, that could only be found with a blood test. Take her to your vet for a check-up, please.

I hope you do get many more years with your buddy!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Please take your dog to a vet. She is most likely in non-stop pain. Bad hips do not ever get better, they only get worse. What you see as depression is depression from not feeling well, not emotional depression.
When you look at her and she seems sad, what she is really saying is " I'm not well, help me ".

She is an old dog, not ancient, but old for her breed mix. Things like hip dysplasia wear dogs out physically.
It ages them. At this point in time she needs medical intervention and soon. Other things may also be going on inside her besides the hips. Hopefully, a good vet may be able to make things a little better for her. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times
I agree with the first two posters, you need to see a vet and perhaps have blood work done. She is a senior and it would a good idea.

You are your dogs BEST advocate, as they do not have a voice. Knowledge is power!

I have to warn you about two medicines they may want to give her, one: Rimadyl and it's generic Carprofen. They are the two medicines that are reached for first when it come to pain. The problem is that it does a number on labs and senior dogs, not ALL dogs but when you read the pro's and con's, I think you will see that your dog fall into two of the catagories (lab and seniors) and personally, I would not take that chance. IMHO. I will attach three websites for you to do some research and come to your own conclusion.

I however, have had a dog die from the effects of Rimadyl and another from Carprofen (I did not know Carprofen was a generic for Rimadyl). Also note, there are other names for the drug Rimadyl and they have the same effects...just wanted you to have a "heads up."

Please know, there are other drug therapies for pain management and don't allow the vet to tell you anything different.

https://www.rimadyl.com/Home --> Please read the "IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION" at the bottom of the page, including the PDF download.

The Senior Dogs Project

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carprofen <-- this one has the additional names that it is marketed as, other than Rimadyl and Carprofen.

My vet suggested Tramadol in the place of Rimadyl and Carprofen. It worked well for my dog without the horrible side effects that the above mentioned drug(s) had (death).

There is one more thing. We request pictures of your dog. We LOVE pictures!!! They can be from her better days...

...and most important, we would like updates on how your fur-child is doing...

Best wishes,
LuvABull

Old 02-28-2014, 01:32 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Our White Shepherd is 7, and has some arthritis now. She started acting really tired last year, and didn't even want to join us upstairs at night. A blood test revealed low thyroid, and she is now getting thyroid meds twice daily, plus a glucosamine chewy, and she is practically back to her old self. She's lost some weight, the stairs don't bother her anymore, and her fur is softer. So do get your buddy checked at the vet, the low energy need not be the beginning of the end--it may be reversed. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 AM

5 posts, read 27,192 times
Tramadol worked for our Stella - BUT - this is where she had terminal cancer and was in pain.
check out the thread
Anyone ever used Tramadol for their dog?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
please don't tell me you haven't had her to the vet after all these symptoms? Did you just let her be in pain and not try to determine why? She depends on you to care for her and she deserves that care now. Don't delay--get her to the vet ASAP.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,460 times
There are a lot of things that a vet can recommend to help your pup. Please see one ASAP.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,240 times
I am so grateful for this post no matter how long it took me to find it.

I have an awesome 10 year old {in April this year} GSD, my first ever whom had been my bestfriend and so much more over the years. We trained together for 5 years until we planned to have pups. Kept one and Zuri[here name which means beautiful in swahili] developed hip dysplasia. She had the op toremove the ball from her right hip about 4 years ago. And after much therapy [hydro and accupuncture] she is doing well.

3 weeks ago she was rushed to the vet for a nasty tummy infection which they diagnosed HGE. She took a hard knock and had a relapse as the vet only cleared the bacterial infection and not the parasite [primary infection] had to take her to another vet as I knew something was not right. Now in recovery mode she has lost a lot of muscle and weight which impacts her right leg.

Lately my baby girl has been depressed, I see it in her eyes, she hates going outside and constantly lays. For her walks she comes alive but other than that she is not the same.

I have been searching the net for answers as it is so hard to find a good vet.

I'm terrified of what might happen to her and now convinced that I need to get xrays done and blood work done. Its costly in SA very but my baby is my baby.

Thanks for the first post just makes me feel not alone

Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,240 times
I am so grateful for this post no matter how long it took me to find it.

I have an awesome 10 year old {in April this year} GSD, my first ever whom had been my bestfriend and so much more over the years. We trained together for 5 years until we planned to have pups. Kept one and Zuri[here name which means beautiful in swahili] developed hip dysplasia. She had the op toremove the ball from her right hip about 4 years ago. And after much therapy [hydro and accupuncture] she is doing well.

3 weeks ago she was rushed to the vet for a nasty tummy infection which they diagnosed HGE. She took a hard knock and had a relapse as the vet only cleared the bacterial infection and not the parasite [primary infection] had to take her to another vet as I knew something was not right. Now in recovery mode she has lost a lot of muscle and weight which impacts her right leg.

Lately my baby girl has been depressed, I see it in her eyes, she hates going outside and constantly lays. For her walks she comes alive but other than that she is not the same.

I have been searching the net for answers as it is so hard to find a good vet.

I'm terrified of what might happen to her and now convinced that I need to get xrays done and blood work done. Its costly in SA very but my baby is my baby.

Thanks for the first post just makes me feel not alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs