Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Here's the scenario:

I know a woman who is disabled but really wants a companion dog. Her heart is set on her son's dog. Her son is moving out of the country, to a place where having a dog is out of the question (long story; suffice to say that the dog absolutely cannot go with him).

The dog is 10 years old and 40-45 pounds. I think she (the dog) is a Border Collie or something similar, from what I can tell from a few pictures.

The woman lives in a condo and will likely not be able to walk the dog very much, if at all. (I don't really have a handle on her limitations, but I know that there are times when walking from her bedroom to the kitchen is her limit.)

Her condo has a balcony. Her idea is that she can get a litter box and dog litter. She's done some research and found that a metal litter box will not retain an odor (although she will be able to clean it as much as is required) and that there are large ones (the largest that she's found is 36" x 30') that are designed for rabbit droppings.

I've told her that, IN MY OPINION, it will be very difficult to train a dog who's used to a large yard and walks to learn to pee and poop on a small balcony in a small box, and that broke her heart. So I told her that I'd ask you guys, since you've seen it all, if you think it's feasible to teach a 10-year-old 40+-pound dog to poop in a box that's outside.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
If she's going to get this dog and be fair to the dog as well as herself she'll need to either take it out or find someone who can do so for her.

I would totally discourage her unless she's willing and able to take the dog out, hire someone to do so, or have a trainer help her train the dog to walk with her under whatever her circumstances are.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I think she can. If the dog has to go, it will go. I might look into that fake grass stuff too. And, it shouldn't be the only solution.

Honestly, it doesn't sound fair to the dog, unless she has someone that can come take the dog out daily for some exercise, and a potty break.

Some things to consider....
She needs to make sure it is ok to allow her dog to eliminate on this balcony, is there an HOA or property manager...You didn't say if she rents, or owns. Not a normal situation, may be against policies.

How is this lady going to keep this clean if she is that physically challenged? She will need help...

Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I don't think it will be fair to the dog. It's not just about finding a new way for it to do it's business, the poor dog won't ever get outside. It's health with become compromised without any exercise whatsoever.

Border Collie's are smart. They can learn almost anything. But being smart also means they know darn well when they're getting the shaft and they'll rebel. I think it's a recipe for disaster. (I know my border collies. I grew up with them.)

If she insists on having a dog in her situation, she needs to get a small dog that can be litter trained, but I think a cat is more appropriate for her.

I'm having a hard time understanding how her disability hinders her from taking a dog for a walk since people in wheel chairs have dogs and take them out. I wouldn't encourage her to get a dog with the intentions of walking the dog since it sounds like she's set in her ways regarding how she handles her disability. It's harder for people to learn new habits. lol

I hope you can direct her son to a border collie rescue group so his beautiful dog can find an appropriate home.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 AM

The dog won't have a problem finding a new home -- many friends of his have offered to take her -- but his mother would love her as a companion and her son would like that, too. EXCEPT if it will be problematic, both for his mother and the dog.

Her disability itself is not so much the problem; she's mobile for the most part. However, the medication that she's on for it causes her to have vertigo and that makes it much more difficult to walk sometimes.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Default A recipe for disaster.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The dog won't have a problem finding a new home -- many friends of his have offered to take her -- but his mother would love her as a companion and her son would like that, too. EXCEPT if it will be problematic, both for his mother and the dog.

Her disability itself is not so much the problem; she's mobile for the most part. However, the medication that she's on for it causes her to have vertigo and that makes it much more difficult to walk sometimes.
A person w/ her issues would be at risk for falling, she could easily trip over the dog. She'd never be able to care for it properly. Her wishes to keep this dog given the issues is just selfish and sentimental, not logical and rational.
Her son needs to make the right choice for his mother and the dog. He needs to re-home it w/ one of his friends, who'll bring the dog over occasionally to visit.

A cat is better for this lady, a mature rescue cat who already is out of the chasing around, perhaps tripping this lady..kitten stage.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

It's not a good idea. It's a very bad idea. She's only thinking of herself, not the dog. Her son needs to make the right decision for both of them. I hope he's a strong enough person to tell his mother no.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 AM

I think that you're right, Jan, that she's feeling sentimental. I don't remember her expressing the desire for a dog before her son starting talking about leaving the country.

Hopes, he's had the dog since she was a puppy and he will certainly do what's right for the dog, that much I know. I'm guessing that he's going to choose the friends that are closest (in proximity and in feeling) to his mom so that his mother can get visits with pup.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
FWIW, I'd discourage her too - I like the idea of a cat as a companion or since she's open to the idea of a senior dog, possibly an older small dog who is already used to pottying on papers etc - but obviously it would have to not be a barker and happy staying inside 24/7 - that said, I've had small senior dogs who were never papertrained and were thrilled to get outside even for a short walk - so IMO it would depend on the individual situation - but 10 yr old border collies (or mixes) can be pretty darn active and it would prob. be more than she could handle. Some cats are doglike and very ppl oriented and given the choice of a cat like that or a small senior dog already papertrained, would prob. opt for a friendly cat, there's so many of them out there.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,414 times
Dawn,

As a person with a disability that causes severe mobility issues at times (speaking of me), this does not sound like a reasonable option for her or the dog.

There's an awful lot to consider and to put into place before bringing any dog into a situation such as hers.

I know she has her heart set on this dog but I can't imagine it being a good fit for her or the dog.

Best to you,

second right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs