Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM

45 posts, read 145,096 times

Advertisements

When I first got Bella (almost 2 months ago), she had a nice bout of diarrhea so the vet put her on antibiotics and prescription dog food. Within the first day, she was pooping solid poops. After her meds were finished, I started to transition her to regular food. I thought I may had done it too fast because her poops were still real loose (but not liquid).

Then she got really bad diarrhea again so back to the vet we went and back on meds and (yucky) prescription food she went. And, of course, within a day she was pooping solid again.

This time I've been transitioning MUCH slower thinking maybe her tummy is just uber sensitive. It's been 2 weeks now and I'm still mixing both foods (we're now at 50% old and 50% new), but her poops are still soft! I've tried adding metamucil to her food, but it's not really helping so I'm starting to wonder if there is something in her new food that just isn't agreeing with her. It can't be chicken because her prescription food has chicken in it, but maybe something else? Here are the ingredients (Merrick Chicken & Brown Rice):

Ingredients
OUR FIRST 5 INGREDIENTS:
DEBONED CHICKEN, CHICKEN MEAL, TURKEY MEAL, BROWN RICE, AND PEAS. Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, Barley, Sweet Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 fatty acids), Oats, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Apples, Blueberries, Organic Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Minerals (Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Rosemary Extract.

I'm wondering if I should try a limited ingredient food? The loose poops don't seem to bother her and her energy level is good, etc., but it just doesn't seem normal? Also, her foster mom said her poops were solid when she first got her (and she was feeding Nature's Domain from Costco). For the first few days I had her, I was also feeding her Nature's Domain, but the vet said that it's not the greatest food so I pulled her off it. That said, the same vet said I should keep her on the prescription food even though I expressed my displeasure with its ingredients (corn - listed first, chicken by-products, etc.).

Would love your thoughts/opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Nature's Domain was not the greatest food because he wanted to sell you high priced prescription crap. Corn as the first ingredient? My recent foster was on a similar prescription diet with Brewer's Rice being the first ingredient and I think corn was #2 ingredient. She had a couple of bouts with diarhea and I took her into the vet both times to check her out. After the second round of diarhea I just kept her on home cooked food which she loved and stools were great from then on. If your dog did well on Nature's Domain why not try it out again and see if she continues to do well on it? I would never feed my dog something that had corn as the first (or even 5th) ingredient. jmho

Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
UGH! I'm sorry that the Metamucil didn't work. The only thing that's jumping out at me is grains. Artie was grain intolerant and once I switched him to grain-free food, his stomach woes and such went away. So it *could* be that Bella's reacting to the grains in the Merrick food.

When I thought that Artie's problem could be the grains, I didn't even transition him, since I didn't want to prolong the grain feeding. I just bought Taste of the Wild (he loved the bison/venison flavor) and put it in his bowl. No adverse reaction at all. Of course, your mileage may vary, but Artie was quite the delicate flower and he'd puke after ingesting the slightest bit of anything that didn't agree with him.

One thing that I'd like to mention is that even though Bella is happy go-lucky with her soft poops, she could end up having anal sac issues if her stools continue to stay soft. (How do I know this? Artie.) Dogs usually require firm poops to squeeze the anal sac "stuff" out. No firm poops? The anal sacs won't naturally empty themselves. Once they fill, it's uncomfortable (and stinky) and she might do the bum scootch on a rug to tell you that something bad is happening in her bum area. You'd have to have the vet empty them manually.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm totally with you! Corn is the first and brewers rice is the second on that yucky food! I remember when I told her I didn't want to keep her on the prescription food she made some comment like, "It's not about whether or not you like the ingredients, it's about what works for your dog."

I think I might finish this slow transition and see how she does when she's on the Merrick 100%. Maybe it's the mixing of the two that isn't agreeing with her.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
UGH! I'm sorry that the Metamucil didn't work. The only thing that's jumping out at me is grains. Artie was grain intolerant and once I switched him to grain-free food, his stomach woes and such went away. So it *could* be that Bella's reacting to the grains in the Merrick food.

When I thought that Artie's problem could be the grains, I didn't even transition him, since I didn't want to prolong the grain feeding. I just bought Taste of the Wild (he loved the bison/venison flavor) and put it in his bowl. No adverse reaction at all. Of course, your mileage may vary, but Artie was quite the delicate flower and he'd puke after ingesting the slightest bit of anything that didn't agree with him.

One thing that I'd like to mention is that even though Bella is happy go-lucky with her soft poops, she could end up having anal sac issues if her stools continue to stay soft. (How do I know this? Artie.) Dogs usually require firm poops to squeeze the anal sac "stuff" out. No firm poops? The anal sacs won't naturally empty themselves. Once they fill, it's uncomfortable (and stinky) and she might do the bum scootch on a rug to tell you that something bad is happening in her bum area. You'd have to have the vet empty them manually.
So the Nature's Domain I was feeding was grain-free and someone had posted that maybe the grain-free was too rich for her and that she may need grains to hold it all together so that's why i switched to the chicken and rice!

Ahhh, why does this have to be so complicated. LOL

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniferv View Post
So the Nature's Domain I was feeding was grain-free and someone had posted that maybe the grain-free was too rich for her and that she may need grains to hold it all together so that's why i switched to the chicken and rice!

Ahhh, why does this have to be so complicated. LOL
Yup, I totally understand your logic. And you're right, some of the grain-free foods -- because they don't have fillers -- are too high in protein for some dogs. Artie had terrible (soft) poops when I gave him Orijen, for example. It's a GREAT food but it was just too rich in protein for him. I switched him back to Taste of the Wild and we were both happy campers.

See how it goes with only the Merrick. If Bella's still having a problem, maybe buy a small bag of Taste of the Wild and see how that goes.

Yup, it's definitely trial and error... and complicated! If only they could speak.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Also if your dog has been on abx you need to get some probiotics and feed too, and give them for several months or more.

I second grain free, I feed TOTW lamb and rice and have never had a problem.

Some dogs have a problem with chicken, also you might add plain pumpkin.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 PM

I just started giving her a probiotic about a week ago. She gets it with her breakfast everyday. I will try the all Merrick and see how it goes. And if she's still pooping soft, I will give TOTW a shot!

Thank you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs