Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here breed or have a Labradoodle? Do they make a good family dog? Especially around young children? How are they when it comes to family protection? Is it true they dont shed much at all? Does anybody know of a top quality breeder? What should we expect to pay for one?

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Both the Labrador Retriever and the Standard Poodle are great dogs and usually a good family pet. Both can be a tad exuberent (sp?), trainable and good sized. If the Lab mix is more Poodle in coat bear in the fact that you'll be having to take the dog in for grooming about every 6-8 weeks.

If you wanted a truly awesome dog, I'd say the Curly Coated Retriever

Old 12-12-2007, 02:05 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
I "HEARD" they are very sweet by hyper ....but bleh, what dog isn't at some point.
are you gonna pay for a labradoodle? ...you know it's just another mutt!!! Nothing wrong w/ paying for what you want ...if you like it, it's worth it, has always been my thoughts(my husband doesn't appreciate my thinking all the time (heheh)), but that is one expensive dog!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:13 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Does anybody here breed or have a Labradoodle? Do they make a good family dog? Especially around young children? How are they when it comes to family protection? Is it true they dont shed much at all? Does anybody know of a top quality breeder? What should we expect to pay for one?

Thank You!!
Labradoodle is the same as any other dog. If not properly trained, it can cause trouble with your kids. There are a lot of Labradoodles in my dog's daycare. All are very cute, loving and smart. As far as I can tell, the kids are picking them up along with their parents after school. Not all Labradoodle dont shed. Ask your breeder. It usually should be the F2 generation that doesn't shed and cost more.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:26 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I "HEARD" they are very sweet by hyper ....but bleh, what dog isn't at some point.
are you gonna pay for a labradoodle? ...you know it's just another mutt!!! Nothing wrong w/ paying for what you want ...if you like it, it's worth it, has always been my thoughts(my husband doesn't appreciate my thinking all the time (heheh)), but that is one expensive dog!
My thoughts too, but hey, it's their money! And if you want those two specific breeds, I guess it's cool that you know what you're getting... just make sure that IS what you get, since some "breeders" will pass off anything as a "blank-a-doodle." My best friend has two Malti-poos (Maltese & Toy Poodle), each with completely different personalities & looks, even though they're from the same breeder -

The boy has long, silky, black/silver hair, and a long plumed tail... he's very loud, dog-aggressive, still not 100% potty-trained (at 3 years old!), and high-maintenance - but also extremely lovable & cuddly with all people, and kinda smart. The girl, on the other hand, has the curly white poodle hair, a naturally bobbed tail, and shorter ears... she is quieter, shy/submissive with other dogs, MUCH smarter than the boy, and not as good of a watch-dog.

So my point is that with these "designer mutts," you can get ANY combination of looks & personality from the dominant breeds. Don't expect them all to be the same, and make sure you check their references and pedigrees carefully. All of that aside, most of the Labradoodles I've met were really cool dogs, and supposedly great with kids! Makes sense, since both Poodles & Labs are nice, kid-friendly breeds.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
P.S. My friend paid about $800 for each of her Malti-poos... expect at least $800-1000 from a decent breeder. I paid $50 for my mutt, Rudy, and he's the greatest dog in the world! Of course we all think that about our dogs, but he really is - LOL.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:10 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,570 times
Oh and don't forget to do the puppy test to see if they are fit for you.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 83,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

Thank You!!
Have you considered adopting a labradoodle? I've seen quite a few of this breed cross on rescue web sites. By adopting an adult dog from a rescue or shelter you can be certain that your new dog will be good with children, protective, and not a big shedder. Even the best breeders can only make an educated guess about how their puppies will turn out in the end. Plus you get to feel really, really good about giving a deserving dog a new chance at life. And adult dogs are already over the need to chew up everything you own and they can "hold it" for a long time. LOTS of advantages to adopting!

Whatever you decide, best of luck with your new dog.

edit: I found a web site that has listings of labradoodles (and other poodle crosses) from all over the country. Even if you're not considering adopting you may want to look at the pictures. Cute dogs!

http://www.poomixrescue.com/dog_types.html (broken link)

Last edited by geelen; 12-12-2007 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
What are you looking for? A barking dog? A dog good with kids? What size? Allergies? Active or sedentary lifestye? Dual career home?

How did you come up with the Labradoodle?

I would recommend a rescue. If the rescue is legitimate, they will select you for suitability.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,961 times
I love how so many people want mutts from breeders. Do you understand any one that breeds a cross breed is an irresponsible breeder. They're not bettering the breed at all.

The rescue I work with has a Labradoodle and I've seen several other in rescues. You can find puppies, adutls, seniors.

I don't have a problem with having or wanting a mutt; I own three. But when you want to go to someone who is breeding mutts, that blows my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs