Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:46 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

I used to have a house on a corner lot, and the front side was along an alley. I planted bushes from the driveway to the front on that side for privacy.

Unfortunately, that turned into a huge doggie urinal! Many mornings and evenings, close to a dozen dogs stopped and watered each other's spots. There were enough dogs that it wasn't long before several of the bushes started looking stressed. I took to going out with the hose and spraying down the area every couple of days. That seemed to help.

Then at least two families moved with multiple dogs and no manners. They left poop all around the bushes, which encouraged the other dogs to leave theirs. Soon, owners weren't picking up after their own dogs.

Finally, I raked it all out and put up two fake cameras in plain sight and started sitting out there in a lawn chair in the evenings, chatting with the dogs and their owners and asking them to be more considerate.

It worked, plus the family with the worst offenders lost their house and moved.

I know that dogs have their needs, but I appreciate those who actually walked their dogs without letting them pee on everything.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
Some dogs will poop only in their own yard. Others, need to walk a while before they can poop. Some dogs need to mark every vertical structure they come across; other's don't care. Like people - maybe you need to read a magazine???? Maybe you have a weak bladder and need to pee very often and can't hold it? It's nature, people!

There are lots of animals in the neighborhood - coyotes, deer, raccoons, skunks, possum, squirrels, birds .... they all poop and nobody picks it up. You probably walk in it all the time in your grass and don't even realize it. You also probably track in pesticides and herbicides from your beautiful grass when you walk across it. Those things can cause cancer and you track them in your house all the time.

Relax. The owner picked up the poop. You won't die from a little bacteria on your shoe. The world has much bigger problems.

Rant over.
A little difference there. No one walks the coyote, deer, raccoons, skunks, possoms, squirrels or birds over to a neighbor's yard for the purpose of pooping there (or to ensure they don't poop in the owner's yard).The occurrence of these other animals' poops in one's yard is also likely to be much more at random and less frequently than a neighbor whose dog walks that path daily and poops in whatever yard he chooses. Also, the poop of at least some of those other critters you mention are likely to be a lot less offensive, smaller, and not even noticeable, not like the big smelly mess left by a dog.

Still, I recognize that a dog on a walk may choose his own place to poop, and it might be my yard. I have no objection to that if the owner picks it up, it's when they leave it, and hope no one saw it happen that I don't like.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:31 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaynes288 View Post
.........really want my dog to poop on the sidewalk? ..........
Your dog is trained, so it should not be an issue for you to curb your dog.

"Curb your dog" means that the dog steps off of the sidewalk and into the gutter. Then you clean up after your dog.

"Curb your dog", does not mean to step off the sidewalk onto someone's lawn. It does not mean to step off of the sidewalk and onto the parking strip. It means the dog relieves himself in the gutter.

I am surprised to see how many people in this thread do not understand what "curb your dog" actually means.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
****ATTENTION ALL DOG OWNERS****

We've had enough of your callous attitudes. We're tired of your dog's poop and pee on our private property. The sidewalks and street are paid for with our tax dollars too. They aren't built to be used as waste deposits for your dogs.

Our concerns about your dog's behavior gets thrown in back our face. Some of you actually expect us to solve your dog's waste problem because you have "emotional issues".

Here's the bottom line. Your dog. Your responsibility.

A fed up public united many years ago. We grow tired of roaming dogs. In many areas we demanded and received a government sanctioned Leash Law for dogs. It happened only because we got tired of people like you allowing their dogs to roam wherever they pleased.

So I suggest this. Curb your dog. Show us the respect we deserve before we really get pissed and join hands at city hall. If you won't stop your dog from destroying our lawns, flowers and plants, we'll get the government to make you stop. We'll make sure your dogs are restricted to your property only.

Last edited by Javacoffee; 07-09-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 12:59 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I remember as a kid (back when most dogs roamed free) we trained our dog to take care of business in a field across the street. Eventually a house was built there and our dog continued to travel there for her morning constitutional. We tried to retrain her to go elsewhere but she has headed over there when she got the chance. One day the owner (a very high strung woman who, as kids, we despised) came banging on our door as if someone had just been murdered. My brother who was probably 13 or 14 at the time opened the door and the neighbor began screaming at the top of her lungs about our dog urinating on her lawn. My brother just smiled and shut the door in her face, never saying a word. He became my hero that day and 40 some years later I still laugh when I remember it. Of course she "won" and our dog was no longer allowed outside unleashed but the look on her face when he shut that door is timeless. I always clean up after my dogs but if a neighbor ever complained I would ignore them. I realize plenty of folks object to that but honestly, I couldn't care less. If I am cleaning up my dog's bm, folks need to get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs