Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Here Are A Few Facts About Dogs That Even The Most Avid Dog Lover Doesn't Know About. [STORY]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Interesting, but number 1 is suspect, at least with my Mals from what I have seen. The female tends to poop in all directions. Maybe she is circling a clock dial. The one she just did was with her head pointing approx. 240 degrees, which put her butt at approx. 60 degrees.
The male likes to poop with his butt aimed at the fence, and most of the fencing is on the north, south and west side of the house (some on the east side); only occasionally will be face north.
And NO, I do not study my dogs poop direction, however, just being lucky, I get to see them quite often.

I wonder if Pointers are better at pointing north.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:11 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
^^ Agree. I heard this "factoid", and the next time I watched my dogs poop afterwards, they did happen to poop pointing north. But since then I've seen them pointing every which way.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I'd like to add 2 things to the list...I figured out by myself, may not be true.

-Why do dogs scratch up the ground with their back feet after doing #2?

Because if a predator finds their skat, they will see these long big marks and think
it was left by a big animal.

-Why do dogs love their abdomens rubbed slowly.

Because that was their first feeling from Mom....licking them clean after messing.
It soothes them.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:08 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Actually read that fact about the rear scrapping with the paws many times before. One article stated it was to leave their scent from the paw pads....
Why Do Dogs Scratch the Ground After Defecating? - Pets

Strange is my female just started doing this about a year ago, and still does. But the male I picked up from the rescue never does this.

As for belly rubs. My rescue male loves them, my female hates them.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:40 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'd like to add 2 things to the list...I figured out by myself, may not be true.

-Why do dogs scratch up the ground with their back feet after doing #2?

Because if a predator finds their skat, they will see these long big marks and think
it was left by a big animal.

Really now...and all this time I thought my dog was wiping her feet before coming back inside. I actually had a friend (not dog savvy at all) convinced of this after she heard me encouraging my pup to "wipe your feet, wipe 'em, wipe 'em!" lol I tell all my dogs that and they love it...and scratch harder and longer.

-Why do dogs love their abdomens rubbed slowly.

Because that was their first feeling from Mom....licking them clean after messing.
It soothes them.
Sweet!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Actually read that fact about the rear scrapping with the paws many times before. One article stated it was to leave their scent from the paw pads....

Strange is my female just started doing this about a year ago, and still does. But the male I picked up from the rescue never does this.
When our male Chihuahua does this we call it "the man thing".

Old 11-27-2014, 10:43 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

When our male Chihuahua does this we call it "the man thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs