Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

Awww, what a sweet boy. I don't see any pit, either. A friend of mine had a registered purebred lab (black) whose face looked just like that when he was little, eyes far apart. But of course there may be some mix in there. I'm not crazy about pitties, because one tried to crush our WSD Sweetie's head in his jaws, but I have to say that the dog park is full of pit mixes, and most of them are as sweet as can be.

When we got First Dog she was 8 weeks old, and we knew she was a Shepherd-Lab mix, but we were also wondering what else might be in there. We had all kinds of worries about what she might end up looking like, from a bull terrier to a polar bear . She ended up looking just like she looked at 10 weeks, only bigger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
hes either going to be a stocky lab...or...theres POSSIBLY a little bit of chow somewhere back there. theres something about the bridge of the nose and eye shape that is yelling chow...BUT...its small...

that being said, its a oung pup and his face is going to change quite a lot over the next few months, so unless you paid a lot for him and think the seller might be a lier id just be happy that hes absolutely adorable

Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
^^Not to go off topic here, and it's on topic if the dog does have chow in it. Is a purple tongue dominant genetically? IOW, can a chow chow mix have a pink tongue? I tried to research this online once with no luck.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
^^Not to go off topic here, and it's on topic if the dog does have chow in it. Is a purple tongue dominant genetically? IOW, can a chow chow mix have a pink tongue? I tried to research this online once with no luck.
I dunno if it's dominant, but a spotted tongue is a dead giveaway for a chow mix.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if it was part Chow than if it was part pit bull. Chows are kind of unstable - most of the horror stories I've been told by people have involved Chow mixes.

But it looks full lab to me, and I don't see any hint of pit bull. It's so hard to tell with a young dog though - I know of one situation in which a vet was convinced a very stocky and darkly colored beagle pup was a rottweiler pup.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:46 AM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno if it's dominant, but a spotted tongue is a dead giveaway for a chow mix.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if it was part Chow than if it was part pit bull. Chows are kind of unstable - most of the horror stories I've been told by people have involved Chow mixes.

But it looks full lab to me, and I don't see any hint of pit bull. It's so hard to tell with a young dog though - I know of one situation in which a vet was convinced a very stocky and darkly colored beagle pup was a rottweiler pup.
About Chow-chows, bingo. I am far more leery of Chow and Chow mixes than pibble type dogs.

As far as veternarians, most are not really trained in breed recognition, and a lot of shelters are notoriously bad when it comes to identifying breeds. Dog groomers, who tend to work with a lot of pure bred and rare dog breeds, tend to be far more reliable when it comes to identification, especially hand's on IDing of dogs.

The pup in question does not look to be pure lab to me, but as has been mentioned, pups can be hard to judge. If anything, it might be part vizsla or weimeraner. A few years back, there were dogs being touted as "silver labs", they were really lab + one of the two breeds above, not pure bred lab, and it is possible that one or both of this dog's parents are one of these.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I don't see any pit in that cute pup. If you are REALLY curious you could do the doggy DNA thing.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I don't think he's a purebred Lab and at the same time I don't see any pit there. But he's awfully cute !

As far as the black tongue. Both Chows and Shar Peis have pure black tongues. However. there are some 37 breeds of dogs that can have black spotted tongues.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooo2ne1 View Post
I'm Just curious. I wanna know your thoughts. I got a pup today, the seller at first stated it was a mix Lab and so I asked her what it was mixed with but she then replied that she was told it was 100% Lab. As soon as we got home I realized that his face looks more pit-like. She did not give me any kind of paper. So any ideas?
That's one gorgeous puppy, and I only see Lab, but you say you got the dog from a "seller" -- not a reputable breeder? Then the only way to know is to get a breed DNA test from Wisdom Panel.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Sellers of purebred labs should have the dog's pedigree, certified by a reputable purebred dog registry, such as the AKC (American Kennel Club), UKC (United Kennel Club), CKC (Canadian Kennel Club), etc, or don't expect the dog to be a purebred. While pedigrees are only as good as the integrity of the owners of the dogs whose names appear, chances are that a seller who doesn't even bother to provide a pedigree on a puppy he/she sells is not very particular about the pup's heredity.

I hope that the seller at least gave you the pup's veterinary record.

If you are actually buying a purebred puppy, do not make the purchase if there are no registration papers provided, and you've at least seen the pup's pedigree (they should give it to you). Getting a purebred pup from a rescue or shelter is a different matter, it is unlikely that they would have the pup's pedigree or registration application.

It's hard to tell from the photos whether your new puppy is a poorly bred Lab or a Lab/Pit mix; his head is not what I would characterize as a typey Lab head. It might change as he grows.

Whether or not the pup is a purebred Lab, a Lab-mix, or a definite Lab/Pit mix, he is a puppy needing care and love. If you are going to keep him, get him to a vet for a check-up ASAP (this should be done whether the pup you get is the offspring of a Westminster Best in Show winner or a street-bred pup fostered by a shelter or pound, or any dog or pup from a situation in between those extremes).

If you don't think you would want to keep a puppy who might be a Pit Bull-type mix, then return him to his breeder as soon as possible; while he's still young and cute enough to appeal to more potential owners.
I agree with everything above!

Old 12-06-2014, 03:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
willow is spot on, a PURE black tounge is specific to peis and chows...however spotting on the tounge can happen in MANY breeds...
spotting of the toung doesn't nessicairly mean the dog ha any chow...and no spotting on the tounge doesn't nessiarily mean no chow.

while chows do have a bad rep, (most people forget that chows were bred as a guardian breed! they are SUPPOSED to be naturally standoffish with strangers and dominant and fearless) a properlyraied chow in the hands of someone who understands it is a creature that would go to the ends of the earth and back again for his family...
ive met chows that worry me...and ive met chows that are amazing! like any other "dangerous" breed, I realy try not to lump them all into 1 group...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs