Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM

51 posts, read 166,176 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- I am looking for some advice. I am moving out west with my 25 pound Sheltie by myself- my husband had to go out already to start his new job. We're still debating if I should fly with him in cargo or drive 3 days alone with him- staying in hotels. My move would be taking place in a couple of weeks. I know I need to book a direct flight, but I'm nervous about the horror stories I read. My vet said not to worry and she'd take 4 hour plane flight over 3 days in a car any day. Any one have any experience with dog travel?Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:33 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have driven all over the US with dogs. I would drive over risking flying with a dog any day of the week.

Dogs are great company when traveling. And you get a real brake when you stop at a rest area to walk your dog, not just run in to the bathroom & off you go.

I also like having a dog in a motel. Not sure what type of hotel/motel person you are, but Super 8 takes dogs.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 PM

thanks- I am leaning more towards driving. I don't mind the driving part- it's just the winter weather that's unpredictable and what about leaving your dog in the car while you run in to use the bathroom? I'm scared someone might want to steal him. Am I crazy? My husband says to take him with me while I go to use the bathroom and wait to see if anyone tells me to leave.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM

166 posts, read 482,888 times
I vote for driving. I have driven from Chicago to Denver and Denver to Seattle with my dog many times. We will soon be moving from Seattle to Chicago and driving again. I am a 35 year old female and it is just me and my dog on the open road.

When we stopped, I would crack the window, lock the vehicle and run to the bathroom. I had the same fear as you about someone stealing my dog - no one has and we have been doing this about 3x a year for the last four years.

Has your dog ever done a long road trip?

The best advice I can give you is to take your time. I stop every two hours, play with my dog and give her a small amount of water. The other thing is to have fresh air blowing into the vehicle, not recirculated air.

There are some very scary truths about airline travel and animals. It isn't worth the risk. Consider it an adventure for you and your baby!

May you have a safe trip!!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
I would take driving over flying as well. Now, haveing said that is your Sheltie a "car dog", likes to go on rides? If not start small hops about town now to get him/her used to the idea.

Consdering you could risk being in an accident (any time you drive) I'd either crate the dog or harness it into a seatbelt. Don't forget to microchip with current information

Old 01-05-2008, 06:09 PM

thanks for the tips! My Sheltie is getting better in the car and not throwing up like he used to. I'm in my 30's as well and was a bit scared about the trip. I'll just leave early and get into the hotels before dark.
I'm leaning more towards driving.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:35 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
My Dh has been in the airlines industry for a long time, and from stories he's told me... i'd NEVER put any pet in the cargo hold. not worth the risk.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
I vote for driving too. I've done a move by myself from Ohio to California and back by car.(SUV)
I have two medium sized dogs. One was crated in the back of the SUV and the other was seat belted in the front seat.
When you make reservations at the hotels request a ground floor near a back entrance.
I found that to be the easiest exit when they had to go outside instead of taking the steps or an elevator with two dogs.
And that way you're not disturbing the other guests.

I was given a mild tranquilizer for my one dog because she was definitely not use to driving in a car, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
But all in all the trip went very smoothly.

Good luck and happy travels!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Default Drive, she said

I'm doing three days (NJ to NM) with my two dogs later this month. I couldn't imagine anything worse for them than being in crates in the bottom of a cold, noisy, smelly airplane.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
I don't really know what I would do but to give another perspective. The rescue group I got my dog from flies dogs all over the country regularly and they feel very confident about doing it. If you look at their web site they talk about the shipping of the dogs. Scroll down on the sidebar to find airline travel for dogs. Small Paws® Rescue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs