Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times

Advertisements

My dog is only crated at night for sleep, otherwise he is loose in the kitchen/dining/living area.

We don't take him for rides much but I would love to take him more often. I definitely wouldn't do it if it's too cold or too warm, but I think it's a good thing to get them used to being in the car and seeing stuff. I just wouldn't leave them in the car by themselves for very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 AM

483 posts, read 655,313 times
Even if its cool out, I wouldn't leave them in the car. You have to leave windows cracked and that means someone can force down the window and mess with your dog, or take things. 70 is too hot for them to be in the car, 40's 50's while they should be okay, I wouldn't risk someone messing with my dogs. Even if its just some teenage kids taunting them through the windows, so I leave ours home unless they come in.

Crating them during the day is fine, with enough exercise. However I would suggest, if you have the space to spare, dog proofing a room. We had an oversized laundry home in our last rental that we used for them, and now in the apartment we have the dining room gated off. The only thing in there is bookcase and the table, and even the hound(who is still learning house rules) doesn't mess with the furniture.
They enjoy because they can play together, we toss in toys and their beds, and they can look out the patio.
I know they sleep most of the day, but I feel better knowing they can stretch out, watch the window, and play if they want too.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
I'll echo what most are saying. I would not leave the pup in the car for longer than 5 minutes. The only times I ever left Sawyer in the car was if I was at the gas station and had to run in to grab something on our way somewhere...like a water bottle if I forgot one on the way to the park. And never on a hot day (anything over 65 and sunny) or on too cold of a day.
As far as the crate, so long as he's gotten enough exercise and it is never used as punishment then you are fine and should not stress about it it.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
1. No--don't get in the habit of leaving your dog in the car. If I have to run into the gas station really quick, maybe. Out running errands? No way.
2. Crating a dog in moderation is okay. I am not personally a fan of it, and my goal is to house break a dog asap. But some dogs cannot be trusted so the crate is the only way to keep them and your home safe. I wouldn't leave a dog for a full day of work in the crate though; my personal feeling is 4 hours is the max I'd do.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
When I first got my chi, I left him in the car to grab something quick at a store. It was in the 70s so I didn't really worry. When I came out about 15 mins later, he was breathing and panting so heavily that I thought he would die. It took him several hours to finally calm/cool down. I have never left him in the car since.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM

155 posts, read 267,717 times
Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Weather depends on more than just temps. If sunny and 70 it could get a bit warmer in the car than you think; if overcast or at night, then 70 is not a killer (pun is intended). In my case I have a Malamute, when a Pup she was not left in the truck, now, she is 3 years old, I will take her where I will be in a store for a short time such as local grocery store, Lowes, etc., but not a run to Walmart or the mall. And she is very protective of the vehicle, so if someone wants to put their hands inside....(before someone yells liability, so long as they stuck their hands inside the vehicle, it is their problem not mine...but really most people are smart enough not to try).

As for crate. When she was a pup, yes, in a crate when ever I was not home and at bedtime. Then eventually not at bedtime but still when I was not home, and now....no crate, no problems. As my security cameras show, she basically goes off to the bedroom and I'm guessing sleeps on the bed till she hears the garage door open. But every dog is different....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs