Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 08:31 AM

631 posts, read 398,554 times

Advertisements

I've had 4 dogs (including a greyhound), that sleep (or have slept) with me over the years. Even though they had/have their own beds, they still prefer to sleep in my bed. I even got stairs for the smaller dogs to use to get up and down.

I'm just wondering how many of you let your dogs sleep with you?

(I tried to create a poll but it doesn't seem to be working).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 11:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
My dogs sleep with me. They have their own beds on the floor but inevitably they wind up on the bed at some point. I have four, so they rotate. One dog will bark from the floor and then one will jump down. Usually it's the Coonhound and Pibble that switch. I don't know how they decided who gets to go up first but that's how the pecking order works right now. We have a newer rescue who pretty much stays on the bed the whole time unless she has decided to stay in her crate. The other dog is an older Feist that stays in her crate and only jumps on the bed if she's cold.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:55 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
I've had 4 dogs (including a greyhound), that sleep (or have slept) with me over the years. Even though they had/have their own beds, they still prefer to sleep in my bed. I even got stairs for the smaller dogs to use to get up and down.

I'm just wondering how many of you let your dogs sleep with you?

(I tried to create a poll but it doesn't seem to be working).
Of course!......when I am with dogs, that is, like when, when she was alive, I stayed at Mom's house.

A and B. A: In my family, pets sleeping with one is as natural as ducks in a pond. Further, as the unmarried sibling, long ago on family gatherings, my room, if it wasn't the fold out sofa, it was the one to bed down with the pets.

B: BUT.......here on the Net, I have seen many respond with how odd that is. Shrug! To each their own.

No dogs right now, just cats, but 4 of them often sleep with me on the bed, a black cat to each corner or so. I think it is a black cat thing for the other cats of different colors sleep elsewhere.

Finally, despite how bad the morning back is from sleeping with two small dogs and maybe a cat (Mom's herd) on a single bed, I'd do it every time.........and how wonderful a big bed is when you have pets.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-14-2024 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 11:56 AM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Where's the poll?

Old 02-14-2024, 12:00 PM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
None of my dogs has ever slept in the fairly expensive beds I provided for them. The current critter sleeps in the crook of my legs at night and gets very persnickety if I am sleeping on my back or stomach, so much so that he will nudge me. If he could talk he'd tell me, hey, roll over, I need the crook!!! then he hunkers in. Every now and again he'll jump off the bed and sleep for a bit on the floor, but not for long.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:34 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
No. Our dogs have not been allowed on any of the furniture. They had the choice of their own bed or sleeping in their open crate.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:35 PM

2,340 posts, read 611,959 times
Roxie used to sleep at the foot of our bed. She has passed away so, no current dogs are too big to sleep on our bed but my Leo kitty sleeps next to me and Maxine at the foot of the bed. One dog is in a crate at night, the other sleeps on the floor near the bed.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:45 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I’ve only had 2 dogs. My current dog always sleeps on the bed; he’s a rescue and he’s slept on the bed with me since Day 1.

My former dog started off sleeping on the bed with me as a puppy. Unfortunately, my bed at that time was a twin bed with a box spring on the floor. So, she very easily rolled off of it simply because there wasn’t enough room for the both of us. After probably the fifth roll onto the floor, she started sleeping on the floor, which she did for the rest of her life. She always slept right next to the bed on the side that I slept on; I’d have to remember not to step on her when I got up in the morning. She would occasionally get on the bed (which was a queen-size when she was full grown) for a nap but never to sleep at night.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:06 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Depended on the dog. I learned years ago I am a one-dog-to-spoil-rotten person. I also live alone. Of course, I'd offer to share my bed. Some took me up on the offer, others didn't.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:09 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Yes my 2 little dogs sleep with me. When I had 4 little dogs and a 84 lb husky shepherd mix that I was allergic to they all had crates and beds in our bedroom. Now with only 2 it’s no problem sleeping with them. Even when I had 5 dogs they were all allowed on the living room furniture. It didn’t take me long to train the big guy that he could get on all the furniture except my bed because I also had asthma. He was so smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs