Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 02:14 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In 1974 we moved into my stepfather's house. Whenever we had thunder and lightening or even strong wind, I found 75 lbs. of Royal Standard Poodle in my bed, licking my face, despite my recent arrival in the family. And the dog generally was not a licker.
Well, that makes sense. Out of character licking or licking unusual items can be a sign of anxiety. It's an attempt to self calm or distract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 05:54 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
I grew up with large dogs and have had one mid-large dog since moving out of my childhood home. Dogs were not allowed on the beds or any furniture. This was before dog/cat beds were popular so they didn't have that either. They were allowed to sleep anywhere they wanted as long as it wasn't the bed/other furniture. When I lived by myself the dog always slept on the floor next to the bed.

I pet sit at times and am planning on dropping overnights simply because so many people do allow their dogs to sleep in the beds and it's really annoying to fight for bed space.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:23 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I grew up with large dogs and have had one mid-large dog since moving out of my childhood home. Dogs were not allowed on the beds or any furniture. This was before dog/cat beds were popular so they didn't have that either. They were allowed to sleep anywhere they wanted as long as it wasn't the bed/other furniture. When I lived by myself the dog always slept on the floor next to the bed.

I pet sit at times and am planning on dropping overnights simply because so many people do allow their dogs to sleep in the beds and it's really annoying to fight for bed space.
i agree with the post above.

i do not share my bed with dogs or cats.
nor do i share my bed with people who have the expectation of dogs or cats in the bed.
i also don't eat at anywhere, where dogs and cats eat from the same table as the people do.

i remember my parents house-sitting for a couple on vacation, and literally the dog and the cat had booster chairs and were served and ate at the dining table.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:08 PM

35,072 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, that makes sense. Out of character licking or licking unusual items can be a sign of anxiety. It's an attempt to self calm or distract.
Thanks. Samson was unusually sweet for a vicious breed, but he maybe would give me a quick lick, coupled with a swinging tail, when I came home from college.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 804,833 times
I'm late to the party here, but I was never allowed pets as a child, so when I FINALLY had my first dog, damn right she slept in my bed, she got me through a lot of things in life that a lot of people didn't stick around for.

And many years & dogs later, if they want to sleep in the bed, they do. When spouse & I met, he came with a Great Dane. She was awesome, so she was welcome, too, & at the time we had just a standard, double bed. A lot more dogs can fit on our current, king bed!

Old 02-18-2024, 05:41 AM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Oh hail no! I have a friend that allows her cats to jump all over the kitchen while she is cooking. I will never eat her food again!
That's a whole 'nother story!

Old 02-18-2024, 06:06 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
As a poodle owner I can confirm that they don't smell and of course they don't shed either. Win, win for bed sharing!
As a miniature poodle owner I can confirm the above and add to it that they are amazingly brilliant and of course, absolutely gorgeous!

We've had all kinds of mixed breeds over the years and an occasional full breed with dubious unknown backgrounds (from Rescues) but our miniature poodle is the first full breed with known legitimate origins and she just happens to be a poodle. I'm not being faceious when I say I am in awe of her intelligence.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:18 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No. Our dogs have not been allowed on any of the furniture. They had the choice of their own bed or sleeping in their open crate.
This^^^^^

Old 02-18-2024, 07:23 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They usually don't smell, at least as much as other breeds.
Yes they smell. My BF’s mom has one. Honestly I think “ dog lovers “ simply like the smell of dogs.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:24 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i agree with the post above.

i do not share my bed with dogs or cats.
nor do i share my bed with people who have the expectation of dogs or cats in the bed.
i also don't eat at anywhere, where dogs and cats eat from the same table as the people do.

i remember my parents house-sitting for a couple on vacation, and literally the dog and the cat had booster chairs and were served and ate at the dining table.
Dear God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs