Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2024, 01:31 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I said earlier no dogs on our house bed- this much is true, but I do allow my dogs to sleep with me when I'm out bird hunting. A lot of times I'll be out for 5+ days in remote areas. They work their butts off. If I walk 10 miles they've run 40 miles. Yes they are dirty even if I wipe them down. But so am I. The best I can do is bowl bathe in the truck camper. So yeah they deserve a little pampering and a good nights sleep when they are sore, tired and need to recharge.

Even my old friend who sometimes goes bird hunting with me finds room for his favorite gal old Dutch.
Funny pics. I am sure you take good care of your pups! But I'd be sleeping in a different vehicle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 01:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
@Threerun - your dogs look so happy and satisfied.

I think hunting dogs are so amazing. They live for the "hunt" and have unlimited energy and are happiest when they are out in the field doing what they do best.

The 2nd pic is my fav. They look simply bushed, but so happy to be in the comfy human bed with each other (I bet they are best friends).

I've always stated that owning dogs is a huge responsibility. If you can't give them a happy life (spending time with them and giving them a meaningful life) then don't bother owning dogs.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:45 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I absolutely LOVE the photo of your friend with Dutch. Fantastic picture!
It was hard to take that picture because I was on my cot and my 90lb male was sleeping on my legs, lol.

We had two large dog beds set up near the heater and all they wanted was to be with us.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:25 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
All of this fuss re: dogs on beds, I just don’t get it. The only reason dogs want to sleep on their human’s bed is because that’s where there human is and it smells like their human. We’ve bred them to to want to be around us, so it makes no sense to then insist that they do their own thing at night.

I’ve always taken it as a compliment that my animals want to be where I am. The bed is no exception.

Old 02-24-2024, 02:52 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I understand why some people don't allow it, for a variety of reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2024, 03:17 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
they get used to it. and become inured to it.
i had a friend with two dogs and two cats. She would only ever get animals in pairs so they would have a companion. whenever we visited her house the first thing she asked was "is there an odor" because she was meticulous about not wanting to have odor regarding her pets, but she fully admitted that living with them she could not detect the odor herself. So whenever anyone visited she asked them that right away when they entered her house.
It's the same thing as smokers, and I am an ex-smoker, cannot smell the awfulness of the cigarette smoke in their homes, on their personal items, or on themselves. But others can.

I am recently retired and in a place now where I may have time in my life for that Golden Retriever I have always wanted. However, under no circumstances will a dog sleep in my bed, or get on my furniture. That's my personal space, I won't share it with an animal. They have their place. But it's not in my bed.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
All of this fuss re: dogs on beds, I just don’t get it. The only reason dogs want to sleep on their human’s bed is because that’s where there human is and it smells like their human. We’ve bred them to to want to be around us, so it makes no sense to then insist that they do their own thing at night.

I’ve always taken it as a compliment that my animals want to be where I am. The bed is no exception.
Dogs have been breed largely for purpose. Sporting group, hound group, herding group etc. They are instinctively task purpose animals. Sleeping with us is not one of them (naturally). That's a modern interpretation of a lot of dog owners. The 'fur baby' syndrome as I like to call it.

We had a blue tick coon hound that was extremely loyal to us and extremely protective of my children when they were really young. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with inside the house. She was 100% active at night patrolling the house and the property. When my kids would play in the woods she was right by their side. You couldn't DRAG her into the house.

Dogs are happy when they perform a task, and we provide them with food shelter and human companionship on our terms, not theirs.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:53 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Dogs have been breed largely for purpose. Sporting group, hound group, herding group etc. They are instinctively task purpose animals. Sleeping with us is not one of them (naturally). That's a modern interpretation of a lot of dog owners. The 'fur baby' syndrome as I like to call it.

We had a blue tick coon hound that was extremely loyal to us and extremely protective of my children when they were really young. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with inside the house. She was 100% active at night patrolling the house and the property. When my kids would play in the woods she was right by their side. You couldn't DRAG her into the house.

Dogs are happy when they perform a task, and we provide them with food shelter and human companionship on our terms, not theirs.
And one of those tasks is companionship. It might not be what the dog was historically bred to do but that is the task of the majority of dogs in the U.S. today. So, asking those animals to lie on the floor when their job is to be with their person is odd to me.

FWIW, I can’t stand the term “fur baby.” My dog is not a baby.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
And one of those tasks is companionship. It might not be what the dog was historically bred to do but that is the task of the majority of dogs in the U.S. today. So, asking those animals to lie on the floor when their job is to be with their person is odd to me.

FWIW, I can’t stand the term “fur baby.” My dog is not a baby.
You’re missing the point. They weren’t tasked to be with us. They are tasked to work with us. They are more than content off a bed as on a bed. If the owner / handler wants a bed pig so be it. You want a couch potato fat lab that’s easy, but a lab would be right at home in the water retrieving ducks or bumpers and might, just might be more fulfilled.

Their ‘task’ is not to be someone’s leash candy.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:

Here's what the AKC has to say about it:

Quote:
The diminutive breeds of the Toy Group come in enough coat types and colors to satisfy nearly any preference, but all are small enough to fit comfortably in the lap of their adored owners. In a way, toy dogs are their own version of working dogs—they work hard at being attentive, affectionate companions. Breeds in the Toy Group are popular with city dwellers, as their small size makes them a good fit for smaller yards or apartments.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/li...ups-explained/

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-24-2024 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs