Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2024, 05:15 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe a bit off-topic, but you mentioned couches. I was at a seminar in someone’s living room with about 30 people there. The host had a golden retriever that went around the room and a circle putting his head in peoples laps to be petted. I was a bit surprised because golden retrievers are generally reputed to be not safe dogs.
Where did you hear that? I've always heard they're the best dogs to get for a family. Goldens are used for Guide Dogs.

I will say here, though, that no matter how even tempered a dog is, any child that harasses a dog by pulling on its ears and tail or slapping it or bothering it when it wants to eat or be left alone is just asking for a bite in the face. And for all you people who will tell me about Old Rover who let the kids do this stuff to him and never did anything, shame on you. Why should any dog have to put up with this and why haven't you taught your children how to behave around dogs?

Many breeds have a reputation for being good with kids and families and because of that, you have parents who think they don't have to watch their kids around a dog or teach their kids to respect a dog. You can always tell who these parents are because they'll let their kids just run up to strange dogs and they're also the ones who bring their kids into dog parks to "play with the dogs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 05:21 PM

I read once that a dog is like a child. If you want it clean, you have to keep it clean.

I always let my Dobe sleep on the bed and except in the hottest summers, he liked to sleep under the covers as well. I kept my dog clean. He was brushed and bathed regularly and when you pet him, you didn't get that dusty, dirty feeling on your hands. He was as slick and shiny as a seal. I like dogs, but I hate to pet dirty ones.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:28 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Where did you hear that? I've always heard they're the best dogs to get for a family. Goldens are used for Guide Dogs.
Suspect that poster is being facetious and pulling our collective chains. They been making the same rather bizarre claims about "unsafe" breeds for years.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:30 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
They definitely hit people with their tails.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They definitely hit people with their tails.
Also definitely NOT the breed you want if being French kissed by a dog isn't on your agenda.

Old 02-19-2024, 04:59 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Also definitely NOT the breed you want if being French kissed by a dog isn't on your agenda.
Licking, yes. French-kissing by a dog? How?

Old 02-19-2024, 05:00 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
My wife and I have a king size bed. Our 70lb mix sleeps at our feet. We don't mind.

He's also allowed on the couch. I love that he cuddles with us. Like my wife says, "If you don't want dog hair on you, then stay outside".

Our dogs are our family, and we treat them as such.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
My wife and I have a king size bed. Our 70lb mix sleeps at our feet. We don't mind.
He's also allowed on the couch. I love that he cuddles with us. Like my wife says, "If you don't want dog hair on you, then stay outside". Our dogs are our family, and we treat them as such.
yes that's what the couple said who had their dog and cat on booster chairs eating at the dining table with them.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:43 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i also don't eat at anywhere, where dogs and cats eat from the same table as the people do.
I worked for someone who got a new dog. They said "please do not feed him people food, I don't want him to start bad habits". That was easy for me because I don't feed pets people food, and certainly not someone elses pets.

They invite me over to supper one night. The dog spent the night with his nose on the table. Then the same someone who said "don't feed him people food" slipped him some supper.

We have a family member who brings their dog to holiday meals and the dog begs. Drives me crazy. No one else will speak up but I'll shoo him right out of the room. Once I said I was going to put him in a bedroom until we were done eating. I refuse to be polite when I have to push someone's animal away while I'm eating at a table inside a house! (note it's not the pet-owners house, they are a guest)

Old 02-19-2024, 10:30 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes that's what the couple said who had their dog and cat on booster chairs eating at the dining table with them.
I would love a photo of that. Were they wearing bibs with cute little human pictures on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs