Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 PM

676 posts, read 936,908 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going on vacation but to get there we need to spend one night in a hotel. My 3 little girls are not used to being anywhere but home. They are going to bark at everything and anything when they are in the room. What can we do to try and keep them from barking ? We are thinking about taking turns in our truck and keeping them in there so as not to disturb anyone. And of course the weather has to be cool. If we are comfortable in the truck then they will be comfortable temperature wise. Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 02:31 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Are they barky dogs at home? If not, your fears may be overblown.

If you are in the room, they will likely behave, more or less, like they do at home, with maybe a little more alert barking because it is a new environment. If they are barkers, then yes, they will be somewhat more barky in a new environment.

You might also try having them wear thunder shirts (or any dog shirt really) to help them stay calm.

When I fly my dogs (and that is pretty rare), I have given them a Benadryl before the flight, it's a little bit of a "better living through chemistry" strategy, but the dogs are calm through the gates, and I assume sleep through most, if not all, of the flight.

Most Holiday Inn's will take dogs, but they usually have a non refundable pet deposit charge (typically about $25, but that's still a lot cheaper than kenneling 3 dogs!). Even Hotels and Indigo Hotels are in the Holiday Inn group, but are both dog friendly with hardwood floors in the rooms and they don't charge pet deposits (at least not as of summer of 2014).

I am sure many hotels in the location you are travelling to/through will take pets with a pet deposit, but you would need to check during the reservation process so you don't get a "surprise" at check in.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:47 PM

I found La Quinta Inn in Valdosta and all the reviews were very good except for the drunk that said they ran out of snacks. Some hotels should not take people !!!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I found La Quinta Inn in Valdosta and all the reviews were very good except for the drunk that said they ran out of snacks. Some hotels should not take people !!!
LOL! Too True!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
get them trained now spray them with a water bottle when they bark and eventually when they see the water bottle they will stop barking . For Gods sake don't leave them in the truck that is beyond reasonable . take them into the hotel plain and simple and they will be fine . Good luck

Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
You might also try giving them each some Benadryl (generic is fine) to help make them a little bit sleepy. When I had a dog who had to be kept crated and calm for several months as she recovered from major surgery that was what my vet suggested.

I currently have newly adopted but older 65 pound dog who is taking it for severe allergies and the vet put her on 75 mg, twice a day until I can afford to put her through allergy testing.

Call your vet and ask if this would be OK for yours.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Please no truck. Benadryl will take their edge off.
Take them for walks or one very long walk to tire them out. Raw hides? Bones? Some chew toy with a treat in it to keep them busy.
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 PM

107 posts, read 152,138 times
I almost always take my pups with me when I travel (as long as it is by car) and have never had difficulty finding pet-friendly hotels.

All of my dogs have their own crates at home, which they have access to 24/7. Since their crates are pretty much their personal "dens" and safe places where they often go sleep or have some "alone time", I take them with us and set them up in the hotel room. It seems to help them feel more "at home" in a strange place...which results in less anxiety and barking.

You might also want to request an end room on the first floor, so there is less action going on around you (which may trigger barking)...walking the dogs and keeping them well-exercised should also keep them from making as much noise.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 AM

I was really worried about this trip but now you all have eased my mind. I will try each and every suggestion. Nobody mentioned ear plugs for them LOL..just kidding. Thank you all and God Bless You and your little ones.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:19 AM

48 posts, read 54,855 times
Benedryl and a loud room fan that will block out outside noise. It works wonders for us. We can never leave the back door open because everytime the wind blows the screen makes a knocking noise and our dog always barks thinking someone is knocking somewhere. When we have a fan on, the dog can't hear the knocking.

If they cant hear people or movement outside they prob will be a little calmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs