Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

So where is the poster who claims this never happens? Of course it happens. This is disgusting.

Pet owner says dog died after being left in drying cage too long during Petco grooming trip | abc7chicago.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 01:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
This is disgusting and I feel very sorry for the pet owners. Interestingly, when we first got Darcy, a dog that had lived in many shelters over the 7 years before we adopted her, we took her to Petco for grooming while we were next door at Costco. I don't know what made me leave Costco and go check on her, but when I walked in, they told me that Darcy was not cooperating with them and it would take several more hours. I saw Darcy, she was terrified, and I told them that I was taking her home immediately. When they told me that she wasn't dry, I told them that I had a heater in the car.

Never again. All of her grooming, what there is of it, is done at home by me.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
There is another thread on the Richmond VA forum.

Very sad. It has happened before. Here's a story from 2011.

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/07/28/woman-sues-petco-after-dog-dies-from-cage-dryer/]Woman Sues PETCO After Dog Dies From Cage Dryer | Fox News[/url]

Old 06-01-2015, 04:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
This happened to my buddy while he was watching our dog while we were on vacation. We had to cut our vacation short and come home and get our dog because him and his wife were so distraught that their dog was killed while there for grooming.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So where is the poster who claims this never happens? Of course it happens. This is disgusting.

Pet owner says dog died after being left in drying cage too long during Petco grooming trip | abc7chicago.com
From a news report on the 2011 PETCO case:
"PETCO released the following statement in regards to Sadie's death:
We've been aware of Sadie's story since it happened three years ago. We can't comment on the case, as it's currently in litigation, but it was a tragic loss and we take all issues of pet safety very seriously. Over the last few years, we've made a number of improvements in the grooming equipment we use and we are always seeking to improve our existing safety practices. One of those improvements is that we no longer use heat of any kind in the drying process in our grooming salons."

Apparently PETCO still uses heat, and of the killing kind, in their drying process.

This is beyond heartbreaking. Dogs suffer immensely when they expire from overheating.

I do not understand why people go to PETCO for grooming and training classes. PETCO is a discount store. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:19 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times
Saw this today. Guess my backyard hose and a beach towel dryer is still the best method to bath my dogs.

Sad for the family - not only lost a loved pet, but lost it in a horrific way.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,057 times
Horribly sad.
It boggles my mind that first, Petco is so careless in its training and supervision, and second, that people still take their pets there for training, daycare, and grooming.
Never, no way, no how.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,163,582 times
Petco is probably good for pet supplies, but after the horrible things I've read in the past few years I would never entrust a pet to their care. I can't understand how thoughtless and irresponsible a person can be to not even check and make sure the pets they were taking care of or grooming were all settled and safe before leaving. If they didn't even think about pet safety, just being orderly and cleaning up their work area would alert them that a living breathing being was in a place they shouldn't be. People say that I am OCD when it comes to checking, but I would rather hire someone that has OCD then this thoughtless excuse for a human being. I wonder how they could ever sleep a peaceful night again. And, people don't say it's just a dog, she was someone's family member. Stories like these make me so angry.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Sorry, Petco, pets are not your priority when something like this happens. Where the hell was the employee? Texting? Where's the explanation for how this could have happened? When the owners think of their beloved pet dying, alone, in a strange place, wondering what he did to deserve such treatment, it must break their hearts.

BTW, this happened here about 10 years ago. A small breed of dog was left to die in a cage with hot air blowing on it.

This sucks.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
This is disgusting and I feel very sorry for the pet owners. Interestingly, when we first got Darcy, a dog that had lived in many shelters over the 7 years before we adopted her, we took her to Petco for grooming while we were next door at Costco. I don't know what made me leave Costco and go check on her, but when I walked in, they told me that Darcy was not cooperating with them and it would take several more hours. I saw Darcy, she was terrified, and I told them that I was taking her home immediately. When they told me that she wasn't dry, I told them that I had a heater in the car.

Never again. All of her grooming, what there is of it, is done at home by me.
We had the same issue with Walter one time and I guaranteed them if they did not bring Walter out to me immediately it was going to get ugly very quickly and he was only there for a bath.
Four hours for a bath? We have never walked into one of those stores again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs