Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Excellent suggestion, thank you!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but thought I would suggest that we start a new thread on dog-related books of all kinds including fiction, sport-related, general interest, working dogs, etc.
I've got a pretty extensive collection of books about dogs (for the most part, a few on cats, horses) and it nearly fills all seven shelves of a three foot wide bookcase. Every so often I think that I should take my laptop over to it and start a thread listing all those books, fiction and non-fiction. Maybe I can take some time this coming Sunday to get a list started but I don't think that I couldn't get the whole thing listed in one attempt.

I think it could be a good resource for anyone looking for books on all sorts of canine related topics. So let's get one going soon.

Just did a quick count and I think it's 145 titles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I've got a pretty extensive collection of books about dogs (for the most part, a few on cats, horses) and it nearly fills all seven shelves of a three foot wide bookcase. Every so often I think that I should take my laptop over to it and start a thread listing all those books, fiction and non-fiction. Maybe I can take some time this coming Sunday to get a list started but I don't think that I couldn't get the whole thing listed in one attempt.

I think it could be a good resource for anyone looking for books on all sorts of canine related topics. So let's get one going soon.

Just did a quick count and I think it's 145 titles.
Let's do it! You put me to shame though with all those titles

Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Dog on dog interactions- dog park behavior and shelter dog-dog testing; good discussion and descriptions of behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-F-X6NooJM

Thoughts?

Old 08-24-2015, 11:50 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Is there a fight in the video above? i got part way through it and then stopped because I'm a wuss and didn't want to see a dog fight. If there isn't, I'll finish watching. I do agree with what I did see and it reinforces my decision that even if I had dogs that played well with others, I'd never take them to a dog park.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:31 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
No, there was no fight....Go ahead and watch....Very interesting!!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Is there a fight in the video above? i got part way through it and then stopped because I'm a wuss and didn't want to see a dog fight. If there isn't, I'll finish watching. I do agree with what I did see and it reinforces my decision that even if I had dogs that played well with others, I'd never take them to a dog park.
No- no fight, I am sorry, I should have mentioned that. The first part of the video shows 2 dogs relentlessly bullying a 3rd dog, and the remainder of the video focuses on shelter dog introductions.
I will try to remember to be more sensitive to that in the future and do a short synopsis so that nobody worries that they are about to watch something ugly.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 08-24-2015 at 06:17 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 06:30 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
We are adopting a dog and when we went to visit the parents the other day, after we each sat down, the dog sat in front of my husband with his back to my husband and tilted his head all the way backwards to lick his face. He then came over to me, sat with his back to me, and tilted his head all the way back, but fell over and bonked his head on mine but still gave me a lick.

We are dog lovers and didn't mind, but wouldn't it be easier for a dog to face you to greet you (lick your face)? Wondering what this means for a dog to sit against you with his back to you and then tilt the head all the way back, it looks like it would hurt. I looked it up but couldn't find it.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
We are adopting a dog and when we went to visit the parents the other day, after we each sat down, the dog sat in front of my husband with his back to my husband and tilted his head all the way backwards to lick his face. He then came over to me, sat with his back to me, and tilted his head all the way back, but fell over and bonked his head on mine but still gave me a lick.

We are dog lovers and didn't mind, but wouldn't it be easier for a dog to face you to greet you (lick your face)? Wondering what this means for a dog to sit against you with his back to you and then tilt the head all the way back, it looks like it would hurt. I looked it up but couldn't find it.
I am no expert but the fact that the dog was sitting so that his back touched you means he enjoyed interacting with you. Many dogs love butt rubs...our dogs all give us their butts which prolly looks like they are backing into us.

If he sat at a distance from you with his back to you that would mean something altogether different. Exactly what I'm not sure...maybe a calming signal?

What breed did you decide on daylux? Congrats on your upcoming adoption.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I am no expert but the fact that the dog was sitting so that his back touched you means he enjoyed interacting with you. Many dogs love butt rubs...our dogs all give us their butts which prolly looks like they are backing into us.

If he sat at a distance from you with his back to you that would mean something altogether different. Exactly what I'm not sure...maybe a calming signal?

What breed did you decide on daylux? Congrats on your upcoming adoption.
Thank you! Our girl used to scoot back so her backside was touching us and then tilt her head back and look at us. It reminded us of her so wondered if that was a breed trait.

It's taken some time but we decided on another English cocker spaniel. This is the breed for us. We found a cocker spaniel breeder who breeds for health, conformation and temperament and she shows them in competitions. She's also a part of the English Cocker Spaniel club to improve the breed so we feel confident this time around. There's a waiting list but we really feel it's worth it.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 AM

Default Alert barking at novelty item

Dogs are extremely sensitive to changes in their environment or anything that is unfamiliar or unexpected. My soft boy is always a little shy of new signs or flags in someone's yard.
Dog Body Language Study: Intruder in the Yard! - eileenanddogseileenanddogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs