Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times

Advertisements

now what brown cow, go to the rescue, and search for the pet who needs a home
and wants to be spoiled rotten!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I vote for a Shih Tzu...had one for 8 years...cute, mellow, intelligent and trainable, beautiful, BUT coat is high maintenance. Skin tends to react to too much heat (skin rash), eyes prone to infection as it is always wide open, but gentle and huggable as they can be.

Lhasa Apsos were good for me too...had 3 all at one time...less hair than Shih Tzu...but a little more temperamental at times.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Ok.. the Shih Tzu is not a mellow dog..my dad has two of them and they are mean as heck..and my mom has a Scottish Terrior and he is mean.. I don't think any little dog is mellow.. I have never met one yet that is mellow.. bigger dogs are more mellow.. but hey thats just my opinion.. and every one has their own preference.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
Quote:
I have never met one yet that is mellow.. bigger dogs are more mellow..
Met any Pugs lately? I've met many rowdy Labs and Goldens in my day.

But I agree about Shih Tzu's, they do have a tendency to become snappy. And Scotties are known to have a mean streak as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
Default You are looking for a pug.

We have 2...

This breed will easily meet all your needs. The only thing I worry about is leaving them home so much, they are very affectionate and need you. They are not destructive in your absence but they are little lovers and get lonely easy. Maybe you could get 2 just to keep eachother company while you are gone all day.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Actually I have come across some pugs they are quite cute and don't try to snap your fingers off when petting them.I guess there is one or maybe two little dogs that aren't mean.. but most if them are.
We have 3 huge dogs..Sam is the brown one.. the Mantle one is Sadie (she is a Great Dane) and the one with my daughter is Duke (he is a Great Dane also).. he is only 8 months old.. and weighs over 110pounds now and growing....they are three big lapdogs... Everyone has their preference in animals.. I would like small dogs but I want a loving dog that can protect me when needed not a little mean one that will only bite your heels off..lol..
Attached Thumbnails
looking for a mellow dog-dscf4262.jpg   looking for a mellow dog-dscf2933.jpg   looking for a mellow dog-dscf4182.jpg  

Last edited by wolfeyes; 02-06-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Get an older dog, of any type. A mutt will likely have more years ahead of him than a breed. If you favor some kind of breed, look on petfinder and find an adult dog who is part-breed-type.
Older dogs are the best- not wild, plenty of life in them, great company. I've adopted from age 3 up to age 14 (and now have dogs aged 7,8,9,10, 12, 17. Only the 12-year-old did I get as a puppy. I love older dogs.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I have the ONLY know Jack Russell Terrier Sofa Slug, he was a rescue somewhere around 2-4 when I got him...he has been the love of my life and very laid back even for a Jack!!! However, I'm also a horse person and I've been around lots of Jacks....these are NOT appartment pets, they are farm dogs and need lots of exercise. Mine is definately the exception to the rule...I've been offered lots of $$$$ for him.

He will spend 24/7 guarding the couch to make sure it doesn't float away while I'm gone (this is a serious job as we all know those couches can disapear in a heartbeat) He loves to go out for walks and is lively outdoors but he spends his days between the bed and the couch.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Whippet mix, maybe?

You might be able to find a Whippet mix around the size you want. Ours is a mix of Whippet and maybe rat terrier or Jack Russell. Picture a Jack Russell on stilts.

Whippets have short bursts of energy and like to run very fast for short distances and then sleep all day (I've heard them called 45 MPH couch potatoes).

They're very mellow, quiet, clean, and don't shed much. Some like to chase cats and squirrels, but ours doesn't. He only chases things like pork chops or such.

Regal was seven months when we adopted him from the shelter. Easy to train? Not really..they're pretty independent, but ours was easy to housebreak and won't walk through puddles or dirt--he's clean like a cat. He comes back to us for a piece of kibble, otherwise, he can be deaf to our calls. I'm the dog whisperer with a dog who can't hear me...but I love him for his mellowness and gentle spirit.

He walks very nicely on a leash, trots like a long-legged horse, and loves to greet people. He is truly Regal.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Everyone I've ever spoken to says that greyhounds are the calmest, most couch-potato dog in the world. I've rarely seen people with only one-they seem to adopt well in pairs or groups! They like their walks, but love their peace and quiet and affection.
Just google "greyhound rescue" for your next best friend(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs