Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:01 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This statement is what is wrong with some dog owners. It's not that a dog cannot be contained in their yard, it's that some dog owners are too lazy or cheap to do what it takes to keep a dog enclosed. You can build a high fence, take your dog out on a leash for a controlled walk instead of letting him out by himself if necessary. You do whatever it takes or you don't need to own a dog. Keeping a dog on a chain most of the day is illegal in many places for good reasons. Again, if you need to keep your dog outside on a chain for a good portion of his life, you don't need to own a dog. Owning a dog, is not a God given right. Dogs are not a piece of furniture.
hahaha Just wait till you get a dog that Cant be kept in! Check my photos For the Blue Merle Sheltie named Shamrocks Stephanie! ALL those Obedience titles I Never could pen her up! What she didn't dig under Even with the Fence Burried a FOOT under ground! She Climb 10 Foot Tall fences! I come home a Many time she be on the porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
And?
You did what you could do, just because you think it is not what he should have done means nothing.
Called Animal Control

Old 12-23-2015, 04:20 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
I live in pretty much RURAL Tennessee... No fences...no one goes with a leash law... We have to drive by a house directly at the bottom of our hill... 2 dogs ALWAYS. AND I MEAN ALWAYS, chase our car......they jump off a porch if they see us turn to go up the hill.. OR they lay DIRECTLY IN THE ROAD during the summer...... They don't move so it's
Like DODGE EM dogs.... driving around them... Hoping they don't get up... It is very stressful.... The owner will even be sitting on her porch...on her cell and smoking a cigarette...NEVER even looking up....as her dog is barking and running in front and along the sides of the vehicle.......SHE DOESN'T CARE.....Ridiculous....You can't talk to that kind of lunatic....

Old 12-23-2015, 06:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I take a dog back once. If the owner doesn't care, I take the dog in my house and call animal control. They ticket for that sort of thing where I live. They get a few tickets and the dog somehow stops escaping.
Great idea!

Old 12-24-2015, 04:46 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
hahaha Just wait till you get a dog that Cant be kept in! Check my photos For the Blue Merle Sheltie named Shamrocks Stephanie! ALL those Obedience titles I Never could pen her up! What she didn't dig under Even with the Fence Burried a FOOT under ground! She Climb 10 Foot Tall fences! I come home a Many time she be on the porch.
This will not ever happen to me because I make it a point to so whatever it takes to confine my dog on my property without a bunch of excuses like you are stating. If I had a Super Dog with incredible powers like yours, I would not let her out of the house unless she was on a leash and next to me when outside. Does she open window and unlock doors to escape?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:19 AM

I had 32 dogs at the time Only the 1 got out! Tho when she dug under she let the other dogs out. I even built her a Cement Floored pen with top on it She still got out. Even Old with Arthritis she still get out. When we moved into my sons home she get out of her crate. Let the others out their crates... had 5 dogs then. Then my Lab would open the back door into the yard for them!
My trainer had a Am Staff...better known as Pit bull that would get out of Any Crate or kennel. She tried ALL kinds of crate inc locks on them! Bad part is she go kill the sheep she boarded for another trainer that trained Herding dogs! After replacing the sheep 2 times she went out got a Llama! That kept the dog out of the sheep area! Not talking about a Untrained dog Both these dogs had Obedience Titles The Am Staff was Duel Champion with Points out the wazoo towards his OTCH title! Also he did agility & Fly ball. This dog was also her demo dog for ALL her classes 2 classes in the evenings & 4 on Saturdays ... when not at shows. Her Seizure Alert dog... so he went everywhere with her inc work. Looking back I wondered with ALL that dog did if it wasn't stress that he felt he had to release just be a dog. Enjoy Freedom from responsibility. BTW there was Never a Tooth mark on the sheep!

Katie Didn't Leave my Property! Neither did the AmStaff!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:38 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This will not ever happen to me because I make it a point to so whatever it takes to confine my dog on my property without a bunch of excuses like you are stating. If I had a Super Dog with incredible powers like yours, I would not let her out of the house unless she was on a leash and next to me when outside. Does she open window and unlock doors to escape?
There are dogs, not Super Dogs, who CAN open doors, windows, and crates. I have two who can open a single slide lock crate FROM THE INSIDE! I still do not know how - but they do it. Their magic does not work on the double-lock crate I now use. Personally, a Sheltie climbing a 10 foot fence sounds like an exaggeration to me, but hey, what do I know! Not my dog. I can believe a dog digging under a fence buried a foot, but that is also pretty exceptional.

Otherwise, I agree, one does what it takes. I have had two "runners" in my life. One, an adult adoption, I took back to where I got her from after I had tried working with her for a few years. I finally had to give up and admit defeat. She gave the next owner the same problems - I do not know what they did. MAYBE, if I had been able to run her for 15 miles a day, she would have responded better. Daily walks were not enough. She laughed at them. I'll never know what might have been, as I didn't have the time then.

The 2nd one I had to keep the fences mended, and bury them a foot down, or she would be out. She and I finally came to a better understanding when she got to run a couple miles a day. She passed away this spring, at the ripe old age of 14. The last 5 years or so she had a blown out cruciate ligament - but still wanted to run every day. I have to say, she had vigor.

It's one thing to have a dog loose in the country, if all you have around is dirt roads. I live in NE, in a "densely populated" rural area. I still consider it rude for a dog to run free around here, as do most of my neighbors. I have one neighbor, a friend, who often let their dog out to run free. However, he has the good manners not to bother neighbors, or use the roads. He sticks to the woods, which we have plenty of. So nobody objects. I have lived in places in AR and TN where it was accepted.

But if it is an urban area, or even a small town setting, I like the response - tell the owner once, then call animal control.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
I'm surprised to read that so many allow their dogs to run loose. We live in a rural area as well and when someone sees a dog they grab it and return to the owner because we all know this shouldn't be.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
There are dogs, not Super Dogs, who CAN open doors, windows, and crates. I have two who can open a single slide lock crate FROM THE INSIDE! I still do not know how - but they do it. .
Then you should put a lock or S hook or carabiner or something to keep them from getting out, unless your dogs are locksmiths too.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I"m gonna be moving but people in this area do not care about what their dogs do.

The man next door lets his dogs loose in the front yard, but he is always outside with them.

I have 2 small dogs and many dogs have gotten out, and come towards them. two pitbulls just yesterday, but the owner saw them get out in fact he was in the backyard playing with a tug rope with them.

One dog is aggressive and has gotten out 3 times and he's an indoor dog, the last time he climbed the 4 foot fence to come at my dogs.

There is also a family home nearby that lets their Chihuahua out to roam the streets in the morning. There is a busy street a few houses from where they live but so far the dog has been lucky.

A Rottweiler got out too once, but he was friendly, I always pick up my 2 small dogs when a loose one approaches and he just walked back to his house with us.

The scariest was when 2 pitbulls came out of the bushes and there was no owner around. I said nonononono and they stopped and I just picked up my dogs and kept walking.

I never let my dogs roan without a leash. I fear that if they do get out they do not know how to cross the street. but I think they are used to having the leash and harness. I don't even let them in the backyard alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs