Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,973,761 times

Advertisements

Just an observation: some of the people on this thread don't like the idea of dogs in apartments because they (the people) don't like apartments for themselves. That really doesn't answer the original question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,257,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
I grew up with a lab who had a big backyard with a dog door to go in and out as he pleased, now as a single adult who would like to get a dog I'm debating the pros and cons of the two. I'd like to get a 40+ lb dog and do dog daycare as well and can't imagine having dog(s) stuck in an apartment/condo (the dog daycare would have to be ruled out in this scenario) while I'm gone. I've been told by several dog owners it's not really too much of an issue as their dogs can hold it for a long time. I'd like to hear some other opinions.

Just to clarify - the dog daycare wouldn't be an official business, just Rover and DogVacay. I'm usually only gone 4-6 hours at a time, this amount of time will be shortened to ~3-4 hours within a year.
I don't see how living in an apt./condo versus a house makes a difference as to how long your dogs have to hold it unless in a house you keep them outside in a fenced area unsupervised for many hours at a time where they can go as they please. Or you have a doggy door with a fenced area. If not you simply take them out/let them out to potty as needed or as you can whether it be house or apt./condo. Obviously that would be easier in a house than an upper level apt./condo. But unless you choose to force your dog to hold it longer cause you don't wanna do all those stairs it shouldn't matter.

Our dogs hold it for 10 hours on days we both work and for 7 hours overnight but we don't have small dogs who can have more potty limitations/issues than larger dogs. We limit their water intake for an hour before we leave and while we are gone for any extended periods and take them out to empty their bladders...we have potty on verbal cue...right before we leave to make sure they aren't forced to hold a full bladder. One of us stays home all night on days we both work to ensure full access to fresh water and lots of potty opportunities.

It's not the best idea to allow dogs unsupervised in fenced areas for extended periods of time. Stuff can and does happen...fence gate left open unintentionally or opened intentionally by irate/creepy neighbors or kids looking to prank, dogs stolen, dogs dig under fencing to escape, fence fighting with neighbor dogs, etc. Many people have never had this stuff happen but those who have sure wish they hadn't left their dogs out unsupervised.

If you do something like DogVacay you shouldn't ever leave dogs who don't know each other well and thus have not demonstrated a consistent ability to get along unsupervised (even for a few hours) unless they are all safely crated (without collars/harnesses to hang themselves on and comfy with being crated). Baby gates won't cut it as dogs can too easily jump or chew through those. There are liabilities with dog daycare that dictate you maintain a much more vigilant presence than with your own well mannered/behaved dogs...primarily that the dogs haven't had many weeks of getting to know each other and that people often lie about how well their dogs get along with other dogs. Plus dogs left in strange, new surroundings...such as your fenced yard...can freak and try to escape to get back to their owners. I know quite a few dogs who can easily climb a fence.

All that said I think you can successfully have a 40 lb. dog in an apt./condo as long as you have the right dog and are a responsible owner.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,257,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Small dogs can exercise Inside Big dogs need to have Room to run!
Not always. There are some large breeds/individuals that don't need much exercise.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,914 times
I've lived in apartments with my big (55-70 lb) dogs for 13 years now. No problems at all. They have both been fit, healthy, and trim all their lives.

Yes, it's a hassle to leash up in the middle of the night (or in the freezing cold or the pouring rain or the blazing sun) to walk the dog, but the frequent walks are good for them (and me).

And yes, it's tough sometimes to manage leash-reactivity around other dogs, especially if the complex has lots of dogs. The dog owners in my complex just tend to give each other lots of space when we're out with our dogs.

I don't say that EVERY dog would do well in an apartment. I think temperament and energy level has a lot to do with it. I've had low-key dogs -- yes, it's possible for Siberian Huskies to be low-key! -- so the small size of the apartment has not been an issue. We do dog parks and dog training and walking for exercise and to blow off steam, and my current boy loves to play fetch inside the apartment with a tennis ball or his plushie toys.

I'd say the qualities for a good apartment dog are:
  • medium to low energy
  • ability to calm down quickly
  • quiet - not barky
  • no fear or suspicion of people
  • no strong guarding instincts
  • no destructive behaviors (e.g., chewing the walls, ripping up carpet, inside marking)

Those characteristics play more of a determining role than size or breed.

My other suggestion is that you try to live on the ground floor, if possible, and if that's not possible, introduce yourself to the neighbors who live below you. Be open with them about your dog's playtime -- my dog is rambunctious when I first come home from work, of course -- and let them know that they are welcome to tell you if/when you are being too loud.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKiwi View Post
I grew up with a lab who had a big backyard with a dog door to go in and out as he pleased, now as a single adult who would like to get a dog I'm debating the pros and cons of the two. I'd like to get a 40+ lb dog and do dog daycare as well and can't imagine having dog(s) stuck in an apartment/condo (the dog daycare would have to be ruled out in this scenario) while I'm gone. I've been told by several dog owners it's not really too much of an issue as their dogs can hold it for a long time. I'd like to hear some other opinions.

Just to clarify - the dog daycare wouldn't be an official business, just Rover and DogVacay. I'm usually only gone 4-6 hours at a time, this amount of time will be shortened to ~3-4 hours within a year.
I know people who have good luck with Greyhounds, especially retired ones, in this type of situation. They are med/large but still graceful. Low energy, but still fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs