Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever taken their pet with them to another country? I'm thinking about going to Australia for 4-6 months this year, but I've got a dog and I don't want to kennel her for that period of time. I know there's several hoops to jump through to get her into Oz, and she'd have to be in quarantine for about three or four weeks (though I would be allowed to see her during that time). But what are the ramifications on coming back into the USA with her? Since she originated here, I should just be able to bring her on back in without quarantine on this end of things...right? I mean, long as I have all her paperwork and such...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
I think the dog would be happier staying put with someone you really trust, like a kennel, or retired couple (what kind of dog is he?). Since Australia's population is concentrated in a small percentage of the land, you'd not be able to go riding through the outback, or mingling with the locals in town, if Fido were there. I think it'd be a liablility, and he'll adapt. I use to care for a friends' dog when he went on military ops.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Has anyone ever taken their pet with them to another country? I'm thinking about going to Australia for 4-6 months this year, but I've got a dog and I don't want to kennel her for that period of time. I know there's several hoops to jump through to get her into Oz, and she'd have to be in quarantine for about three or four weeks (though I would be allowed to see her during that time). But what are the ramifications on coming back into the USA with her? Since she originated here, I should just be able to bring her on back in without quarantine on this end of things...right? I mean, long as I have all her paperwork and such...
I'm interested in this as well. I've considered visiting Australia with my dog, but I thought the quarantine period was longer. Also, I'm not sure I could afford to stay in Australia long enough to make the quarantine period worth it. Three or four weeks doesn't seem that bad if you're staying for 4-6 months though, IMO.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,363,333 times
I've flown to different countries with my dogs. The difference was I was living in the countries that I was going to. IMO I would leave the dog with a very trusted friend or family member if you are only going for a few months. Your dog wont hate you for it, he/she will just be happy as punch to see you when you get back!

It costs a lot of money to take your dog to another country especially if you have to quaratine them. The quarantine fees for a month can be very high, plus you're going to need quarantine testing and vaccinations, more $$ and that is ontop of the airfare. Plus I'm not sure if the airlines still have heat restriction times, since the dogs travel as live cargo under the plane. You might not be able to travel at certain times of the year due to the restrictions.

The main thing though is the stress that your dog will go through. Some dogs handle it better than others. Plus, you've got the added stress of being in quarantine and then all the traveling afterwards. It can be very hard on them especially since in your case you won't be staying there on an extended basis.

I don't know what you'll be doing over there, but I would really take into consideration if you're going to be able to find hotel rooms that accept dogs, restaraunts, shops etc. This can put a bit of a damper on vacation plans.

Wish you and your pooch good luck and safe travels.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
I don't have anyone that I can leave her with. It would have to be a kennel, which is okay for a weekend but not for such a long time. I wouldn't be staying in hotels when I'm in Oz, there's friends there that also have dogs so I figured a vacation for the dog too :P Anyway, yes I know it would be expensive but just thought I'd look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs