Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,560 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information on this condition beyond what I have found on the web. My 12 year old pointer mix was just diagnosed with an infiltrative lipoma on his thigh. The leg is starting to collapse on and off during short walks. He is not a candidate for surgery. When I asked the vet if it hurt him, she was very non-committal. She asked if I wanted to start him on pain meds. I am less concerned with the fact that he will eventually go lame in that leg than whether or not he is in pain. So I am unclear if the collapsing and limping leg is due to pain, or just that the tumor interferes with the use of the leg.

Should I just start pain meds? Are any meds better than others? I am looking for quality of life for him - he is a sweet guy. I want him to have a nice spring, summer and fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellingamCallie View Post
I am looking for information on this condition beyond what I have found on the web. My 12 year old pointer mix was just diagnosed with an infiltrative lipoma on his thigh. The leg is starting to collapse on and off during short walks. He is not a candidate for surgery. When I asked the vet if it hurt him, she was very non-committal. She asked if I wanted to start him on pain meds. I am less concerned with the fact that he will eventually go lame in that leg than whether or not he is in pain. So I am unclear if the collapsing and limping leg is due to pain, or just that the tumor interferes with the use of the leg.

Should I just start pain meds? Are any meds better than others? I am looking for quality of life for him - he is a sweet guy. I want him to have a nice spring, summer and fall.
A non-committal response to a question about pain isn't acceptable. It is fine for a vet to say that they don't know, that it depends on the individual dog and how the lipoma progresses, but here are the likely scenarios; it is not ok however for a vet to simply side step a question on pain but then follow it up with a question about pain meds.

If I were in that situation, I would need to get clarification from the vet, and if your vet didn't provide it before, ask for a comprehensive discussion of what to expect and what the options are. Depending on their response, get either a second opinion or look for another vet.

All that said, you know your dog best- and remembering that dogs hide pain well- I might start pain meds to see if they made a difference.

I am sure others will have more information.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:11 PM

thanks, yes I realized it was unacceptable but I did not press her. My vet left the practice so I saw someone else, and she just didn't seem to know whether it would be painful or not. She did say it would likely grow around the entire thigh. I do understand this does not end well for him.

Part of the issue is that he fractured that same leg between the knee and ankle about 4 years ago. It has a rod and plate, so I was not sure if his on and off limping was due to that (plus age) or this new tumor. then today the leg collapsed on a short walk (she recommended 10 min walks only) and he seemed upset, I could tell something more is happening. My poor buddy. Going for walks is his fav thing in the world.

Since posting I put a call in and asked to start him on something. He is 55# and we have only stairs up into our house so my plan was to keep him happy and pain free until he can no longer climb the stairs.

The vet he has seen for years moved to a new practice, I found her, but she is not seeing new dogs until April. Once she is able to see him, assuming he is still with us, I will switch back to her.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I agree with twelvepaw. Not to repeat, but you do know your pet best and must be his advocate.

I'm wishing a nice spring, summer and fall for your pup too. Hang in there.

ETA: after seeing your above reply. I totally relate with your angst over possibly not being able to take your dog on walks that he's always loved. I have a French Bulldog who suffered a broken elbow twice within four weeks last fall. His life and world has forever changed...nothing is the same as before. He can't even go outside in the yard without being on lead. I could make this a long story but in short...Wolfgang's still a happy boy with his new normal. It's been harder on me, I think, and I still second guess my choices and decisions. But considering the alternative I was faced with, I'm glad he's still here...loving his food, laying in the sun on beautiful warm days, cuddling with me most evenings and enjoying his house mates...two Boston Terrier girls and our old Lab mix female.

Wishing the best for you both.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
Part of the issue is that he fractured that same leg between the knee and ankle about 4 years ago. It has a rod and plate, so I was not sure if his on and off limping was due to that (plus age) or this new tumor. then today the leg collapsed on a short walk (she recommended 10 min walks only) and he seemed upset, I could tell something more is happening. My poor buddy. Going for walks is his fav thing in the world.
His upset at his leg giving out may be due to pain or it could simply be confusion over why his leg isn't 100% anymore.
Are you able to put him in the car and drive him to the park so that you can meander around the park at his leisure, and then hang out between short walks? Doing so would extend his time out of doors and even if he can't walk the whole time, he might enjoy hanging out and watching what is going on at the park.
Try to stay positive- after my dog's illness last year I no longer accept diagnoses as a foregone conclusion.
Best wishes.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM

He is too wild to take in the car in that he will injure himself further at this point. When he shattered that leg and we had to drive him to Tufts he had to be held down - he was trying to run around holding that leg up. He broke that leg by getting airborne - when he was under 5 he could jump an 8 foot fence from standing still. So athletic!

So he seems worse, rather than better after resting for a few hours. I will bring him to the vet tomorrow. That foot is curling a little, and he can't put weight on the leg. The leg could not re-break with all the hardware, but now I am wondering if that tumor could be something worse that is invading his spine. We chose not to biopsy to confirm because he is too old for surgery, and the lipoma will come back anyway.

He has a huge crate that he loves (we call it his condo) so we will keep him quiet tonight. He seems upset, I am sitting with him on the floor. Love my poor boy.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Sometimes Wolfgang seems worse after resting...I liken to my own bones/joints ridden with arthritis...I feel better staying as active as I can. lol I try to take Wolfgang on multiple short walks throughout the day. I also wanted to mention I do believe the cold laser treatments he's been getting on and off the last two years have helped...and we've also tried acupuncture. Lastly, he's on Previcox. Surgeries in or near joints are certain to bring on arthritis. The Previcox helps along with a heated throw he can lay on. I love my poor boy too.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:

I would start pain meds and see what happens...they should relieve/reduce the collapsing almost immediately if it is due primarily to pain. Most vets use Tramadol or Metacam. Don't use Rimadyl...too many reports of nasty side effects. Some dogs are fine on it but others are not.

You could also try Cluster Dissolving by Kan Herbs. Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) as practiced by my holistic vet has greatly helped all of my dogs. One of my dogs was recently diagnosed with an infiltrative lipoma by my traditional vet. He recommended surgery since it is in an area that could cause lameness and be difficult to remove if it enlarges. I am awaiting my holistic vet's opinion on the Cluster Dissolving for Tango. https://www.pureformulas.com/cluster...kan-herbs.html as I'd rather avoid surgery if possible.

I have heard reports of Frankincense serrata essential oil successfully reducing the size of both tumors and lipomas but that did not seem to help my Tango. Although his lipoma has not grown and my traditional vet was concerned that it likely would so perhaps the Frankincense stalled it's growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs