Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wish I had heard about this 13 or so years ago. I'm not sure I can really teach my old dog this new trick. Maybe the 9 yr old Lab will do it, she's a digger anyway. Thanks for the tip!
And I am sure you can. It is one of the easiest things I've ever taught my dogs. If she cannot balance three legged then have her sit for this training.

If you don't wanna do the treat under the towel thing then try this...

1) sit on a low stool with some treats in your hand and a driveway (or sidewalk) crack at your feet
2) let your dog watch you stuff a smelly treat really far into the driveway crack (so far she can't get it out)
3) do nothing if she licks it or noses it; if she stares at you look at the treat or point to it
4) click or "yes" and treat her the instant she paws at it to try and get it out
5) click or "yes" and treat her every single time she paws at it to try and get it out; I could not keep up with one of my dogs for this step but my poor timing didn't hinder his learning at all
6) do this for just a few minutes (less than five) several times a day

In a couple days you will have a dog that wants to paw the driveway (even with no treat in the driveway crack) every time you sit on that stool. If you have a cement driveway and live in a temperate climate you'll prolly never have to make your emery board cause the driveway will likely be rough enough to file her nails. If not or you prefer she use an emery board...

7) sit on your low stool and set the emery board under your feet in such a way that there is plenty of board for your dog to paw but also that your feet are securing the board in position
8a) your dog paws the emery board at which point you click or "yes" and jackpot her with lots of little treats
8b) your dog does not paw the emery board at which point you then let her watch you stuff a treat really far into the driveway crack and set the emery board up against the treat so that when she paws at the treat her paws naturally scrape along the emery board at which point you click or "yes" and treat her
9) click or "yes' and treat her every single time she paws the emery board
10) once your dog is consistently pawing the emery board you can begin reducing the click or "yes" and treat from every single paw to every other paw to every third paw back to every other paw to every fourth paw and so on and so forth
11) if your dog tends to favor using one foot more than the other...try this only after she has been consistently and happily pawing the emery board...you can wait her out a little by not treating her for any paws at the board with her favored foot; she will very likely try pawing the emery board with her other foot at which point you click or "yes" and jackpot her with lots of little treats
12) click or "yes" and treat her every single time she uses her less favored foot while continuing the random treating schedule for her favored foot
13) once your dog is consistently pawing the emery board with her less favored foot you can begin reducing the click or "yes" and treat from every single paw to every other paw to every third paw back to every other paw to every fourth paw and so on and so forth

You can put this on verbal cue or not. I didn't. My dogs go nuts when I get the emery board out and can't wait to start scratching at it.

It doesn't matter if your dog doesn't yet know that the click or "yes" means she did a good thing. She will after you get through step 6. Bonus...two lessons in one.

Remember not to overdo. It's very addictive because the dogs love doing it. But you don't want them to file their nails into the quick...ouch.

You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 PM

325 posts, read 228,833 times
I just tried this with my puppy b/c last night i was trying to clip his nails an he only let me get a couple on each front paw an anyway he loves to dig outside but when i tried the 1st part w/ towel for dig he wouldn't use his paws he only did w/ his mouth but when i introduced clipboard he would do it but only if i said paw not dig but we'll keep workin on it b/c his nails grow fast an get long an sharp.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
I just tried this with my puppy b/c last night i was trying to clip his nails an he only let me get a couple on each front paw an anyway he loves to dig outside but when i tried the 1st part w/ towel for dig he wouldn't use his paws he only did w/ his mouth but when i introduced clipboard he would do it but only if i said paw not dig but we'll keep workin on it b/c his nails grow fast an get long an sharp.
Gooch...try the driveway crack method I outlined in my last post. Or stay with the towel method but place your feet on the towel so that he cannot uncover it with his nose. Just wait him out...patience. He will eventually try with his paw after attempting with his nose fails and when he does jackpot him generously with many tiny pieces of treats.

You don't have to say anything. And it's prolly better if you don't...if you use a verbal cue and he doesn't always comply then you are unintentionally watering down the meaning of the verbal cue. Let him figure it out. He will.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm going to try it tomorrow.
You're welcome. Keep us posted on your progress. It's fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs