Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 27,430 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm getting a Border Collie in the fall, and need to save money and develop a monthly budget. I already have the bare bones supplies - harness, leash, bowls, and some toys etc.
Food - how much do you spend a month? Was thinking of feeding Taste of the Wild, which is roughly 50/30 lb bag. How long would a 30lb bag last a 40 pound dog?
Vet - how much is an annual checkup, and shots, per year? (average is fine, or whatever you personally spend)
Emergency fund
Agility classes around 60 a month
Toys?

Am I forgetting anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Heart worm and flea & tick preventatives. The monthly cost is significant.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Heart worm and flea & tick preventatives. The monthly cost is significant.
You would also need a heart worm test annually (45) and generally you should also do a fecal (20) once a year. I'd start the dog on hip and joint supplements early on.

In addition to those things your dog may also need bordatella (35) twice a year, lyme (42) and leptospirois (42) vaccines depending on your location. Rabies (20), 1 year supply of HW preventative (140). Flea & tick solution (7 - 10) per application - around here the vets are recommending every 3 weeks which is 17 times per year.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
I had two large dogs (father and his son) that ate Dog Chow. One large bag lasted just about one month. In addition I would buy neck bones that I boiled up and placed in the freezer for a once a week treat. They did get my table scraps or would leave part of my plate to add to the dry food....additional treat and added taste.

They hardly ever got out alone so flea problems was a rare thing to worry about.

Only problem was some dog in heat and one or the other got out for 3-4 days and then FLEAS.

Flea collar and a spray does help there.

Toys?......never as they were too big for that.

Father lived for 14 yrs and his son 9 yrs and they both passed a yr apart with the same look alike symptoms.

Debated on getting another dog but my time is limited and would hate to dump it on a stranger or one of my Adult kids.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:17 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Where are you based? Costs vary with region. Plus I know in Denver, we have a few low-cost clinics that can seriously cut down on prices for low-income folks.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about a schedule for your time. Border collies need to be entertained.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:04 PM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Toys?......never as they were too big for that.
No dog is too big for toys. They don't all want them, but they are never too big. There's a Great Dane in my neighbourhood who always takes his "teddy bear" outside on walks with him. His human told me he never leaves the house without it. Ever.

I used to have border collies. They loved anything soft and stuffed that squeaked. As a puppy they will likely go through toys faster than as a grown up. Plus balls for fetch. I had one border collie who would fetch until your arm fell off and then wonder why you stopped. The other would always catch the ball, but refused to bring it back. She did not like fetch so much. You'll want to find out which kind you have, because border collies need things to do. They love to work. When not given tasks, they find tasks. One of mine would find moles in the back yard and throw them around. We assume this was because they sounded just like her toys. The other would gladly herd any loose dog in the neighbourhood back into its yard.

Border collies are awesome.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfas View Post
Hi! I'm getting a Border Collie in the fall, and need to save money and develop a monthly budget. I already have the bare bones supplies - harness, leash, bowls, and some toys etc.
Food - how much do you spend a month? Was thinking of feeding Taste of the Wild, which is roughly 50/30 lb bag. How long would a 30lb bag last a 40 pound dog?
Vet - how much is an annual checkup, and shots, per year? (average is fine, or whatever you personally spend)
Emergency fund
Agility classes around 60 a month
Toys?

Am I forgetting anything?
Yes, you have forgotten to do your research on border collies. So let me give you the short version in an effort to help prevent another bc from being surrendered time and time again.

A border collie is NOT a dog for a first time owner. Border collies are one of the most surrendered dogs- many silly people think they want a "smart" active dog without realizing what they are getting into. Very few people are ready for a dog that will (sometimes literally) turn their world upside down.

Do you have a minimum of 4+ hours a day to spend training, playing, and providing various types of mental and physical exercise?

Are you aware that border collies are genetically inclined to be noise and storm phobic, they are often reactive, and want to herd everything in sight. Dogs from working lines can be very "sharp" = edgy workaholics who need constant stimulation and work. Soft border collies can wilt at a sharp "no". Many border collies don't play well with other dogs, not because they are aggressive, far from it they tend to love everyone, but rather because they want to herd - relentlessly- and if at a dog park they will try to herd all the dogs up, and often seriously lose their mind because they go so into herding mode that you can't call them off, oh and they also tend to get nippy when they are frustrated by not being able to round up all the dogs, and not many dogs will put up with being nipped and herded.

If you are going to do agility you will also need to focus on ongoing age-appropriate physical conditioning and training that involves additional time and equipment. Many border collies aren't physically sound enough for agility. What will you do if your pup keeps coming up lame? Hydrotherapy at a physical therapy rehab center is expensive. Agility classes with a good trainer are also expensive- far more than $60/month. The last I checked, our local agility champ trainer charges $50/hour for private coaching, which you will need if you want to advance.

What do you know about training? It is VERY easy to ruin a sports dog early on with the wrong training. Are you aware that bc's respond faster and more efficiently to body language than to verbal commands? Do you have resources like Susan Garrett or Fenzi Academy to use to learn the basics?

You aren't ready for a border collie puppy much less all the related expenses.

I have owned, fostered, and done rehab on numerous bc's. The vet bills are considerable. Just in the past year:

Veterinary chiropractor- $150- injured when he was playing soccer and leaped up and twisted in the air.
Vet- $75 to be seen for a gash on my boy's hip inflicted by an insane foster dog who got frustrated because he wouldn't let her herd him.
Vet- about $250/year for vet visits due to him being structurally unsound- he routinely goes lame from any sort of prolonged herding or play above "normal" exercise. Oh, and lets not forget the time he literally ran the pads right off his feet- I was standing right there watching him and he looked fine, no signs of stress, but he was so amped up playing that it wasn't until I went to put him in the car that he limped and collapsed, and then was in so much pain that my sweet soft boy snapped at me.
Vet - $4,000 when he came down with an undefined virus that nearly killed him last August. I am still paying that one off.

Reputable brand of non-ivermectin heart worm safe for border collies (look it up)
Food- a quality food for my two dogs runs about $150/month.

Think again about a border collie. If you are set on one, then adopt an older dog or foster one to get a feel for whether they are right for you.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:18 PM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Are you aware that border collies are genetically inclined to be noise and storm phobic, they are often reactive, and want to herd everything in sight. Dogs from working lines can be very "sharp" = edgy workaholics who need constant stimulation and work. Soft border collies can wilt at a sharp "no". Many border collies don't play well with other dogs, not because they are aggressive, far from it they tend to love everyone, but rather because they want to herd - relentlessly- and if at a dog park they will try to herd all the dogs up, and often seriously lose their mind because they go so into herding mode that you can't call them off, oh and they also tend to get nippy when they are frustrated by not being able to round up all the dogs, and not many dogs will put up with being nipped and herded.
This is all true. I didn't know it was a genetic trait, but my BC would wedge himself behind the toilet whenever there was a storm going on. They terrified him. And he did herd all the neighbourhood dogs, as I mentioned above.

My other BC did actually hate other dogs. She never attacked, but she had no patience for them. If they tried to interact, she growled a warning that was a very clear "get away from me now". I never saw another dog push further to find out if she really meant business. She did herd them if they were running around.

Quote:
I have owned, fostered, and done rehab on numerous bc's. The vet bills are considerable. Just in the past year:

Veterinary chiropractor- $150- injured when he was playing soccer and leaped up and twisted in the air.
Vet- $75 to be seen for a gash on my boy's hip inflicted by an insane foster dog who got frustrated because he wouldn't let her herd him.
Vet- about $250/year for vet visits due to him being structurally unsound- he routinely goes lame from any sort of prolonged herding or play above "normal" exercise. Oh, and lets not forget the time he literally ran the pads right off his feet- I was standing right there watching him and he looked fine, no signs of stress, but he was so amped up playing that it wasn't until I went to put him in the car that he limped and collapsed, and then was in so much pain that my sweet soft boy snapped at me.
Vet - $4,000 when he came down with an undefined virus that nearly killed him last August. I am still paying that one off.
These are all incidental. Neither of my BC's ever had more than an annual check up until the day they were clearly too sick to go on (both aged 14 when they went). Neither showed any signs of being sick until a month before it was time to let them go. They aren't necessarily going to incur these types of vet bills; however, as with any dog, there is always the possibility of something going wrong, or an accident, that would require a vet. This is not breed specific, but it's always good to have a just in case fund.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
If she does agility she will be more prone to some extra vet bills. Dash tore a toenail and had to have it surgically removed when I let some kids play with him and run him through the agility course while I worked Jazz. They had him flying over the A frame a zillion times and when I looked over I saw he was covered in blood but still running for them. When I went to check it out It was his toe.

Chaos fell off of the dog walk and we ran up some big vet bills but they could not find the issue but she could not move well and was in pain . It did not show up right away but a few weeks latter as playing had aggravated the injury. A chiropractor got her fixed up but it was not cheap .

Many of our agility friends take their top dogs to an animal physical therapy place on a regular basis. And our clubs agility classes run $120.00 for 6 weeks for club members and more for none members. And it will take way more then 6 weeks to get a dog trained in agility.

If this is your first dog I too would question the choice of a border collie as they really are not first time owner types of dogs. People see well trained border collies and think Oh I want a dog like that and do not really look into the breed. If they do not get enough stimulation they can be demolition machine, I have known people that had them chew up couches, human beds, insides of cars and even eat a hole through a wall! I would say if you are a renter really rethink it as dogs doing damage to rental properties is why many people will not rent to people with dogs.

They usually can jump 6 ft fences without a problem. My neighbors had one that I was constantly finding out when I would go out as it would jump the fence. My Jazz who was BC X ACD would jump a 6 ft fence if I left the property and she was out.Even as a puppy when my mom was out back with her. I went to the store my mom went in to answer the phone and a few minutes later she went back out and puppy Jazz was gone. Luckily I had a brother that lived near my parents and while Jazz and I had only visited them and my parents a few times she seemed to know that they were family and she loved my little nephews so if she could not find me they would do. That first time my poor mom combed the neighborhood and could not find the puppy .As she returned home one of my nephews shot out their door yelling "Grandma look who came to visit us" with Jazz in tow.

They not only need a lot of physical exercise but a lot of mental stimulation. A nurse I know got a border collie puppy and it was her first dog. It only took her a few weeks to realize maybe she was in over her head as it was none stop energy and that does not change they can stay that way pretty much their whole life. She even had a boyfriend that was with it while she was at work. I gave her names of several friends with Border collies who said they would help her but she changed jobs and no one knows what happened with the dog.

I think too many people get border collies and Aussies without really knowing what they are getting. They see well trained ones and think that is a cool dog I want one and sadly many end up in rescue. If you are really set on getting one do try to hang out with a few before maybe dog sit or foster for a week or so so you can see what life is like with them.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
If she does agility she will be more prone to some extra vet bills. Dash tore a toenail and had to have it surgically removed when I let some kids play with him and run him through the agility course while I worked Jazz. They had him flying over the A frame a zillion times and when I looked over I saw he was covered in blood but still running for them. When I went to check it out It was his toe.

Chaos fell off of the dog walk and we ran up some big vet bills but they could not find the issue but she could not move well and was in pain . It did not show up right away but a few weeks latter as playing had aggravated the injury. A chiropractor got her fixed up but it was not cheap .

Many of our agility friends take their top dogs to an animal physical therapy place on a regular basis. And our clubs agility classes run $120.00 for 6 weeks for club members and more for none members. And it will take way more then 6 weeks to get a dog trained in agility.

If this is your first dog I too would question the choice of a border collie as they really are not first time owner types of dogs. People see well trained border collies and think Oh I want a dog like that and do not really look into the breed. If they do not get enough stimulation they can be demolition machine, I have known people that had them chew up couches, human beds, insides of cars and even eat a hole through a wall! I would say if you are a renter really rethink it as dogs doing damage to rental properties is why many people will not rent to people with dogs.

They usually can jump 6 ft fences without a problem. My neighbors had one that I was constantly finding out when I would go out as it would jump the fence. My Jazz who was BC X ACD would jump a 6 ft fence if I left the property and she was out.Even as a puppy when my mom was out back with her. I went to the store my mom went in to answer the phone and a few minutes later she went back out and puppy Jazz was gone. Luckily I had a brother that lived near my parents and while Jazz and I had only visited them and my parents a few times she seemed to know that they were family and she loved my little nephews so if she could not find me they would do. That first time my poor mom combed the neighborhood and could not find the puppy .As she returned home one of my nephews shot out their door yelling "Grandma look who came to visit us" with Jazz in tow.

They not only need a lot of physical exercise but a lot of mental stimulation. A nurse I know got a border collie puppy and it was her first dog. It only took her a few weeks to realize maybe she was in over her head as it was none stop energy and that does not change they can stay that way pretty much their whole life. She even had a boyfriend that was with it while she was at work. I gave her names of several friends with Border collies who said they would help her but she changed jobs and no one knows what happened with the dog.

I think too many people get border collies and Aussies without really knowing what they are getting. They see well trained ones and think that is a cool dog I want one and sadly many end up in rescue. If you are really set on getting one do try to hang out with a few before maybe dog sit or foster for a week or so so you can see what life is like with them.
^^^This is the primary reason so many Aussies end up in rescue. Way too much energy and smarts for the average dog owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs