Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I do not think it is on any more but Animal Planet use to have a show called Venom ER. It followed Dr. Sean Bush at Loma Linda's hospital which is where most serious snake bites get flown too in the So Ca Area as he is a venom expert. It was a great show and taught you all about the different rattle snakes and the differences in their Venoms. Very educational for people that live among rattle snakes.
I haven't had cable for many years so never watched Animal Planet, but will look to see if hulu or prime has reruns of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I love the garter snakes we have around here...nerdy, I know. We thankfully have no poisonous types except in the western part of our state. Those nasties are one of the main reasons I crossed the entire SW US off our list of possible retirement relocations. Those and monster bugs nixed the entire SE US. Well, weather too.
Yes, I love garter snakes. I haven't seen any where I currently live, but I had several nests of garters at my home in mid-state NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 04:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I really do think shock collars are fine when you're teaching something that could save your dog's life and it's the most effective way to do it. But I'm not sure this works for all dogs.
I was looking for information on the internet on how to teach this myself, without the shock collar. Only really found references for professional outfits.

I have two Labs and one of them has a strong prey drive. She catches baby rabbits in season and will respond to the 'drop it' command, but we have to be there to actually say the command. She found a disabled bat under a shrub one day and seemed confused at the noises it was making, but she kept a safe distance, so I have hope that she has some sense in her. We have taught them 'leave it' as well for an all around don't-touch situation. Again, not sure if that would be enough if we weren't present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We run our GSP's through snake avoidance. They are due again this year...
Do you mind me asking what the training is like? Do you walk on leash and correct them if they show an interest in the snake? Do you use shock collars?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

Do you mind me asking what the training is like? Do you walk on leash and correct them if they show an interest in the snake? Do you use shock collars?
The clinic I go to will not allow you near your dog during the event. You hand off your dog to a handler, they walk your dog to an area away from view where the snake and another person is located and they take care of it.

My female immediately rushed in to 'attack the snake', whereas my male 'locked up' his legs and had to be dragged towards the snake. My female required a little extra work.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:54 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
.......Do you mind me asking what the training is like? Do you walk on leash and correct them if they show an interest in the snake? Do you use shock collars?
If you are really lucky and the trainer is really good, the dog wears a shock collar and gets hit with a full power shock just as a defanged rattlesnake strikes at them. If the collar is full strength it should knock the dog into a back flip and make it forevermore frightened of rattlesnakes that can hurt so badly.

Probably with the majority of non-hunting dogs, the dog gets a jolt for getting close to the snake and noticing it. The trainer wants to dog to notice the snake and approach it with curiosity to sniff at it.

Ideally, the dog would be running loose in a controlled environment and the trainer waits by the snake until the dog notices it and approaches. Probably in a clinic with a lot of dogs waiting their turn, the dog would be brought to the snake.

Also in ideal training, the dog is trained to run to the handler for protection instead of just bolting. A dog that bolts is in a lot of danger if there are any roads in the area.

For all of you knee jerk anti-shock collar people, no one uses a shock collar set any higher than to tingle except when a dog is being trained aversion to snakes and taught not to kill sheep. Since in both of these situations, the training can be saving the dog's life, it is not hard to justify that brutal shock, given one time. One shock is much better than the dog dying a horrible death or being put to sleep for livestock chasing.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:59 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Our friend and breeder almost lost one of her female GSP's to a rattler bite. Really not fun. I'm glad she pulled through 'cause she is my big boys momma!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The clinic I go to will not allow you near your dog during the event. You hand off your dog to a handler, they walk your dog to an area away from view where the snake and another person is located and they take care of it.

My female immediately rushed in to 'attack the snake', whereas my male 'locked up' his legs and had to be dragged towards the snake. My female required a little extra work.
Isn't that funny, I have a male and female too. My female is the bolder one, my male much more timid.

When they chase rabbits in the backyard, my female gives them chase and my male stands at the exit that they usually take under the fence to try and catch them on the way out. lol It's kind of scary how they're different but work together like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you are really lucky and the trainer is really good, the dog wears a shock collar and gets hit with a full power shock just as a defanged rattlesnake strikes at them. If the collar is full strength it should knock the dog into a back flip and make it forevermore frightened of rattlesnakes that can hurt so badly.

Probably with the majority of non-hunting dogs, the dog gets a jolt for getting close to the snake and noticing it. The trainer wants to dog to notice the snake and approach it with curiosity to sniff at it.

Ideally, the dog would be running loose in a controlled environment and the trainer waits by the snake until the dog notices it and approaches. Probably in a clinic with a lot of dogs waiting their turn, the dog would be brought to the snake.

Also in ideal training, the dog is trained to run to the handler for protection instead of just bolting. A dog that bolts is in a lot of danger if there are any roads in the area.

For all of you knee jerk anti-shock collar people, no one uses a shock collar set any higher than to tingle except when a dog is being trained aversion to snakes and taught not to kill sheep. Since in both of these situations, the training can be saving the dog's life, it is not hard to justify that brutal shock, given one time. One shock is much better than the dog dying a horrible death or being put to sleep for livestock chasing.
Thank you for explaining. That makes a lot of sense now, why I haven't been able to find much about doing it yourself. I don't have a rattlesnake in my back pocket to assist!

The area we want to move to does not have rattlesnakes, and I've been told that even the poisonous snakes don't pose as much of a threat, especially to dogs the size of ours (70 and 80 pounds). Couple that with never letting them off leash in an unprotected area and being diligent in our own yard, and it's probably not as big of a concern for us. But it's always good to know options.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
For all of you knee jerk anti-shock collar people
That was uncalled for.

Had you instead said that "the use of a shock collar in rattlesnake avoidance training when used by a certified professional can save a dog's life and as such is a legitimate use of a shock collar," then I would have agreed with you.

Quote:
For all of you knee jerk anti-shock collar people, no one uses a shock collar set any higher than to tingle except when a dog is being trained aversion to snakes and taught not to kill sheep.
Who is the "no one" you are speaking for? You must be speaking for yourself? Because why would you assume that no one else sets a shock collar higher than a tingle? You feel justified in using a shock collar, but it isn't safe to apply your specific situation to the general public who I can assure you does indeed not only set the shock collar on more than just a tingle but also uses the shock very non-specifically and with very poor timing. End result = one royally messed up dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs