Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 08:07 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times

Advertisements

I recently began using Costco's Duck and Chickpea grain-free food. My kelpie mix no longer gets excessive eye boogers or has that mild thinning hair on his ears. Still not sure what exactly it is that doesn't agree with him, but I think beef and chicken are the likely culprits. Fortunately, it's not a severe allergy, and it looks like his itchiness (he obsessively scratches on occasion) is a compulsion issue and possibly a moisturizer issue (adding coconut to his diet).

But I'm curious what brand the costco brand is analagous to - who produces it for them? Anyone know? Or, alternatively, what's a good duck and chickpea brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 AM

231 posts, read 334,481 times
According to an USER COMMENT on a consumer affairs website, it is made by Diamond Pet. I don't know how accurate that site is but Kirkland brand pet foods have low ratings there.

My pup also has a problem with chicken. I tried wellness and nulo chicken puppy food and she was constantly itchy. Before I knew of her allergy, I gave her chicken breasts and eggs and those also made her fur fall out near her mouth area.

She would steal my dog's Orijen Senior food which has chicken in it and would not have a problem. So, I started feeding her Orijen puppy with chicken and she has no problem with this food. Before that, she ate TOW salmon food and she did fine on that too.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
According to an USER COMMENT on a consumer affairs website, it is made by Diamond Pet. I don't know how accurate that site is but Kirkland brand pet foods have low ratings there.

My pup also has a problem with chicken. I tried wellness and nulo chicken puppy food and she was constantly itchy. Before I knew of her allergy, I gave her chicken breasts and eggs and those also made her fur fall out near her mouth area.

She would steal my dog's Orijen Senior food which has chicken in it and would not have a problem. So, I started feeding her Orijen puppy with chicken and she has no problem with this food. Before that, she ate TOW salmon food and she did fine on that too.
Orijen was horrible for my Catahoula. He was always gassy. On Petfood Advisor they don't review the duck and chickpea, but the Kirkland Grain-free gets 3-4 stars out of 5. Not stellar, but not bad. I used to do Taste of the Wild for my border collies, which they loved, but it was also not good for my Catahoula when I got him and I had to switch the bcs to senior food at that point anyway.

High-end food does not agree with the Catahoula (which mystifies me), and with the kelpie I'm just trying to find a combo that agrees with him. It wasn't just the beef and chicken he had a problem with - it was also the salmon.

So it's a pretty cheap food and it agrees with both of my dogs. And Diamond isn't a terrible dog food company, I don't think. I may just supplement their diets with some of the meats and veggies that I eat.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times
Yeah my greyhound /Sheppard mix has a rear leg lypoma the size of a hard ball. Had it aspirated and cytology was inconclusive . Paid out $200 bucks for that waste of time. Now the vet wants $1000 to remove it, but all the literature suggests leaving it alone as it's not bothering the dog. We are changing
the diet to no grain and typical food full of garbage that precipitates toxins that seek dump pockets within dogs tissue forming lumps.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Natures Domain was the exact same ingredient list as one of the ultra-premiums, so I assume that is who made it and sold it under Costco's label. Sorry, I don't remember who it was and it has been sevreal years since I bought kibble and read dog food labels.

There is nothing wrong with Diamond. They make many different grades of dog food under several different name brands. The economy grades aren't as good as the premium grades. Read labels to see what you are buying.

There are very few (very very few) co-packers for dog food, so most of the brands are all coming out of the same factory.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:18 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
But I'm curious what brand the costco brand is analagous to - who produces it for them? Anyone know? Or, alternatively, what's a good duck and chickpea brand?
I can't answer the Costco question, but other good brands with duck include Fromm's Duck and Sweet Potato, Fromm's Hasen Duckenpfeffer, Nature's Variety LID Duck meal, and also Nature's Variety Duck and Turkey Raw Boost, Canidae Pure Sky Duck, and Natural Balance Legume and Duck.

I don't know how they each compare ingredient to ingredient with Costco, and I don't recall another brand with chickpeas, but you might find something comparable. There are a couple above with atypical ingredients like sweet potato.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:27 AM

155 posts, read 117,938 times
Wow Openmike, I would love to see a picture of your Greyhound/Shepherd mix. Love those sight hounds (by the way I see you are from WI I was born & raised). Only been in AZ for almost 3 years. Grain free has always been the route for our dogs. Especially our Italian Greyhound that has a sensitive tummy. Goodness that girl used to go to work with me once a week at doggie daycare for 6 years. She is a food hound. Never know it by looking at her. If she got one piece of food that dropped on the floor at naptime. Look out!!! There was a lot of none quality food. Oh the gas kicked in on 1 kibble.

Jrz, it's been a trial & error with our dogs. We have just had the best luck with TOTW Salmon. Good luck...we have gone thru a few foods to find the right one. We have 3 dogs now, but 5 at one time.

Last edited by AZIggy; 05-21-2016 at 02:38 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 07:20 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,384 times
I don't know who makes it but I read Diamond. I tried it because the ingredients seemed fine and the price is good. My dog had huge poops from it, and a lot of poop.

I switched her to Taste of the Wild Wetlands Canine Formula with Roasted Wild Fowl and haven't look for any other food. My setter does excellent on it- no gas, no huge or excessive amounts of poop. According to what I'm reading online Diamond makes this food too. If that is true, I'm not sure why she does better on this formula over the Costco Kirkland brand, but she does.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I don't know who makes it but I read Diamond. I tried it because the ingredients seemed fine and the price is good. My dog had huge poops from it, and a lot of poop.

I switched her to Taste of the Wild Wetlands Canine Formula with Roasted Wild Fowl and haven't look for any other food. My setter does excellent on it- no gas, no huge or excessive amounts of poop. According to what I'm reading online Diamond makes this food too. If that is true, I'm not sure why she does better on this formula over the Costco Kirkland brand, but she does.
Diamond has several manufacturing plants for different pet food brands. The quality of the food and why you are seeing a difference between TOTW and Costco is likely (as with any 2 foods) not only the different ingredients but the quality of the various ingredients. TOTW is a quality food; Costco is a better than average store brand. Additionally, each of Diamond's manufacturing plants varies in its management and quality based on the requirements of each of the companies it manufactures for.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 AM

211 posts, read 409,220 times
Performatrin has a Potato and Duck formula that my Mastiff loves.....he was on Orijen for years, and while he liked it, it would sometimes not agree with him....and he was gassy than normal on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs