Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times

Advertisements

One day he ll wolf down cooked chicken, then next day he turns his nose up at it, he sometimes likes dog food with his dry food mixed through or some pasta mixed with it, other days he walks past it and wont touch it, Today he had cooked minced beef with carrots and loved it, but as Im saying he probably wont look at it tomorrow , so what am I doing wrong, or is he just one fussy dog...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
he just has discerning tastes or perhaps part cat? dogs have taste buds for sure and like us they probably feel like eating some things one day but not the other. cracks me up when I offer mine a table scrap she smells it first before deciding she will take it, it isn't like I have eve offered her anything bad. if it doesn't bother you, your dog is a bit fussy I wouldn't worry about it, unless of course he stops eating all together.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Why do you cater to this behavior? We feed our dachshund dry food only. We do try to give him what he likes the best, but only within the dry food framework.
For example, he likes the Purina with little crunchy nuggets mixed in. Some days he will only pick out the crunchy nuggets and leave the rest. Fine and dandy, but at supper time he only gets the leftovers and he is hungry enough to eat them.
If I were you, OP, after I made sure that my dog had a nice healthy mouth and teeth, I would practice a little tough love.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
You just described Lady-bug my pap. Has to be Fresh! No leftovers for her. If cook chicken she eat it But wont eat it the next day. Open a can of Dog food she all over it next day No way! She did this till she was 2.5 to 3 years old. Even now once in awhile she pulls this stunt. I have no advice just wanted to let you know your not alone

BTW I Raised & bred dogs this was the Only one that was like this. Tough Love don't work unless you what the dog to starve. Tried that! Lady ended up Starved & in the ER.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:47 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Well today hes had pasta mixed with dog food put out for him, walked past if , not interested but some cooked chicken went down a treat with pasta added, so no two days are exactly the same in this house, He might not eat anything else today, he s a good weight so Im not worried , just wondered if others had such a fussy dog..... the two dogs i had years ago would eat anything put down for them, and ate it right away, not this wee fusspot.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,573,204 times
We have the same dog!! It's so frustrating.
She tells us she's hungry by getting in our faces and burping. We'll think she's finally ready to eat, so we make her a bowl. But no. She'd rather starve.
I've tried more than a dozen dog food brands, wet and dry, expensive to inexpensive.
I'll cook beef for her. Sometimes she'll eat it.
I'll cook chicken for her. Sometimes she'll eat it.
We even got goat's milk at a specialty pet store the other day. She loved it, but not with her food.

And then there's our other dog. He's like a vacuum cleaner. He even eats veggies. Such a good boy.
The good thing about him is that we know whatever we buy that our other dog won't eat, he will.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,954 times
Have you stuffing kibble inside a treat ball?

My older pup is picky with her kibble. However, she didn't even notice it's the same kibble when she eats them from the treat ball. Making a dog work for its food sometimes trigger them to want to eat. For the cooked food, feed them to your dog as treats for completing a command. A simple sit and treat, etc.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Because you allow him to be picky.

We had a rule with our dogs: If they didn't finish the food, they didn't get a substitute. Sometimes they simply were less hungry, and the next day they would eat it all.

Their appestats kept them on the right course.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:18 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Wow, your dog gets first class food, of course he is picky!

Mine can't afford to be like that. She either eats the given food or not. If she doesn't, I take it away. Lesson learned - next feeding time she ate it!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:39 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Two issues.

You are over-feeding so your dog isn't hungry. Unless you can easily feel the dog's ribs, your dog is too fat. Stop feeding treats that meet his caloric needs, some dogs will eat what they need and no more.

You have trained your dog to be picky. Your dog has learned that when he turns up his nose something even better appears in his supper dish. Put his meal down, leave it down for 15 minutes, remove any uneaten without saying a word. Treats are not to be mixed in with his food. The treat is placed into his empty bowl after he eats his dinner. It is dessert, not a bribe.

I occassionally have really picky dogs (and kids) stay with me. At my house, they eat just fine, no pickiness. Then they go home and start the picky act.

The only dog I've ever had who simply would not eat was in the last stages of liver cancer. No other dog has refused to eat a quality diet. Dogs will eat a poor quality diet, too, if they are hungry but that has never been tested at my house since we don't feed poor quality food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs